Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Narwhal purring maybe 🤔  ;D
The Pub / Re: what I have learned today.
« Last post by rogerzilla on Today at 07:05:46 pm »
The god Priapus' sacrificial animal was the ass.

Those Romans certainly had a sense of humour.
Racing / Re: RATN 2024.
« Last post by JonBuoy on Today at 07:02:43 pm »
There are a couple of other audaxy names that I recognise.  Also  -  Dimitri Franz used to work at Loughborough University and ride with a local group that I am a member of.  I persuaded him to do a 200k back in 2019 which I believe was his first audax.
The Pub / Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Last post by Mrs Pingu on Today at 06:50:43 pm »
Phone rings.
Them: Oh hi ma'am, this Simon from O2
Me: O rly, I suppose you're here to offer me 40% discount are you?

I must have had 4 or 5 of the same scam calls in the last fornight
OT Gallery / Re: Bugs
« Last post by Salvatore on Today at 06:50:17 pm »
This peacock was so intent on sucking bluebell nectar that it was oblivious to my presence. Each time it moved to a different flower it ended up nearer me, and in the end it was closer than the lens' closest focusing distance.

Racing / Re: RATN 2024.
« Last post by Lightning Phil on Today at 06:48:37 pm »
Yes, one and the same. Lee Killestein also riding.
The Pub / Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Last post by Mrs Pingu on Today at 06:35:46 pm »
It's the law you know.
The Pub / Re: Tune Association II - Son of Tune Association
« Last post by rogerzilla on Today at 06:34:10 pm »
Baby I Don't Care - Transvision Vamp
Further and Faster / Re: New bike for Audax from Halfords.
« Last post by andyoxon on Today at 06:25:00 pm »
...I shall ride 25 Km in the cyclo park first...

Another 2p.  As a training goal you could see if you can eventually build up do 25km in 1hour.  Not that I've done an Audax at an average speed of 25km/h before, but over 25km - if have reasonable potential fitness, may be a challenge to try.  Training on the same track could be 'boring' though, so after a while perhaps take it to a decent handful of diff routes...

Varying the routes isn't just a nice thing to do to make training less boring - as per previous post, experience of road riding is essential.

There's too much well-meant-but-misguided positivity in this thread, and focusing on daft stuff like inner tubes instead of what actually matters. As an organiser, I wouldn't be happy about accepting an entry from the OP - for their own safety.

Apologies for any potential bunkum spouted.  ;)  I was kind of assuming since the OP was thinking about joining a cycling club & doing Audax, that they had resonable road riding experience to build on.  I went through several years of hardly riding at all, but prior to that had had experience of commuting in London / cycle tours etc, but anyway... 

[Maybe if OP doesn't have much previous road cycling experience, as other have said, 'all things in good time' build it up slowly, safely, concentrate on building confidence / road skills first, perhaps riding on familiar quieter road routes, at quieter times of day, gradually increasing distances; go out with any experienced cycling friends...etc]

The Sporting Life / Re: County Cricket 2024
« Last post by Peter on Today at 06:22:36 pm »
There is good precedent at Durham, too: Potts made a big century for them as watchman and it was his highest score.  Weather not looking good for Sunday but it's nicely poised!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10