Author Topic: carbon frame on a trainer  (Read 1193 times)

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
carbon frame on a trainer
« on: 11 February, 2021, 05:36:24 pm »
I'm on day 3 of a 10-day isolation at home, so rather than go bonkers indoors I've bought myself a trainer to go for a ride around Watopia.

In the back of my mind I've a memory of reading somewhere that carbon bikes can suffer if they are on a turbo for too long. Is that true?
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: carbon frame on a trainer
« Reply #1 on: 11 February, 2021, 05:37:17 pm »
Some carbon frames lose their warranty on trainers, others are specifically approved for use.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/does-a-bike-trainer-damage-your-bike/
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2 on: 11 February, 2021, 05:39:38 pm »
Clamping the rear triangle puts more stress (or at least, different stresses) on the tubes than riding on the road.

Whether that's a problem in practice is not something anyone can answer.

« Reply #3 on: 11 February, 2021, 07:42:52 pm »
Clamping the rear triangle puts more stress (or at least, different stresses) on the tubes than riding on the road.

I think a lot of people have concluded it’s fine, but I use a steel bike in preference to alloy or carbon on the trainer. It’s an odd choice as I think about it as it’s actually just about my favourite frame. However, I don’t really want to take it outside in the salt.

Apart from tube loading, you probably don’t want carbon dropouts moving in the quick release.

« Reply #4 on: 11 February, 2021, 08:42:09 pm »

I think a lot of people have concluded it’s fine, but I use a steel bike in preference to alloy or carbon on the trainer. It’s an odd choice as I think about it as it’s actually just about my favourite frame. However, I don’t really want to take it outside in the salt.

Apart from tube loading, you probably don’t want carbon dropouts moving in the quick release.

Be wary of the sweat/salt coming off your body when on the trainer.  Rivulets running down the seat post into the seat tube and all over the drive train. Pins seizing id you have a disc set up.
We are sharing a ti bike on the turbo at the moment and its amazing to watch how quickly some of the components are pitting and degrading despite a regular wipe down.
often lost.

« Reply #5 on: 11 February, 2021, 09:50:53 pm »
So the ideal machine would be fixed with no brakes.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #6 on: 11 February, 2021, 10:04:25 pm »
carbon frames no problem (if it's tightened properly to the trainer), biggest problem is alloy handlebars which can turn into white powder after a winter or two.

« Reply #7 on: 11 February, 2021, 10:07:29 pm »
I'm using my Van Nic Yukon ti on the Kickr.  It's the bike I do most long rides on and has tri bars so seems the best choice for spending several hours a week on.

May be my imagination but being ti it seems to allow quite a bit of lateral movement/flex.  Also being ti there's little risk of sweat damage, although with the 3 Cleva fans I've yet to notice any drippage  ;D
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #8 on: 12 February, 2021, 01:35:41 am »
I'm using my Van Nic Yukon ti on the Kickr.  It's the bike I do most long rides on and has tri bars so seems the best choice for spending several hours a week on.

May be my imagination but being ti it seems to allow quite a bit of lateral movement/flex.  Also being ti there's little risk of sweat damage, although with the 3 Cleva fans I've yet to notice any drippage  ;D

snap!
we are using the exact same bike on the trainer too. Its my partners and the frame is too small for me so I have to jack a seat post and saddle up high to have elbow/knee room.
Switching out bikes would involve swapping out cassettes etc to so its the best case compromise for us to share.
I concur on the ti/sweat issue and the fact there feels to be decent flex there on the turbo.
often lost.

gibbo

• Riding for fun, cake and beer.
    • Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #9 on: 12 February, 2021, 09:06:28 am »
I was concerned with the potential of overly stressing the frame resulting in some kind of failure so I built a rocker plate which helps here plus it gives a more IRL feel to riding.

Loads of info on FB in the Rocker Plates group.

« Reply #10 on: 12 February, 2021, 10:05:12 am »
My rationale id I ride a UCI hologated carbon frame, a version of which has been ridden in grand tours. I put out barely a 10th of the peak power of a pro, I'm really not stressing the frame.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #11 on: 12 February, 2021, 02:58:49 pm »
I’m more concerned that, whilst my power doesn’t match that of a pro, my weight matches that of about 1 1/2 of the little b****rs

YMMV:)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #12 on: 13 February, 2021, 10:35:53 am »
I’m more concerned that, whilst my power doesn’t match that of a pro, my weight matches that of about 1 1/2 of the little b****rs

Your Mass May Vary?

:p

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #13 on: 13 February, 2021, 11:24:43 am »

Your Mass May Vary?

:p

J

:)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14 on: 13 February, 2021, 01:32:14 pm »
I rather fancy one of these things:

https://youtu.be/e03YInAVt2k

But what I really want is Spring.