Off Topic > The Pub

Do you have a British accent?

<< < (20/20)

L CC:
There is an age old 'rivalry' between the Tyne and the Wear.

I say rivalry, but really, Sunderland is a boil on the arse of the northeast. In my teenage dialect, 'Mackem' was always followed by 'scum'.

CommuteTooFar:
A number of times when I was younger.  First time in a pub (18) I was asked where I was from I replied Radyr. He replied no you are  not, you are not from Cardiff or Wales. When I was at university (Brunel) Uxbridge people said I did not sound welsh.   

I met a post man while doing Christmas sorting. He was very exact at accents. He could identify the other casual workers which part of Cardiff they were from. We thought possibly he had read the application forms and connected the names. That was not the case. When he listened to me he said I do not know where you are from it could be Lisvane or Radyr one of those funny northern Cardiff areas. Your parents are from the Rhondda Fach. Close. Mum was from Wattstown (in the Rhondda Fach) but dad was from Ynysybwl (The next door valley).

I think my accent would of changed a little now. More obviously Welsh.

Davef:
“You speak very good English, you must be Scandinavian”.
I regret not responding “in contrast, you must be American” to the US ambassador to Nepal.

fd3:
The Beeb reckons I'm from Yorkshire - very kind of them.  Their system doesn't account that I wanted more than one answer to some questions.

I was recently asked by an Irish colleague where my accent was from, I told him I was foreign, to which he said, "Yes, I know you're from Southern Ireland" ... not remotely.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version