Author Topic: Fairlight  (Read 1327 times)

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
Fairlight
« on: 14 November, 2023, 06:38:41 pm »
I've discovered that my new employer has a £3k limit on Cycle to Work. If you have the chance to buy a Fairlight Strael, is it immoral to refuse to do so?
Everyone's favourite windbreak

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
Re: Fairlight
« Reply #1 on: 14 November, 2023, 07:25:33 pm »

Morat

« Reply #2 on: 14 November, 2023, 08:42:48 pm »
Oooooohhh!!

« Reply #3 on: 14 November, 2023, 08:43:28 pm »
Probably not immoral but likely unwise

or returning from a very wet ride with afterburner on (and winter tyres)

« Reply #4 on: 15 November, 2023, 10:34:57 am »
Ethically unforgivable IMO.

Perfect audax rig

But also dresses up very nicely for a spin to the cafe on Sundays

« Reply #5 on: 15 November, 2023, 05:56:46 pm »
Hi. Where did you get that lovely derailleur mount for the dynamo light?

Ethically unforgivable IMO.

Perfect audax rig

« Reply #6 on: 15 November, 2023, 06:36:14 pm »
They sell that light mount on their website

https://fairlightcycles.com/product/dynamo-rear-light-mount-drive-side-retail-stock/
or for you continentals,
https://fairlightcycles.com/product/dynamo-rear-light-mount-non-drive-side-retail-stock/

TBH, I thought £20 for a small piece of plastic was a bit much so I was inspired to make my own from some bits and pieces I had in the garage.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #7 on: 15 November, 2023, 11:07:16 pm »
My Faran 2.0, now repalced with a 2.5

And after day 1 of KAW, over a very wet Salisbury Plain

“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #8 on: 16 November, 2023, 10:09:15 am »
They sell that light mount on their website

https://fairlightcycles.com/product/dynamo-rear-light-mount-drive-side-retail-stock/
or for you continentals,
https://fairlightcycles.com/product/dynamo-rear-light-mount-non-drive-side-retail-stock/

TBH, I thought £20 for a small piece of plastic was a bit much so I was inspired to make my own from some bits and pieces I had in the garage.

Wot he sed. Came with the build. The dynamo wiring Fairlight do is very neat (read: internal), but the flip side is that it's not possible to change the side the light is mounted without basically rewiring the rear light. Could be a non issue, but was a minor frustration when I wanted to take it to Europe.

« Reply #9 on: 16 November, 2023, 12:21:00 pm »
Do it. ;D

I have had my Strael 3.0 for just over 2 years and covered around 24,000km and I still absolutely love it. The only issues I have had have been with with hope rear wheel (rim cracked at 14000km, and replaced FOC my Fairlight) and the Son hub in the front wheel (Bearings gave in at 17,000km, again sorted FOC without issues).
Its so comfortable, does everything I want.
I spoke to loads of people with Fairlights at PBP and no one had a bad word to say.
Earlier ones did suffer from rust internally, but they appear to have it sorted on newer frames. Mine has seen 2 winters in and some very wet Audaxs but the inside still looks like new.

In fact I love it so much I have just ordered a Secan to complement it.

Owen
Old Enough to know better, young enough not to care.
Facebook, the toilet wall of the modern generation

« Reply #10 on: 16 November, 2023, 12:29:56 pm »
The only issues I have had have been with with hope rear wheel (rim cracked at 14000km, and replaced FOC my Fairlight) and the Son hub in the front wheel (Bearings gave in at 17,000km, again sorted FOC without issues).

I had exactly the same experience RE wheels. I think the Hope wheels let down the build overall - rear rim cracked around all the drive side spoke holes about 6000km, and they were an absolute pig to get the tubeless tape redone after the rim was replaced. Took 4 visits to 2 separate shops before they sealed properly. Then Son hub shat the bed not long after. Everything covered under warranty with no quibbles by Son/Hope, but a bit disappointing to have to do after 6mo of ownership.

Morat

« Reply #11 on: 16 November, 2023, 03:35:38 pm »
Oh dear, I think this may have to happen then. I'd call it peer pressure but I can't make that claim. The distances you are quoting make me  :o
More pondering and dithering required...

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #12 on: 16 November, 2023, 05:12:51 pm »
Do it. ;D

I have had my Strael 3.0 for just over 2 years and covered around 24,000km and I still absolutely love it. The only issues I have had have been with with hope rear wheel (rim cracked at 14000km, and replaced FOC my Fairlight) and the Son hub in the front wheel (Bearings gave in at 17,000km, again sorted FOC without issues).
Its so comfortable, does everything I want.
I spoke to loads of people with Fairlights at PBP and no one had a bad word to say.
Earlier ones did suffer from rust internally, but they appear to have it sorted on newer frames. Mine has seen 2 winters in and some very wet Audaxs but the inside still looks like new.

In fact I love it so much I have just ordered a Secan to complement it.

Owen

My original Faran was a 2.0, internal corrosion saw it replaced with a 2.5, I'll post some pics.

2.5 sorted the things I didn't like about the original rear dropout design
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens