Author Topic: Paris-Brest-Paris 2019 Accommodation  (Read 27280 times)

Phil W

Paris-Brest-Paris 2019 Accommodation
« Reply #50 on: 17 August, 2018, 06:39:54 pm »
On one of the French forums there is talk of the St Quentin and Montigny local officials having  differences of opinion they cannot resolve. Which may explain the potential change of start.

Apparently asian tour operators have been spotted scoping out the accommodation options.

Ben T

Re: Paris-Brest-Paris 2019 Accommodation
« Reply #51 on: 17 August, 2018, 07:29:30 pm »
On one of the French forums there is talk of the St Quentin and Montigny local officials having  differences of opinion they cannot resolve. Which may explain the potential change of start.

Apparently asian tour operators have been spotted scoping out the accommodation options.
So where does it actually now start from, or isn't it decided yet?

« Reply #52 on: 17 August, 2018, 09:28:49 pm »
maybe that'll make it a true 1200 ride (instead of 1230) - i'd gladly take one hour's gift!

There will have to be other rerouting. Taking ~25km off each end of a 1230km ride brings it under 1200km. Less of a problem as PBP is a mandatory route.

Adding an extra loop would be less hassle as reducing the overall distance.

« Reply #53 on: 18 August, 2018, 04:18:53 am »
Dreux to SQV is 54km ish.  Dreux to Rambouillet is 39km ish.  So 15km shorter each way,  30km in total n'est ce pas?
Eddington: 114 Miles

« Reply #54 on: 18 August, 2018, 07:57:16 am »
Dreux to SQV is 54km ish.  Dreux to Rambouillet is 39km ish.  So 15km shorter each way,  30km in total n'est ce pas?

I checked my 2011 files, the route was 1228km then. So that's only 2km underdistance. A small change in a controllocation would sort that out.

Phil W

« Reply #55 on: 18 August, 2018, 08:07:03 pm »

So where does it actually now start from, or isn't it decided yet?

The latter but comms to volunteers is suggesting a Rambouillet start.

« Reply #56 on: 18 August, 2018, 08:50:51 pm »

PBP doesn't go through Dreux on the way out thobut.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #57 on: 19 August, 2018, 08:51:47 am »
it seems quite feasible to have different start/finish locations;
- the riders are absent for ~48 hours, so the teams can easily pack-up, get some rest, then get over to Arrivée
- start and finish have very different requirements.
- for riders ... well I'm not sure it would be much more difficult. Maybe base yourself (e.g. hotel/left-luggage/family) near Arrivée. A gentle spin in the afternoon over to the start. Bike-check might complicate things ... but that could be done anywhere! :P

Still, quite a complicated thing to assess, given a long-history of a known working setup.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #58 on: 19 August, 2018, 10:18:16 am »
'Officially' announced on the PBP Facebook:

Due to difficulties encountered in organizing the departure and arrival of the PBP 2019 in the Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines agglomeration, the new start-finish site is planned at the Bergerie National, located in the park of Rambouillet Castle. The dates are unchanged.

Suite aux difficultés rencontrées pour organiser le départ et l’arrivée du PBP 2019 dans l’agglomération de Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines, le nouveau site départ-arrivée est prévu à la Bergerie nationale, située dans le parc du château de Rambouillet. Les dates sont inchangées.

https://www.facebook.com/ParisBrestParis/posts/10156131105663780
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #59 on: 19 August, 2018, 10:26:40 am »
There's a direct train connection each 30 minutes from Rambouillet to St Quentin en Yvelines and Versailles, takes about 25-30 minutes.

« Reply #60 on: 19 August, 2018, 10:32:35 am »
'Officially' announced on the PBP Facebook:

Due to difficulties encountered in organizing the departure and arrival of the PBP 2019 in the Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines agglomeration, the new start-finish site is planned at the Bergerie National, located in the park of Rambouillet Castle. The dates are unchanged.

Suite aux difficultés rencontrées pour organiser le départ et l’arrivée du PBP 2019 dans l’agglomération de Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines, le nouveau site départ-arrivée est prévu à la Bergerie nationale, située dans le parc du château de Rambouillet. Les dates sont inchangées.

It doesn't show at the moment.

Aha, it's on the page but not on the event page.

rob

« Reply #61 on: 19 August, 2018, 12:50:45 pm »
Suspect I’ll stay around where I have in the past and ride the 20 odd k each way.

Just need to wait for the rooms to free up as everyone re-books in the coming days.

« Reply #62 on: 19 August, 2018, 01:47:41 pm »
It's a pity that I didn't know about this before Semaine Federale. I sat next to Thierry Rivet at the opening ceremony, and might have got the lowdown.

I'm pleased to see that the new venue is the centre of learning for sheep-rearing in France. Much more my style than the corporate gloss of St. Quentin. Their collection of prize Merinos might tempt me to enter.

« Reply #63 on: 19 August, 2018, 02:20:13 pm »
So does the ride become RBR?

« Reply #64 on: 19 August, 2018, 02:41:12 pm »
PBP started in Rambouillet in the 1970s and 80s. I re-edited some of the video from 83 and 87. It was a much smaller event then.

This one is the downside. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmcui9ynsus&t=228s

The optimistic one features a song which prevents its showing in the USA for copyright reasons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TywLn7oOLA

Edit. PBP actually started from Rueil-Malmaison in 1983 and 1987.

There are references to Rambouillet in an article about PBP 1975, which started at Montesson, and finished at the Croix de Berney.

The official rules stated that between Rambouillet and the finish, you were allowed to have a support vehicle follow you to light the road, should you be there after dark.

http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/fell/PBP1975.html

« Reply #65 on: 20 August, 2018, 10:42:20 pm »
There are references to Rambouillet in an article about PBP 1975, . . .
http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/fell/PBP1975.html
Not just any old author, either! We (cyclists) have much to thank her for.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #66 on: 20 August, 2018, 11:47:46 pm »
What a great read that was!  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #67 on: 23 August, 2018, 11:50:37 am »
Although this is a tragic incident, I'm posting it here as it occurred in Trappes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45281902

Trappes is described as a "run-down south-western suburb ... close to Versailles. The suburb is known for gang violence and poverty."

I have to say that's not how I remember Trappes but people may wish to take this into account when booking accommodation for PBP.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #68 on: 23 August, 2018, 12:05:09 pm »
It was noticeable in 2007 that the frame number plates lost their flags, so that nationalities weren't so obvious in the wake of the Iraq war.

Security was a big concern in 2015, and affected the finish especially. Public events in France are more constrained these days, as anyone who's been to Semaine Federale can tell you.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #69 on: 23 August, 2018, 01:30:18 pm »
It was noticeable in 2007 that the frame number plates lost their flags, so that nationalities weren't so obvious in the wake of the Iraq war.

Security was a big concern in 2015, and affected the finish especially. Public events in France are more constrained these days, as anyone who's been to Semaine Federal can tell you.

Something that confused me when I went to LeMans a couple of years ago was the apparent lack of security; right after a load of "bad stuff" happened, it was standard stadium bag checks and seemingly little else.

Didn't even see the armed patrols (my memory says they're "Force Vigilance" but doesn't seem to be right) until they did a random patrol outside the station in the middle of town the evening after the race.

Phil W

« Reply #70 on: 24 August, 2018, 04:40:19 pm »
What a great read that was!  :thumbsup:

+1 enjoyed that account.

Phil W

« Reply #71 on: 24 August, 2018, 04:48:14 pm »
Although this is a tragic incident, I'm posting it here as it occurred in Trappes.

Trappes is described as a "run-down south-western suburb ... close to Versailles. The suburb is known for gang violence and poverty."

I have to say that's not how I remember Trappes but people may wish to take this into account when booking accommodation for PBP.

There weren't many options for eating out in Trappes. I seem to remember we ended up at a restaurant along the edge of the main road that blasts through.  It was all pretty much shut up around the nearest railway station. So run down yes.

Gang violence well unless you get mixed up in it, its kind of hidden. Most people are just trying to get on with their lives, and that is what you will mostly observe if in an area a short time.

« Reply #72 on: 24 August, 2018, 05:54:27 pm »

Security was a big concern in 2015, and affected the finish especially. Public events in France are more constrained these days, as anyone who's been to Semaine Federal can tell you.

Something that confused me when I went to LeMans a couple of years ago was the apparent lack of security; right after a load of "bad stuff" happened, it was standard stadium bag checks and seemingly little else.

Didn't even see the armed patrols (my memory says they're "Force Vigilance" but doesn't seem to be right) until they did a random patrol outside the station in the middle of town the evening after the race.

I wonder if the largest loss of life by a vehicle ploughing into a crowd prior to Nice was at Le Mans?

86 died in 2016 in Nice in 2016, 83 at Le Mans in 1955.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #73 on: 24 August, 2018, 06:05:49 pm »

I rode through Trappes in the early hours of Thursday morning after quitting Wednesday lunchtime and it was the most scary cycling I've ever done!

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #74 on: 26 August, 2018, 04:49:58 pm »

I wonder if the largest loss of life by a vehicle ploughing into a crowd prior to Nice was at Le Mans?

86 died in 2016 in Nice in 2016, 83 at Le Mans in 1955.

Most likely.
Not aware of any motorsport disasters any worse than LeMans '55.

The memorial plaque is in a fairly anonymous spot on the concrete terracing below the start line grandstands