Author Topic: Tour de France 2012  (Read 143036 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Tour de France 2012
« Reply #1075 on: 24 July, 2012, 07:44:31 pm »
I read something the other day that described the Vuelta as having an "end of term party feel", which seems about right. The opening Team TT is a 16km procession that doesn't even count towards the overall standings.

After the Olympics, Brad's work for this year is done, isn't it? Unless he's expected to turn out for the Worlds...

d.

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
Re: Tour de France 2012
« Reply #1076 on: 24 July, 2012, 08:32:34 pm »
Hopefully Brad and Cav will ride the Tour of Britain to bring out the crowds - it would be a massive boost to the race.
a great mind thinks alike

« Reply #1077 on: 24 July, 2012, 09:22:35 pm »
Hopefully Brad and Cav will ride the Tour of Britain to bring out the crowds - it would be a massive boost to the race.

I certainly hope so! I want a photo of Brad's arse to go with my Cav's arse going up Cheddar Gorge pic from last year!

« Reply #1078 on: 25 July, 2012, 12:04:20 am »
http://www.burnleyexpress.net/news/local-news/tour-de-france-winner-bradley-wiggins-to-ride-in-east-lancashire-1-4764910

He's riding a cyclosportive in Pendle and the Ribble Valley in August - Barlick to Barlick via a few lumps (Nick O'Pendle, Trough of Bowland, etc). My home turf! Mum just reported he was being interviewed at a Lancashire crossroads saying it was a 'little bit overwhelming!'

I too loved his raffle comment, though I wish he'd said at least a few words in French. Cavendish was overheard trying to speak French in the early parts of yesterday's stage. He kept inquiring, "Was that right? Did I say it right?" :)

Eek! This is the day after we return home to Doncaster from 3 weeks away on holiday.

Do you think I can swing it?

The start is about 2 miles from my dad's house (where I grew up).

And you said Barlick.

Barlick!!

I'm beside myself.

« Reply #1079 on: 25 July, 2012, 12:23:40 am »
There's been a lot of talk on here about next year.  I haven't read every post (I don't think) but of those I do remember no-one seems to have mentioned Ryder Hesjedal, who won the giro but was unable to complete the TdeF.  Wouldn't he be a contender next year?

« Reply #1080 on: 25 July, 2012, 02:36:18 am »
http://www.burnleyexpress.net/news/local-news/tour-de-france-winner-bradley-wiggins-to-ride-in-east-lancashire-1-4764910

He's riding a cyclosportive in Pendle and the Ribble Valley in August - Barlick to Barlick via a few lumps (Nick O'Pendle, Trough of Bowland, etc). My home turf! Mum just reported he was being interviewed at a Lancashire crossroads saying it was a 'little bit overwhelming!'

I too loved his raffle comment, though I wish he'd said at least a few words in French. Cavendish was overheard trying to speak French in the early parts of yesterday's stage. He kept inquiring, "Was that right? Did I say it right?" :)

Eek! This is the day after we return home to Doncaster from 3 weeks away on holiday.

And you said Barlick.

Barlick!!

I'm beside myself.
Hehe. I know Barlick well. I used to ride my bike (and horses) around there. I am from Winewall, near Trawden. I'd try and get there if I were you!  :D

« Reply #1081 on: 25 July, 2012, 10:15:24 am »
You'll have done the Pack Horse climb out of Thursden a few times then?!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1082 on: 25 July, 2012, 10:44:03 am »

Forgot about that. That would be truly amazing.

When was the last time the World Champion and Tour de France winner rode in the Tour of Britain?

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #1083 on: 25 July, 2012, 10:52:45 am »

Forgot about that. That would be truly amazing.

When was the last time the World Champion and Tour de France winner rode in the Tour of Britain?

d.

Probably never.

There were massively increased crowds last year when Cav rode it but it would go mental if Brad pitched up.
a great mind thinks alike

fuzzy

« Reply #1084 on: 25 July, 2012, 11:06:15 am »

« Reply #1086 on: 25 July, 2012, 04:32:30 pm »
There's a sudden rash of Team Sky kit. I saw a fairly convincing wannabe this morning, in the full strip, including leg and arm warmers, and a yellow helmet with the air vents blocked up. He was coming over the bridge out of Eccleston at about 10am, he even had the sideburns and was riding a Pinarello Dogma. Oh, wait a second.

« Reply #1087 on: 25 July, 2012, 04:42:32 pm »
There's a sudden rash of Team Sky kit. I saw a fairly convincing wannabe this morning, in the full strip, including leg and arm warmers, and a yellow helmet with the air vents blocked up. He was coming over the bridge out of Eccleston at about 10am, he even had the sideburns and was riding a Pinarello Dogma. Oh, wait a second.

Nice try: http://inrng.tumblr.com/post/27895463057/wiggobike

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #1088 on: 25 July, 2012, 05:04:01 pm »
From Michael Hutchinson's Twitter feed
I and my Brompton passed a fully Sky outfitted bloke on a Pinarello on London Embankment. He didn't like it. He didn't like it at all.

Lesson: if you see anyone who looks like this

on a Brompton, don't challenge him to a commuter race.

« Reply #1089 on: 25 July, 2012, 08:45:21 pm »
That pretty much sums up the way cycling has gone in London - with the poseurs commuting on £4k race bikes, while those who actually do race or test at high level generally incognito on worthless old hacks and foldies!
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #1090 on: 25 July, 2012, 10:37:45 pm »

And you said Barlick.

Barlick!!

I'm beside myself.
Hehe. I know Barlick well. I used to ride my bike (and horses) around there. I am from Winewall, near Trawden. I'd try and get there if I were you!  :D

Black Hill out of Sabden. :sick: :sick:

« Reply #1091 on: 29 July, 2012, 11:39:54 am »
Thanks Mr B. !

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1092 on: 30 July, 2012, 10:15:05 am »
Milltag is celebrating with a jersey.  I really like it.  But I don't need another jersey (even though Milltag ones are good).  Also, I'm not the yellow jersey type.  But I think it looks great. 

I think something like this would also make a great AUK-PBP jersey if the idea wasn't already taken...
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #1093 on: 24 December, 2012, 09:45:56 pm »
I have hazy memories of the summer 46 years ago when England won the World Cup.
Bobby Moore, Bobby Charlton, Geoff Hurst and Nobby Stiles became household names and idols to eight year old boys like myself.

In the world of cricket, Boycott and Edrich were the opening pair for England, and West Indian Gary Sobers was acknowledged to be the world's best all rounder.

Another often-heard name in those childhood summers was that of Tommy Simpson. In an era when Football and Rugby were played in the winter and  Cricket and Tennis was the only summer fare, in this alternative sport of cycling, Simpson's progress in the Tour was relayed back to us in Blighty by radio broadcast and maybe a mention in the sports part of the BBC's Six O'clock News. In 1966, Simpson finished second in two stages of the Tour before crashing out on a mountain descent.

The following year of course, Tommy died on the slopes of Ventoux.  This event acted as a catalyst for me to check up on the progress of British riders in ensuing renewals of the race, gradually becoming more absorbed and enthralled by the event, despite all its vicissitudes.

And now, after such a long span of time, we have an Englishman, Bradley Wiggins, who is favourite to win the Tour.

The parcours, with much TTing, favours him to a certain extent, and his form and the form and strength of his team is excellent. So let's hope that he can avoid mishap and arrive in Paris in July wearing the yellow jersey and thus inspire a new generation of youngsters to appreciate
the excitement and  benefits of cycling

45 years since Simpson passed away, and I think that it is fair to say that the inimitable style and panache of Bradley Wiggins has begun to inspire a new wave of interest in road cycling across the whole spectrum of age and gender.

What a truly great achievement it has been by Wiggo and Team Sky to realise Dave Brailsford's  ambition of winning the Tour with a clean British rider by 2014.
#makewattsnotwar

« Reply #1094 on: 01 January, 2013, 10:05:57 pm »
What a truly great achievement it has been by Wiggo and Team Sky to realise Dave Brailsford's  ambition of winning the Tour with a clean British rider by 2014.

An absolutely stunning, once-in-fifty-years achievement.  We will look back on this remarkable cycling year with increasing admiration as the seasons go by.

Unless he does it again this year of course..

« Reply #1095 on: 03 January, 2013, 11:19:14 am »
Just saw on twitter that they're looking for 'tour-makers' in Yorkshire (presumably similar to the 'lympic Gamesmakers).

« Reply #1096 on: 03 January, 2013, 11:35:09 am »
Just saw on twitter that they're looking for 'tour-makers' in Yorkshire (presumably similar to the 'lympic Gamesmakers).

I do hope they revive the idea of volunteers wearing flat caps, as at the Manchester Commonwealth Games.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/1855625.stm

« Reply #1097 on: 03 January, 2013, 09:54:47 pm »
Will they be issued with a traditional whippet each as well? ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #1098 on: 04 January, 2013, 08:43:07 am »
Will they be issued with a traditional whippet each as well? ;D

Maybe, but they'll certainly be travelling by Yorkshire Airlines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm6VC5gdaFA

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #1099 on: 04 January, 2013, 12:19:51 pm »
Milltag is celebrating with a jersey.  I really like it.  But I don't need another jersey (even though Milltag ones are good).  Also, I'm not the yellow jersey type.  But I think it looks great. 

That's really rather nice  :thumbsup:
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.