Author Topic: The power of this community  (Read 3605 times)

The power of this community
« on: 01 June, 2009, 11:39:17 pm »
No need for dull detail, suffice to say that the hatlers hit a little difficulty this last week or so, and I PMed a member of yacf who I believed might have relevant experience that would help us out of our fix.

This is someone I have met, at most, six times, and on no occasion have we had anything much longer than a brief conversation.

Said member responded quickly to my PM with a 20 minute phone call, at the beginning of which they confirmed that they were able to help.

This has been followed up with a number of e-mails in which further advice was willingly and happily passed on, and culminated this evening with the expert eye being cast over a set of critical documents and the preparation of a letter.

I am incoherent with gratitude.

This is an extraordinary community we have here.
Rust never sleeps

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: The power of this community
« Reply #1 on: 02 June, 2009, 12:23:00 am »
Indeed it is a "community"  - I received valuable assistance from a member who was kind enough to collect and store a child's tricycle I purchased from the 'bay until such time as I could get to the big city and collect it.

Rob

« Reply #2 on: 02 June, 2009, 12:23:25 am »
Indeed.

Well done to the person you didn't name.

I have found that whenever I need a problem solved I turn to yacf first.  

I'd also like to thank the person who posted me a replacement hub for FrankenFixie.  They will remain nameless.  

« Reply #3 on: 02 June, 2009, 06:08:05 am »
Good people that all share a great common experience and love. 
Glad you are okay and could benefit from yacf  :thumbsup:

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4 on: 02 June, 2009, 07:30:12 am »
I have found that whenever I need a problem solved I turn to yacf first.  
After Elastoplast, of course.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 02 June, 2009, 10:19:52 am »
It works.  That's all I ask of a community.  Sure, there are people here that irritate sometimes, but, in the main, we have some utterly wonderful people, several of whom have helped me out at various times, and I hope that there are as many that I passed on the favour to.
Getting there...

« Reply #6 on: 02 June, 2009, 10:29:46 am »
We are having another of life's little niggles with the house (plumbing this time, but nothing major). "Ask what we should do on that forum of yours" said Mr Mac ;D 

I love that a cycling forum is full of people who know an awful lot about other stuff too.

« Reply #7 on: 02 June, 2009, 03:35:02 pm »
Well done to the yacf :thumbsup:
There is a Chinese proverb that states "if someone does you a favour you have to do ten favours in return for other people"

« Reply #8 on: 02 June, 2009, 03:38:08 pm »
Well done to the yacf :thumbsup:
There is a Chinese proverb that states "if someone does you a favour you have to do ten favours in return for other people"

And the basis for the film "Pay it forward" (albeit a 3:1 ratio).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #9 on: 02 June, 2009, 03:54:13 pm »
We are having another of life's little niggles with the house (plumbing this time, but nothing major). "Ask what we should do on that forum of yours" said Mr Mac ;D 

And...    :)

« Reply #10 on: 02 June, 2009, 03:55:36 pm »

And...    :)

And... I think I know what needs doing anyway  O:-) ;D

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #11 on: 02 June, 2009, 08:26:26 pm »

This is an extraordinary community we have here.

The sort of community you might want on a mythical desert island, I suppose?

But, and without wishing to cause offence to all the lovely YACFers, I've found this same spirit of community in other online places too, such as the Archers newsgroup and Ye Shedde.

<deep thought>

Perhaps it's because nice people (and I rather self importantly include myself there) will congregate together.

Dunno.

/<deep thought>

Anyway LMM, you should have mentioned the plumbing question on Sunday . I might have been able to interfere help.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: 02 June, 2009, 11:58:38 pm »
We've just had something very large and very heavy delivered to our flat by a forummer who knows we're car free and was able to do us a big favour. 

So yes, lots of fabulous people on here, all willing to help where they can for no reason other than just being excellent to each other.

:)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #13 on: 03 June, 2009, 12:02:25 am »
We've just had something very large and very heavy delivered to our flat by a forummer who knows we're car free and was able to do us a big favour.  

So yes, lots of fabulous people on here, all willing to help where they can for no reason other than just being excellent to each other.

Was this the glass table?  I was looking forward to the mad yuba ride for that one.

*is disappointed*

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: 03 June, 2009, 12:04:10 am »

Was this the glass table?  I was looking forward to the mad yuba ride for that one.

*is disappointed*

Trust me, the weight of this thing, that wouldn't be so much mad as frikkin' suicidal...
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #15 on: 03 June, 2009, 12:13:16 am »
Fair enough - would have still liked the opportunity to point and laugh from a safe distance though (the second I wrote that a *huge* fight between some foxes just started outside - I'm sure there's no connection)

« Reply #16 on: 07 September, 2020, 11:21:53 am »
Sorry all, trawling through old threads.

Happy ending time.

The original difficulty related to our Mexican au pair, and her immigration status. The help provided meant that she was able to remain in the UK.

She ended up marrying a local chap and they have just announced the birth of their second child.
Rust never sleeps

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #17 on: 07 September, 2020, 12:25:01 pm »
 :thumbsup:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.