Author Topic: Shed windows  (Read 871 times)

fuaran

• rothair gasta
Shed windows
« on: 29 December, 2019, 02:40:34 pm »
Most of the (plastic) window panes on my shed have broken, so need replaced. I suspect largely due to sunlight causing them to go brittle, and shatter.
Have 8 windows, all about 46cm x 61cm (18" x 24").

What to replace them with? Where to buy from?
Found a few places that sell them cut to size. Seems costs between £8 and £12 or so per window.

Options for acrylic (Perspex) or polycarbonate. Polycarbonate is a bit more expensive, will it last longer? Some of them claim to be UV resistant.
And what thickness, worth paying more for thicker windows?

Any bargains around?

Or maybe cheaper to buy a large sheet of acrylic, and cut it myself. Though I know it can be tricky to cut, without damaging it.

Re: Shed windows
« Reply #1 on: 29 December, 2019, 02:44:51 pm »
Polycarbonate is tougher than Perspex / Acrylic and doesn't degrade in UV as much.
Amongst other things, it is the material of choice for riot shields.
I have a 5mm thick sheet of poly fitted to the inside of my front door, so that if someone punches out one of the 'Georgian' glazing panels, they will be unable to access the front door lock from the inside.
My front door is west-facing, so gets plenty of sunlight. The polycarb panel hasn't degraded in any noticeable way since it was fitted in 2003.
Polycarbonate also used to be the material of choice for replacing the glazed panels on old-style red phone boxes.
I think I bought my poly from https://amariplastics.com who delivered it to my tame furniture maker who routed the arc into the top edge to match the 'sunset-over-the-empire' glazing panels in my front door.

« Reply #2 on: 29 December, 2019, 11:08:19 pm »
Glass !!! ring round some glaziers . I know four places locally where I can get 6mm float cheaper than poly-carbonate . lf you are worried about breakage fit Georgian wired . 
Its More Fun With Three .

« Reply #3 on: 30 December, 2019, 08:09:01 pm »
Whatever 'glass' you choose it's worth thinking about putting a frosted type film or spray on the inside to keep prying eyes out, particularly on a shed that may not be in sight.