Author Topic: Mild wrist strain / sprain  (Read 1444 times)

Mild wrist strain / sprain
« on: 27 December, 2022, 09:49:01 pm »
I've got a pain in the wrist when I lift things in a curl type action and a few uther situations.  It's not worth a gp visit as it'll go no doubt. I wake up with it hurting a bit more but not bad enough for NSAIDs or pain relief.  I just need to give it time to recover. That's easier over Xmas break but back at work it's not easy.

So is there anything I can do to help m it recover? Do those wrist things help? I know they're good for carpel tunnel issues but what about sprain type issues?

Re: Mild wrist strain / sprain
« Reply #1 on: 27 December, 2022, 10:45:56 pm »
Given the average age of this group I suspect you have some mild wear and tear. It will probably abate and then return. On the other hand it could get worse. The current information allows no more accuracy to the prognostication.

« Reply #2 on: 28 December, 2022, 10:48:49 am »
Caused by hurling heavy,  awkwardly shaped items onto racking at work I reckon. Made worse overnight when I wake up after my wrists being bent in my sleep.  Not got any numbness from doing the carpel tunnel test my gp one got me todo. I'm holding my tablet with one hand while typing with n the other.  The holding hand is aching at the wrist.

It's possibly age related as I'm 50,  usual aches and pain, but is still prefer to get rid of it. I suspect work will mean I'll make it worse if it's still around by my return. No quick heal tricks I reckon.

« Reply #3 on: 28 December, 2022, 03:54:40 pm »
Sorry, I still have about 20 different diagnoses in mind as possibilities.  I suggest take some mild painkillers, perhaps use some strapping and see how it goes.

« Reply #4 on: 28 December, 2022, 04:18:44 pm »
Yes, I didn't think there could be a diagnosis without checkup IRL, but any generic tips that could help with a lot of the possibilities is really all I'm hoping for.

I can rest it now but not at work but I guess if painful an OTC painkiller or even NSAID of there's swelling. Do wrist strapping or carpel tunnel type of support work for generic sprains?

« Reply #5 on: 29 December, 2022, 08:27:36 am »
wrist strapping would be as good as anything.  carpal tunnel type splints probably leave unless it gets worse and you are heading towards seeing a doctor

« Reply #6 on: 29 December, 2022, 12:14:16 pm »
I'm thinking of the splints because a gp recommended it in case another issue was carpel tunnel. He got me to do the test where you bend your wrists with back of hands against each other and wait for the finger tingle that never came.  Not CTS I am confident but gp had no idea what else it could be.  His solution was wrist splint when sleeping and if that doesn't work he'd then look into other possibilities. Go from there was the phrase used.  I'm all for testing hypotheses but only if the evidence supports it.  Why rule out CTS a second time?

So I figure those splints might serve two uses of helping me reduce issues when sleeping and prove to my gp once and for all that my other issue needs a serious look into.

PS it's numb and painful forearms during sleep the other issue. Like pins and needles on steroids! It goes into certain fingers but not the ones linked to carpel tunnel issues.

« Reply #7 on: 29 December, 2022, 12:18:52 pm »
which fingers?

« Reply #8 on: 29 December, 2022, 05:55:29 pm »
Little and ring fingers on both hands,  plus forearm. Not on index or middle finger. Although my middle finger feels the cold more than the others,  but that's reynauds related.

I reckon it's the elbow joint that's got a nerve constriction issue not the wrist. I think this because I already know my nervous system around my elbows are a little screwy anyway.

I used to do just jitsu and one technique involving a straight arm lock at the elbow never caused me any pain or discomfort.  One instructor was a nurse and together with the senior instructor came back with the answer that some ppl have the nerves in a slightly different place such that the lock won't cause pain and I should tap out when the lock is achieved or the first pain I'll get is when my opponent breaks my arm!

Whatever the truth a straight arm lock that would cause most people a lot of pain if held for any length of time caused me no pain or discomfort at all. I bet it still doesn't.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #9 on: 29 December, 2022, 07:58:32 pm »
Sprains usually take about 3 days to sort themselves out (at least to the point of not being very painful).  Tennis elbow, which I've had a couple of times, takes 2-3 months.

Strains can take weeks.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.