Author Topic: Ordnance Survey consulting re more symbols.  (Read 2745 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Ordnance Survey consulting re more symbols.
« on: 12 February, 2023, 08:38:56 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/feb/12/ordnance-survey-to-consult-on-new-map-symbols

The most recent addition I recognise is the "solar farm" symbol. Dog poo bins could be problematic as in our local park there are quite a few, and not much space to put them.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Ordnance Survey consulting re more symbols.
« Reply #1 on: 12 February, 2023, 08:47:38 pm »
I can see some of those working at 1:25,000 but not at smaller scales.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 12 February, 2023, 08:55:54 pm »
I'd missed that there was a new toilet symbol.  A well overdue innovation, now all we need are some public toilets to mark with it.

The obvious enhancement would be [lack of] level access.  Steps, Silly Sustrans Gates™ and the like.

Keeping such things up to date is a challenge, but less so now that maps aren't exclusively used in paper form.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3 on: 12 February, 2023, 09:01:25 pm »
The toilet symbol might be new, but they've been marked for donkey's years. PC, IIRC. In rural areas only.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 12 February, 2023, 11:07:04 pm »
The toilet symbol might be new, but they've been marked for donkey's years. PC, IIRC. In rural areas only.

Indeed.  It was one of the things I found utterly unintuitive when I learned to read an OS map (much like PH, which stands for "public house", which is an archaic term for 'pub' and not something you can visit with your National Trust membership).  WC would be better understood, especially by FOREIGNS.

It seems reasonably safe to assume that the [man][woman] icons to denote toilet aren't going to be phased out any time soon on TERF island.  Maybe they'll become the next quaint BRITISH anachronism.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5 on: 13 February, 2023, 07:54:14 am »
The smiling poo emoji is probably universally understood.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6 on: 13 February, 2023, 10:06:48 am »

Indeed.  It was one of the things I found utterly unintuitive when I learned to read an OS map (much like PH, which stands for "public house", which is an archaic term for 'pub' and not something you can visit with your National Trust membership).  WC would be better understood, especially by FOREIGNS.

It seems reasonably safe to assume that the [man][woman] icons to denote toilet aren't going to be phased out any time soon on TERF island.  Maybe they'll become the next quaint BRITISH anachronism.
And you didn't get to just P, for post office, which you'd think would be PO. I never had a problem understanding PC = public convenience, probably cos it was written on the maps. I'd still say being given the OS 1:25,000 map (second edition, I think, with the pale blue cover) for an eighth(?) birthday (or it might have been Christmas) present, was one of the best things ever! Along with a lensatic (still don't know what that bit means) compass.

What are they actually suggesting as a toilet symbol anyway?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #7 on: 13 February, 2023, 10:32:06 am »

And you didn't get to just P, for post office, which you'd think would be PO. I never had a problem understanding PC = public convenience, probably cos it was written on the maps. I'd still say being given the OS 1:25,000 map (second edition, I think, with the pale blue cover) for an eighth(?) birthday (or it might have been Christmas) present, was one of the best things ever! Along with a lensatic (still don't know what that bit means) compass.

What are they actually suggesting as a toilet symbol anyway?

I'm guessing some kind of icon that indicates 'Closed'.
It is simpler than it looks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 13 February, 2023, 12:20:20 pm »
The smiling poo emoji is probably universally understood.

Yeahbut if I saw it on a map I'd assume it was a dogging facility.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #9 on: 13 February, 2023, 01:15:10 pm »
Yeahbut if I saw it on a map I'd assume it was a dogging facility. the map had been used by someone who found the public convenience inconveniently closed.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #10 on: 21 February, 2023, 07:08:37 am »
I remember Kim mentioning a long time ago on a York to Hull FNRttC that we were going to pass a grid section with no discernible features at all on the relevant OS map - completely blank.  His Leggship stopped the ride at that point to say a few solemn words.

OS maps are lovely things.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #11 on: 21 February, 2023, 08:10:21 am »
I remember Kim mentioning a long time ago on a York to Hull FNRttC that we were going to pass a grid section with no discernible features at all on the relevant OS map - completely blank.  His Leggship stopped the ride at that point to say a few solemn words.

OS maps are lovely things.
I believe that  one leg of an electricity pylon may encroach onto the grid square in question.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #12 on: 21 February, 2023, 09:12:36 am »
SE8322

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #14 on: 21 February, 2023, 10:01:37 am »
I feel a YACF campaign for an OS symbol meaning "this grid square is empty" has some merit.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #15 on: 21 February, 2023, 10:05:33 am »
Like "This page left intentionally blank" on a document.

« Reply #16 on: 21 February, 2023, 01:52:56 pm »
SE8322

Not featureless at 1:25,000 and even 1:50,000 shows the power cable through it.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #17 on: 21 February, 2023, 02:02:15 pm »
SE8322

Not featureless at 1:25,000 and even 1:50,000 shows the power cable through it.

It is usually cited as the least featured one. Usually for 1:50 000. I've seen the 1:25 000 version. There's always the squares in the sea  ;)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #18 on: 21 February, 2023, 02:21:17 pm »
It is usually cited as the least featured one. Usually for 1:50 000. I've seen the 1:25 000 version. There's always the squares in the sea  ;)

Unmappable topography