Author Topic: Brevet Berlin-Wien(Vienna)-Berlin 19.6 – 23.6.2018  (Read 2460 times)

miyataman

• think of something funny
Brevet Berlin-Wien(Vienna)-Berlin 19.6 – 23.6.2018
« on: 28 January, 2018, 10:34:53 pm »
Hello,
some people might have met me at last years' Millepennines. I am the German with the green Miyata frame equipped with the SandS-couplers (hence my name here). You couldn't chase me away, so I registered in the YACF forum. You will have a hard time getting rid of me. I hope it's okay if I mention our 1200km-Brevet for 2018  here:

ARA Berlin-Brandenburg (Ingo, Klaus and me, Miyataman/Ralf) are organizing our first 1200km brevet this year. It's called "Berlin Wien Berlin" and (suprise!) goes from Berlin to Vienna and back to Berlin. We got the idea from a bike race that was held at the end of the 19th century to the beginning of WW1. It started as a competition between cyclists and horseriders, but after it turned out that most of the horses had to be killed after the competition, they stopped the race and started WW1 instead (to kill more horses AND men)
See the website about our ride, it is in English and German:
https://berlinwienberlin.wordpress.com/category/english/
See the website of ARA Berlin Brandenburg:
www.ara-bb.de
This website is unfortunately only in German.
If you want to take part: you can sign in after February, 1st, under http://ara-bb.de/anmeldung/index.html ("Anmeldung" means: registration)
The Brevet is unsupported, but there's food at the start and the finish, and you can store your belongings.  The ride is not as hard as millepennines. There are flat passages and even descents, but some nasty climbs too, but not as bad as millepennines.
I hope I didn't bore you too much. Check out the website, if you have any questions, just ask them.

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
Re: Brevet Berlin-Wien(Vienna)-Berlin 19.6 – 23.6.2018
« Reply #1 on: 29 January, 2018, 09:18:01 pm »
Kudos for organising what surely will be an epic ride.

It should be mentioned that helmets are compulsory on this ride, and - according to a convo on the German forum - the route is likely to entail some significant gravel parts. Correct me if I'm wrong on either point.
If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

miyataman

« Reply #2 on: 29 January, 2018, 09:45:04 pm »
redfalo,
you are right: wearing a helmet is compulsory on the Brevets of ARA Berlin Brandenburg, that is not mentioned in the Berlin Wien Berlin blog. I forgot to mention that in the YACF-post.
The gravel part is mentioned in the blog. https://berlinwienberlin.wordpress.com/category/english/ contains all the post in english language, either they are completely in english or english and german. All informations are in both languages.
The gravel parts are not very long and perfectly ridable with a normal Audax bike, they are a kind of forest highways, so nothing serious
I think I remember you from millepennines, too: you were riding faster, but we have met several times, if I remember correctly.

frillipippi

• from Italy
« Reply #3 on: 29 January, 2018, 10:00:54 pm »
Maybe the answers to my questions are already there, but I couldn't find them, so:

Which countries is the route passing through? Germany and Austria of course, Czechia I dare say yes (I saw a sign in a photo saying POZOR, and avoiding Czechia would make the route much longer than 700k), but Poland is a big question mark.

Have you got an approximate number regarding the total climb? I mean 1300k with ??? Hm

How many riders do you expect? Apart from the expectations, is there a limited number of places or are you accepting riders with no limits as the brevet is unsupported?

Have you already decided the start time, or at least if it will be morning, evening, or....?

Thanks in advance

miyataman

« Reply #4 on: 29 January, 2018, 10:59:41 pm »
The course obviouly goes through the Czech republik. It doesn't go through Poland. It takes the shortest route from Berlin to Vienna avoiding busy roads. The start will be in the morning, around 10 AM, to have breakfast together.
I have no idea about the exact climb, but the ride is not difficult. It is not flat, but only mountainous in a few areas.
There is a limit of 90 riders:  with more than100 riders we  would have to get permission by german authorities and I can't be bothered coping with them. :sick:

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5 on: 30 January, 2018, 07:53:33 pm »
Cool - czech repulbic as well!

I do think it's worthwhile making any helmet rule highly visible on your website. It's quite a big deal to many audaxers - at least in the UK. I'll leave it at that (as I don't honestly expect to be able to ride in 2018 anyway).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #6 on: 01 February, 2018, 11:16:29 am »

I think I remember you from millepennines, too: you were riding faster, but we have met several times, if I remember correctly.

I was naive enough to sign up for the first edition of Mille Pennines in 2016, but smart enough to DNS and, since then, have not even thought about entering  ;D Moreover, even on flatter events, there are not too many riders going slower than I am
If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

miyataman

« Reply #7 on: 01 February, 2018, 12:36:20 pm »
Just to clarify:
Hi, the text in all the post labeled "English" is either completely english or first German, than English. If you open the post, it's first german, then english. I hope that helps, maybe I should seperate completely the english and german posts. I think about it
Ralf
redfalo: not only my memory to names is bad, it's getting worse for faces, too!

miyataman

« Reply #8 on: 01 February, 2018, 12:56:03 pm »
The blog is sorted out: exception: "Bilder von der Strecke/ Pictures of the course" which does't contain any text.
So https://berlinwienberlin.wordpress.com/category/english/
should be clear know.
Thanks for all your advice.

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #9 on: 01 February, 2018, 05:56:42 pm »
I'm not going if there are SNAKES.
Mojo is being awakened.

miyataman

« Reply #10 on: 02 February, 2018, 01:01:06 pm »
The snake is dead, I ran over it after I took the photo. That was the last snake in Germany, Czech Republik and Austria.