Author Topic: Steps  (Read 1847 times)

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
Steps
« on: 10 November, 2008, 04:24:48 pm »
I work nine floors (or 180 steps) up in my building.  I moved here in June from a building that you could only access the stairs to the ground floor in an emergency (appalling building design IMHO, which forced people take lifts from even the second floor - the first had a flight to the ground floor exclusively for their use, used by very few however).

Now having access to stairs again, I have been using them in the down direction on most occasions.  I’ve now started using them more often in the up direction too (cheaper than a gym).  So far today 340 stairs up/520 steps down.  I’m curious what difference a few weeks of this will make.

annie

Re: Steps
« Reply #1 on: 10 November, 2008, 04:27:49 pm »
I work nine floors (or 180 steps) up in my building.  I moved here in June from a building that you could only access the stairs to the ground floor in an emergency (appalling building design IMHO, which forced people take lifts from even the second floor - the first had a flight to the ground floor exclusively for their use, used by very few however).

Now having access to stairs again, I have been using them in the down direction on most occasions.  I’ve now started using them more often in the up direction too (cheaper than a gym).  So far today 340 stairs up/520 steps down.  I’m curious what difference a few weeks of this will make.

It will make a huge difference.  Vary your pace.  I used to do this whilst singing a rhyme.

So for example:

'Sing a song of sixpence a pocket full of .....' was done slowly and then

'Four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie' was at a much faster pace.

I know this sounds ridiculous but it kept me amused, I would like to say it kept me sane but I am sure there are many who would argue with that statement.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #2 on: 10 November, 2008, 04:48:32 pm »

It will make a huge difference.  Vary your pace.  I used to do this whilst singing a rhyme.

So for example:

I know this sounds ridiculous but it kept me amused, I would like to say it kept me sane but I am sure there are many who would argue with that statement.

I may try that later - just taking it steady at first so as to not be too out of breath at the top.

annie

« Reply #3 on: 10 November, 2008, 04:55:10 pm »

So for example:

I may try that later - just taking it steady at first so as to not be too out of breath at the top.

Oh yes, meant to say that don't do that just yet :)  Just going up the stairs is good training.  Keep up the good work. :thumbsup: