Author Topic: Hip Impingement was Re: Inguinal Hernia  (Read 21529 times)

Re: Hip Impingement was Re: Inguinal Hernia
« Reply #25 on: 10 December, 2020, 05:22:56 pm »
That puts things in perspective - I'm just grumpy because I can't ride my bike!  :-\

« Reply #26 on: 11 December, 2020, 11:25:03 am »
Duncan, I have no experience of recumbents. The first thing I had to do was move from my Van Nic to my fixed wheel commuter. The difference is about 5cm in height at the front end and about a similar amount of reach. With poor core strength and flexibility it means my pelvis is rotated much further forward. At it's worst I went out for a 100km ride and at the furthers point I had to bail to the trains home.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #27 on: 11 December, 2020, 01:48:54 pm »
I hope most people have a happier time of hip problems solutions than I am having. I would definitely experiment with options and stick with your physio and hope they can narrow stuff down. Don't be afraid to ask for 2nd opinions either.

« Reply #28 on: 11 December, 2020, 02:22:50 pm »
I hope most people have a happier time of hip problems solutions than I am having. I would definitely experiment with options and stick with your physio and hope they can narrow stuff down. Don't be afraid to ask for 2nd opinions either.
Second opinion is pretty easy - so far I've had 3 consultant appointments, and all 3 have been with different people! I'm definitely keeping going with the physio and logging how I'm going - I'm definitely getting stronger! I'm not sure how to measure/log my stretching progress though. Any ideas?

The only vaguely upright bike I have is my MTB. I'm not sure if that would make a huge difference though as walking for an hour or so causes hip pain, so I don't think the cycling position is a specific issue.

« Reply #29 on: 12 December, 2020, 10:11:45 am »
Second opinion is pretty easy - so far I've had 3 consultant appointments, and all 3 have been with different people! I'm definitely keeping going with the physio and logging how I'm going - I'm definitely getting stronger! I'm not sure how to measure/log my stretching progress though. Any ideas?

The only vaguely upright bike I have is my MTB. I'm not sure if that would make a huge difference though as walking for an hour or so causes hip pain, so I don't think the cycling position is a specific issue.

Walking a short distance was more of a problem for me than cycling for the same amount of time as long as I remained open and at a touring pace. My physio suggested the lack of impact from cycling and the benefit of keeping the hip mobile was a reason to keep cycling. I also had to be careful on rough ground (not hill walking was tough) though level soft ground was fine.

« Reply #30 on: 14 December, 2020, 04:31:21 pm »
I went for a walk with my family yesterday. About half an hour in the hip started to get sore. I basically limped the other half to get home again. While it eased during the afternoon/evening, going up stairs still hurt, it's still sore today, and my knee is sore as well (under the kneecap - I've had typical kneecap tracking issues in the past). I don't know if it's because the quad is tight (possible caused by the hip flexor being unhappy), or whether actually it's the kneeling to stretch the hip that is setting off the knee.
Maybe I shouldn't have done the physio exercises (a couple of hours) before going for a walk, but that feels like another crappy restriction. Grrr. :(

« Reply #31 on: 15 December, 2020, 11:22:54 am »
Grrr, it's not nice to think of but I found a walking stick beneficial even if it was pinching my mothers after she had her hip replaced! early 30s and a walking stick was a bit of a shock to the office but it worked and meant I could still commute by train.

« Reply #32 on: 15 December, 2020, 02:03:53 pm »
I'm hoping that it won't come to that. Either that or I'll make a staff and pretend I'm Gandalf! ;)
I have finally made the "sit/stand" desk I got in March go up and down. This will mean that I don't have to (always) sit down at my desk - hopefully this might help the hip flexors get used to being longer.

barakta

« Reply #33 on: 15 December, 2020, 08:03:28 pm »
Get a stick and do it up. I have rainbow tape on mine (a £5 walking pole from go outdoors) and get lots of positive comments from people AND it's noticed. As useful for a balance assist device as 'walking stick'.

Although I have finally got through the nest of telephonic tyranny and email-numpties at the hospital to see physio and OT to look at walk proper walking aids I can physically use when each of my legs is zero weight bearing for umpty months...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #34 on: 15 December, 2020, 08:11:39 pm »
A fold-up walking stick can be concealed rapidly and packed away in most small bags.

Suggest getting or fitting a wrist strap so you can use the hand when carrying a stick and using a ponytail hair elastic to keep a folding stick folded.

« Reply #35 on: 04 January, 2021, 10:13:11 am »
Walking over the holiday period has been fine - I've been going out pretty much daily, but doing shorter routes when I've done my physio exercises.
I was supposed to see the physio a week today - I've just had a phone call to say that he's been redeployed to a different hospital so it's been changed to a virtual one on the 15th of Feb. Sigh.

« Reply #36 on: 11 January, 2021, 01:16:12 pm »
I did a physio workout and followed it up (later in the day) with >8000 steps yesterday. It's no worse than it was the prior day, so that's not bad.  Most of my walking was at "conversational" rather than "exercise" pace, and it was on the flat, so maybe it's not all that much of a test.
I wanted to use the appointment that was supposed to be today as a waypoint. It feels a bit aimless when it gets put off (and I have no confidence of the February appointment actually happening (or being useful, seeing as it's gone back to virtual)).

« Reply #37 on: 15 January, 2021, 10:53:33 am »
Potential data to back the theory that it's all muscle imbalance related.
I was watching some Youtube stuff so as I could vary my routine without input from the physio, and out of curiosity tried some "clamshells". They are supposed to target the glute medius, and I have heard that's a muscle that cycling doesn't really do much for. On my left leg (the good one) it was easy to activate the muscle and use it to move my leg around - on the right leg, no matter how I was positioning myself, I either got groin involvement, lower back involvement, psoas involvement, or some combination of all 3. So I'm adding clamshells or other glute medius exercises, with the aim of firing that muscle and getting it working properly again - hopefully that can take some of the load off the stuff that's causing me pain.

« Reply #38 on: 04 February, 2021, 09:33:47 am »
Still no change to the hip (I guess maybe I should be happy it's not getting worse).  I continue to get stronger.
I'm fed up enough to loan my turbo trainer out for a couple of months, but holding onto enough hope that I didn't just sell it (and bikes)!
I realised the other day that I have 4 bikes, 3 of which I've not ridden since mid 2019. :(

« Reply #39 on: 09 February, 2021, 02:14:06 pm »
Surprise call from the hospital today offering me a consultant appointment for tomorrow. I guess they have had a cancellation and are filling the spot. This means I've not had a physio appointment since my last consultant appointment (though that one was virtual), and my next physio is a virtual one on Monday (in theory - I'd best check that's still happening). I wonder which consultant I'll get this time. :)

« Reply #40 on: 10 February, 2021, 12:21:48 pm »
Yet another Doctor today (that's 4 so far, from 4 appointments). Today's was a registrar - she was really good and I felt a lot more listened to than the previous in-person appointment. The normal range of motion tests, plus a couple of different ones. Balance and strength pretty good, ROM a little reduced on the right hip - all as expected.  Offered a ultrasound/Xray guided steroid injection into the hip, sounds like the next step, but I'm going going to wait until I've spoken to the physio (next week) before I book it.  The theory behind the injection is that it will offer confirmation that the hip is causing the pain, and hopefully allow further progress with rehab exercise than would otherwise be possible.
Diagnosis is FAI and hip flexor overload together.

« Reply #41 on: 16 February, 2021, 09:21:51 am »
I talked to the physio today. The main benefit of the injection seems to be diagnosis and pain management - I'm not restricted from doing rehab exercises at the moment. /So I'm gonna have a serious crack at doing proper intensive rehab for a month and then make my mind up. I've only ever had a few exercises and a few stretches from the physio - I think they don't want to overload people and favour compliance over theoretical work. So I'm going to build my own list and then get confirmation from him - I'm fully prepared to spend an hour a day doing the work (rather than 20 minutes of exercises 3 times a week plus 10 minutes a day of stretching).
I was really fed up with the whole thing over the weekend, but now I feel like I'm in control again and I've got the bit between my teeth. :)

« Reply #42 on: 26 February, 2021, 10:32:39 am »
The physio seems happy with my plan. I've been doing 40 minutes a day - either foam rolling and stretching or a whole series of exercises. It still means I only do 3 workouts a week, but they are longer and harder, and I have structure behind the stretching as well. I've also started re-reading "Becoming a supple leopard" because movement patterns matter and I want to get them right.

I'm also becoming more convinced that the problem is only tangentially connected to my hip. The rotation restrictions that I have are inward on my right hip and outward on my left, and they are more significant that the inline restriction that they think is caused by the cam. I think it's my back that's driving everything, which also explains why months of physio exercises working on my glutes and quads really didn't make much difference. We'll see if my new, more rounded workout regime makes any difference in a month (and at that point if it hasn't, I'm definitely going onto the injection waiting list, just for clarity on my theory).

« Reply #43 on: 11 March, 2021, 10:15:26 am »
The good news is last week I had a couple of days without any of my hip pain.
The bad news is that this was down to the fact I had major back ache! I don't know whether the reason the back locking up killed the hip pain is down to the hip pain signal being over-ridden, the physical effect of the back movement restriction, or the hip pain actually being transferred from somewhere else in the back. My back is improving (though I had to sleep on the floor last night as I couldn't get comfortable on the bed!) and my hip pain has returned. Physio appointment next Tuesday - given my back theories I think I'll be requesting the steroid injection after that.

« Reply #44 on: 16 March, 2021, 01:34:27 pm »
Physio agreed with me that the back/hip interaction was interesting, and also that it was probably worth doing the injection as a diagnostic alone.  I'll contact them later to request it, and then see how long it takes before it can be arranged.
I also have some new exercises to work on core and put me in a position where I don't have to use my hip to compensate for my back (or my back to compensate for my hip). Going back in a month to try to assess progress (I have also extended the loan on my turbo trainer for a month so it's not just picking up dust).

« Reply #45 on: 08 April, 2021, 11:01:06 am »
It feels like it's a bit better after working hard on my physio exercises, but maybe that's just me getting used to it. Will talk to the physio next week - the gym around the corner opens up again, so maybe I can push the workout regime a bit further.
I have an Xray guided injection into my hip scheduled for 7 May, and a consultant appointment a month later, so hopefully that can help give me a diagnosis on what is going on.

« Reply #46 on: 09 April, 2021, 05:35:51 pm »
Phone call today - hip injection moved up to Monday!  :thumbsup:

barakta

« Reply #47 on: 09 April, 2021, 11:01:53 pm »
Phone call today - hip injection moved up to Monday!  :thumbsup:

Good luck, hope it helps and is not too painful!

(Mine was virtually painless if useless)

« Reply #48 on: 12 April, 2021, 05:29:26 pm »
It hurt quite a lot, mainly because the muscle they went through is super tight! Will have to see how it feels over the next few weeks.

« Reply #49 on: 14 April, 2021, 10:19:49 am »
I tried doing some exercises yesterday, but they hurt much more than usual so I stopped.
Today it's almost made it back to "normal" - will re-try my exercises again tomorrow. I'm wondering if a short bike ride on the weekend would be a good test to see if it's got any better - Sunday would be 6 days after the injection. I guess it depends on how it feels over the next few days.