Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1253465 times)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #650 on: 04 August, 2009, 05:29:43 pm »
still coming off! 100kg down to 87kg now, none of my clothes fit any more and people laugh at me! Still want to reach 85kg. Didnt ride at all last week, felt drained, 12hrs sleep every night, fell asleep in the afternoon and eve as well! Ok now, got the old Orange P7 out, and thats fun! I dont remeber being this slim/fit ever. :thumbsup:

simonp

« Reply #651 on: 04 August, 2009, 06:13:27 pm »
Post lel. Was 70kg yesterday. Jeans were at risk of falling down (32" waist I think). Bought new underwear in small. Bit loose.

« Reply #652 on: 05 August, 2009, 08:02:58 am »
No idea what my weight was while I was in Aus, but I was definitely at least the same sort of size as last year, and possibly a little skinnier (after the 7 wks of touring!). 

6 weeks sitting on ships & trains with no exercise and a fair amount of (unhealthy) food has been Unhelpful.  Currently at 11st1 (normal range last year was 10st10-10st12, dipping below 10st10 when doing lots of audaxing).  I don't hold with dieting: it's coming off gradually (was 11st2-3 a month ago) as I start doing stuff again. 

« Reply #653 on: 05 August, 2009, 08:49:09 am »
76.6kg, lowest in a long time.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #654 on: 05 August, 2009, 08:53:39 am »
Bah.

I've been quite good, avoiding snacks and reducing the size of my meals, and I've put a kg back on.  >:(

Quite pissed off. It seems never ending.

Although one of the sales people asked where the rest of me had gone yesterday, so it's having some effect. I just can't see it myself.

« Reply #655 on: 05 August, 2009, 09:05:56 am »
Hulver: is that daily weighing (which can be v misleading) or a weekly average or something?  Also, if you're exercising at the same time, you can put muscle-weight on (which is broadly speaking a good thing :) ).

simonp

« Reply #656 on: 05 August, 2009, 09:09:43 am »
Hah.  I've put on post-LEL weight now and am starting to feel flabby again!

hulver

« Reply #657 on: 05 August, 2009, 10:02:36 am »
Hulver: is that daily weighing (which can be v misleading) or a weekly average or something?  Also, if you're exercising at the same time, you can put muscle-weight on (which is broadly speaking a good thing :) ).

I do weigh myself daily, so I can get a rough idea of the average. It's been the same since the weekend.

Perhaps I should throw the scales away and use a tape measure or something.

simonp

« Reply #658 on: 05 August, 2009, 07:44:29 pm »
Hah.  I've put on post-LEL weight now and am starting to feel flabby again!

Correction.  69.3kg.

I've changed shape!

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #659 on: 05 August, 2009, 07:55:43 pm »
I'm back on the weight-loss wagon again.  Things took a downturn around the end of April, stopped logging my weight and started doing things which made me flabby again.  :'(

I'm nearly back to my post Xmas weight but increasing efforts to hit my target by the end of the year.  (The target being one I wanted to hit last month...)
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

simonp

« Reply #660 on: 06 August, 2009, 09:24:53 am »
68.0 kg

OK I can stop now.  Please?

« Reply #661 on: 06 August, 2009, 09:53:07 am »
I do weigh myself daily, so I can get a rough idea of the average. It's been the same since the weekend.

Perhaps I should throw the scales away and use a tape measure or something.

Using both can (IME) be useful. 

In general, it's a good idea to focus more on fitness than on weight per se.  (And BMI isn't all that much more reliable than weight.)  If you're getting fitter (riding further/faster/easier, doing better at whatever non-cycling-sport you're doing, less out of breath when you climb stairs, whatever metric you like), then don't get fixated on the number on the scales.  It's *far* more important for your health to be fit & active than it is to be a certain weight (and indeed there's evidence that dieting for weight can actually be bad for your health). 

« Reply #662 on: 06 August, 2009, 09:57:15 am »
I agree with Juliet, so does my doctor. Getting obsessed about weight can lead to psychological problems.

« Reply #663 on: 06 August, 2009, 10:18:45 am »
(And BMI isn't all that much more reliable than weight.)

BMI is the same as weight, unless you are regularly changing height.

BMI = weight_in_kg / height_in_m2

Since your height remains constant1 BMI is effectively just your weight divided by a constant. If anything it's less useful than the raw weight figure itself.

1. Yes yes, you do get shorter as you get older, or you may have an odd growth spurt, but people generally know how tall they are and use the same figure in the BMI calculation every time.

« Reply #664 on: 06 August, 2009, 11:07:03 am »
I've changed shape!

Same here. Mrs G said I was visibly slimmer when I got back from LEL. My trousers are also noticeably looser around my waist. My thighs and arms seem to be thinning down too.

Access card has stopped working on the door to the work Gym, just as I was considering starting using the treadmill at lunchtimes again. The person I need to talk to to get access back (need to pay another 12 quid for the year) is on holiday for most of August. Hopefully I can sort something out...

« Reply #665 on: 06 August, 2009, 11:09:31 am »
(And BMI isn't all that much more reliable than weight.)

BMI is the same as weight, unless you are regularly changing height.

Yes, sorry: I was thinking about the number-as-guide rather than the watching-the-change thing.

« Reply #666 on: 06 August, 2009, 11:11:57 am »
A very acceptable 84.5 kg today :)

hulver

« Reply #667 on: 06 August, 2009, 03:50:00 pm »

Using both can (IME) be useful. 

In general, it's a good idea to focus more on fitness than on weight per se.  (And BMI isn't all that much more reliable than weight.)  If you're getting fitter (riding further/faster/easier, doing better at whatever non-cycling-sport you're doing, less out of breath when you climb stairs, whatever metric you like), then don't get fixated on the number on the scales.  It's *far* more important for your health to be fit & active than it is to be a certain weight (and indeed there's evidence that dieting for weight can actually be bad for your health). 

I'm happy with my overall fitness. Of course I want to get better, but I can do a 100km bike ride and not be dead by the end of it.

I've got two reasons for wanting to lose weight. I'll look and feel better, and I'll be quicker on the bike.

I'm fed up of carting an extra 6 stone around, it slows me down. I'd quite like to not get dropped as soon as there's an incline.

simonp

« Reply #668 on: 07 August, 2009, 11:12:57 am »
67.3kg!

I was happy with 69kg.  ::-)

Chris S

« Reply #669 on: 07 August, 2009, 11:23:17 am »
67.3kg!

Erm... I'd start to be concerned if I lost nigh on 3Kg in a week - esp if I were as lean as you. Are you feeling ok?

simonp

« Reply #670 on: 07 August, 2009, 11:58:02 am »
67.3kg!

Erm... I'd start to be concerned if I lost nigh on 3Kg in a week - esp if I were as lean as you. Are you feeling ok?

Well, unsurprisingly I've had a bit of low energy this week.  But energy levels were more normal on the ride to work this morning, once I got going, and particularly once I yelled at a driver. :)

I've not eaten enough the past few days.  It'll pass, it always does.  I can't forget to eat properly for too long before my body's defence mechanisms kick in and make me eat properly.

« Reply #671 on: 07 August, 2009, 11:59:46 am »
Sounds to me like you are not recovered after LEL. Take some time off do nothing but eat.

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
« Reply #672 on: 07 August, 2009, 02:35:44 pm »
I've lost almost 1/2 a stone since the start of LEL (vast majority of that since the end). Every day so far, I have been around 1/2 pound lighter and it continues to drop off me. Due to knee problems I have done next to no exercise since LEL and have, if I'm honest, been eating rather....well.

Not dehydrated (I always drink at least 2 litre bottle of water a day). Not sure what is happening.....

I know metabolic rates can be increased for a while after big bouts of exercise but this is summink else!

« Reply #673 on: 07 August, 2009, 02:52:54 pm »
As I posted earlier:-

79.1kg Saturday morning before LEL.
78.2kg Friday morning after LEL.
77.8kg Saturday morning after LEL.
77.2kg Sunday morning after LEL.
76.8kg Monday morning after LEL.
76.6kg Wednesday morning after LEL.

« Reply #674 on: 08 August, 2009, 10:03:08 am »
My weight has largely stayed the same after LEL, went up a kilo then dropped back to 71kg. Done no cycling, not much exercise at all other than walking to the bus stop, some yoga, warm up on the treadmill and some core exercises. It's OK, it's time for recovery and recuperation.