Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3813117 times)

LEE

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #1300 on: 19 August, 2008, 07:28:37 pm »
After exactly 1 calendar month on holiday and/or away from the bike I went out on Sunday for 27 miles, same on Monday and then 14 miles tonight.

I can honestly say I am absolutely knackered.  I've felt better after a 300km Audax.

I completed an SR this year and now I'd struggle on a 100km ride I reckon.

Depressing loss of fitness

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #1301 on: 19 August, 2008, 08:10:50 pm »
Did I mention it was windy and raining? At least that kept the Grockles at bay  :)

You have people with handkerchiefs tied to their heads sunbathing in deck chairs on the White Peak? :thumbsup:

All sorts, old boy, all sorts!!  ;D
When they get tired of the beach they migrate inland, clog the (main) roads (if it is sunny) and lounge around the local camp sites, sights and cafes....

Chris S

« Reply #1302 on: 19 August, 2008, 11:47:49 pm »
28km in just over an hour. Due to a broken audax season, this was the first night riding I've done since (checks Bikejournal) my DNF'd ride home from Cornwall in June.

Up over Bradenham Hill - only a 60m or so gain, but it's a good climb for Norfolk. I'm puffing well by the time I get to the top. I'm getting my night vision back - and remembering just how good Solidlights are. I roll down "Hills and Holes" to the old A47 and turn left into Wendling. I wave towards chez Wafflycat as i pass through, then turn right and head North toward Longham. Crossing the (new) A47 over the bridge, I realise the cars passing below are the first moving vehicles I'm seen since leaving home almost 10km ago. Now I remember why I live round here!

The crickets are singing to me from the hedges as I roll along. It starts to rain, but not much. I can identify nearby towns by their orange glow against the clouds; Watton, Dereham, Fakenham, Swaffham...

I think this is Nutkin territory, I can't be sure, so I wave anyway, before turning left at Longham Hall towards Litcham. Here, the first car passes me since I left home - they slow to little more than 10mph faster than me, and leave loads of room. I cover my lights with my hand a couple of times to flash a thank you, and they dim their lights a couple of times in acknowledgment.

Two Muntjac deer are standing in the road near Litcham Common. They watch me pass, but don't seem that bothered by me. There's a dead adder in the road. The road climbs up here out of the Nar Valley, and it's a slog tonight against a stiff breeze. My dinner is knocking on the door at the back of my throat, so I ease off the pace so as not to leave my supper in the hedge - I've been pushing a 30km/hr average to this point, and I'm feeling it now.

Rolling through Lt Dunham, I bounce along one of the roughest roads I know round here, before reaching a much smoother section down to the A47 at Necton. A short hop and a skip, and I'm back home, ready for a cuppa and bed.

An excellent ride - beats the TV any night!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1303 on: 21 August, 2008, 02:41:41 pm »
A fine pub lunch with Fattersreturnedfromacrossthepond. We went to hte Punch Bowl, Paglesham Church End. A new ale for me: Beijing Gold, from Ossett Ales. I had a ham ploughmans. Very tasty.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #1304 on: 21 August, 2008, 03:24:49 pm »
A fine pub lunch with Fattersreturnedfromacrossthepond. We went to hte Punch Bowl, Paglesham Church End. A new ale for me: Beijing Gold, from Ossett Ales. I had a ham ploughmans. Very tasty.

I have consumed many a pint of Ossett ales at the link below ,does it travel well  ?

home

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1305 on: 21 August, 2008, 03:26:27 pm »
It was very acceptable. Hoppy, which is as I like it. My third pint, of some local brew (Brentwood something) was not in the same league as the first two.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1306 on: 21 August, 2008, 11:40:19 pm »
 I did a Billy No Mates ride this evening- none of the usual crew turned up. In the end I did about 36 miles involving a ride around Wythenshawe (not recommended for scenery) before I managed to hit the airport peripheral cycle way.
I can only assume that a domestic rabbit was let loose and that it has now bred because there were 3 black rabbits grazing away on the verge. Then it was under the runway tunnels and up past Cheshire Smokehouse en route to Knutsford.
After that, round Tatton Park to Hale and up and over to Burnage. There, a well-dressed pedestrian commented that my light was "Ridiculous". I assume that he thought that it was too bright  8) but I wasn't inclined to stop to discuss it.
Finally, back to Chorlton and home.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1307 on: 22 August, 2008, 10:49:53 am »
I did a Billy No Mates ride this evening- none of the usual crew turned up. In the end I did about 36 miles involving a ride around Wythenshawe (not recommended for scenery)

But at least you have an incentive to keep your speed up :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #1308 on: 22 August, 2008, 12:37:09 pm »
I did a Billy No Mates ride this evening- none of the usual crew turned up. In the end I did about 36 miles involving a ride around Wythenshawe (not recommended for scenery)

But at least you have an incentive to keep your speed up :)

Yes, and I saw lots of Rottweilers and Staffie crosses.
Eye contact was studiously avoided.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #1309 on: 22 August, 2008, 04:35:00 pm »
Just a quick "figure of 8" in Richmond Park (in Roehampton Gate, over Spankers Hill, Up Bastard Hill back over Spankers and out through Roehampton Gate again). 20 miles average 17.4. Now in the right frame of mind to finish this proposal...

Jezza

« Reply #1310 on: 22 August, 2008, 06:55:05 pm »
Spankers Hill, Up Bastard Hill

No way.  :D Are they real places ?

PaulF

« Reply #1311 on: 22 August, 2008, 07:14:20 pm »
Spankers Hill, Up Bastard Hill

No way.  :D Are they real places ?

Oh yes see here for a download, although B'stard hill was christened by one of the fair maidens of this parish :)

« Reply #1312 on: 22 August, 2008, 07:30:42 pm »
Oh yes see here for a download, although B'stard hill was christened by one of the fair maidens of this parish :)

Rather bizarrely, since that map shows some roads which are marked as "Road open to motor traffic" & "Cycling permitted", whereas others are only marked as "Road open to motor traffic", this implies that there are certain roads which can't be cycled on. :o  I'm fairly sure this isn't the case, but that map seems a bit odd.
Actually, it is rocket science.

PaulF

« Reply #1313 on: 22 August, 2008, 07:39:10 pm »

Rather bizarrely, since that map shows some roads which are marked as "Road open to motor traffic" & "Cycling permitted", whereas others are only marked as "Road open to motor traffic", this implies that there are certain roads which can't be cycled on. :o  I'm fairly sure this isn't the case, but that map seems a bit odd.

Well the police don't seem to mind :) they're usually more interested in catching speeders (There's a 20mph limit there) not  that I would  dream of going down Sawyers Hill without dragging my brakes O:-)

border-rider

« Reply #1314 on: 22 August, 2008, 07:52:02 pm »
a very hilly 110 k, including the Gospel Pass.  I sloped off work and took advantage of the sunny weather :)

PaulF

« Reply #1315 on: 22 August, 2008, 08:06:39 pm »
a very hill 110 k, including the Gospel Pass.  I sloped off work and took advantage of the sunny weather :)

a very hilly 110 k, including the Gospel Pass.  I sloped off work and took advantage of the sunny weather :)

Look, you may have sunny weather where you are but no need to rub it in :)

« Reply #1316 on: 23 August, 2008, 11:18:38 am »
Yes, forced myself out accompanying Woolly when he set off for work at 0830 and did a lovely 3.5 laps of the park. Feeling stronger today! :)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1317 on: 23 August, 2008, 03:30:28 pm »
Out to pick up the motor, which was abandoned at work lasst night as I was out for a drink in than Lunnon.

Horribly aware that I've done bugger all riding of note lately and that I'm down to do a 200k Audax on 7th September and I'm away on holiday tomorrow for a week, without bike, I took the pretty way. 

Great weather, sunny, not too hot, no wind to speak of, I felt good. Riding hard (for me), attacking the hills,  34km in an hour and a quarter.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #1318 on: 23 August, 2008, 03:36:02 pm »
no  :-[

The desire to ride has not been with me this week.  ???

« Reply #1319 on: 23 August, 2008, 03:56:24 pm »
Just made the horrific discovery that, other than 3x 2mile each way commutes, I haven't ridden a bike in August.  Short holiday in Belgium, couple of nasty migraine attacks and excessive demands from work.

Coupled with a major lack of incentive at the moment - it's been easier to hope the weather would improve rather than just get out there in it.

« Reply #1320 on: 23 August, 2008, 04:16:42 pm »
I've just got in from a 47.4 mile ride took me 4 hours :( I'm not getting any quicker

« Reply #1321 on: 23 August, 2008, 06:45:09 pm »
100k audax from mildenhall with Mrs Mike - her longest and fastest ride evah!

(we went round with Liz and Charlotte, Liz's longest ever fixed ride and another fixed audax point for Ms. C)

Beautiful day, lovely company, pretty roads.  What more could we have wanted?  Beer?  Just the one, in the pub where me and mrs mike had our first date - ahhhhh...

« Reply #1322 on: 23 August, 2008, 07:05:14 pm »
the pub where me and mrs mike had our first date - ahhhhh...

MMMMmmmm loverly  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

« Reply #1323 on: 24 August, 2008, 08:02:54 pm »
Rode the Blackdown Grimpeur Permanent Audax ride,
120 km with 2.5 AAA points.

An excellent ride from Ilminster to Sidmouth and back via Hemyock, Blackborough, Tipton St. John, Otterton, Branscombe and Widworthy.

Some of Devons finest hills and lanes, and 4 fords !

« Reply #1324 on: 24 August, 2008, 08:41:04 pm »
I rode with the Cheltenham & County racing/sportive riders instead of the CTC group. I wanted to ride out of my comfort zone and by George, that was the case. Very briskand hilly ride to Tetbury. After 11s the speed was just has high and I had to back off and return at my own pace.

Next time I'll leave the Longstaff audax bike at home and use the xacd titanium.  It's a lot lighter and I might stand a better chance of being a bit closer to the riders on the climbs.   ;)