Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1718735 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #150 on: 16 September, 2009, 09:08:04 am »
Monday's a possible but it's my "no alcohol" day 'cos I take me tablets. I'd have to watch you drink whilst I stuck to jessie juice..

No worries, come along   :thumbsup:  I could either meet you at the station or you could come round here.  I was going to set off at about 6:30pm after me tea.

I have been reminded by Dez that I have another commitment on Monday. Sorry!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #151 on: 16 September, 2009, 09:39:11 am »
Monday's a possible but it's my "no alcohol" day 'cos I take me tablets. I'd have to watch you drink whilst I stuck to jessie juice..

No worries, come along   :thumbsup:  I could either meet you at the station or you could come round here.  I was going to set off at about 6:30pm after me tea.

I have been reminded by Dez that I have another commitment on Monday. Sorry!

No problem, there will be other times. 

Oscar's dad

« Reply #152 on: 17 September, 2009, 09:47:34 am »
We have a new play mate.  My chum Steve (fellow school governor) has just signed up to YACF under the handle hasy64.  Steve is a keen runner whose legs have persuaded him to take up cycling.  Hopefully I will be dragging him out tonight for an inaugural ride and couple of pints.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #153 on: 17 September, 2009, 09:51:29 am »
Have you warned him about the Initiation Ceremony? :o
Getting there...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #154 on: 17 September, 2009, 09:53:40 am »
Have you warned him about the Initiation Ceremony? :o

Which one? 

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #155 on: 17 September, 2009, 09:58:17 am »
Well, you may have a specific Essex-branch version, but surely you remember your own Hazing, with Hummers & his collection of root vegetables?  Or has the therapy helped you deal with that, and bring closure now? ;D
Getting there...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #156 on: 17 September, 2009, 10:06:44 am »
Well, you may have a specific Essex-branch version, but surely you remember your own Hazing, with Hummers & his collection of root vegetables?  Or has the therapy helped you deal with that, and bring closure now? ;D

Ah yes, I had managed to erase the experience from my memory, so thanks for bringing it all flooding back  >:(  Therapy is very expensive these days - all that beer, and all those pickled eggs.  I can't imagine that you'll be making any sort of financial contribution  ::-)

I was lured to a secret location near Portsmouth with the promise that I would finally get to meet Girls Aloud.  I was told to drink a liquid that purported to be the pride of London, after which it all went dark.  What happened next cannot be committed to text as there are people here of a nervous disposition and yet more who are easily offended.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #157 on: 17 September, 2009, 10:16:09 am »
Sorry, sorry.  I didn't mean you to have to relive the Trauma.  I shall buy you a pickled egg by recompense ;D
Getting there...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #158 on: 17 September, 2009, 10:24:48 am »
Sorry, sorry.  I didn't mean you to have to relive the Trauma.  I shall buy you a pickled egg by recompense ;D

I should think so.  Be a bit more careful in the future or I'll tell everyone how you like dressing up as Margaret Thatcher when you think nobody is looking.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #159 on: 17 September, 2009, 10:25:30 am »
How did you know that? :o  Have you been borrowing that 2032mm lens from PaulR? ;D
Getting there...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #160 on: 17 September, 2009, 10:28:30 am »
How did you know that? :o  Have you been borrowing that 2032mm lens from PaulR? ;D

No, I have my own sources and many sauces too.  Very little escapes me and what does is normally just gas.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #161 on: 18 September, 2009, 08:55:23 am »
A fun night was had last night on the "Not so Mid Week Mid-Essex Nocturnal Ride"  Me and Steve (hasy64) set off from my garage door heading for St Anne's Castle at Great Leighs.  It might be the oldest inn in England but it's pretty uninspiring none-the-less.  Apparently this is due to a fire in the 1860's which razed the old pub building to the ground. 

After a pint we set off for the Compasses at Littley Green - much, much nicer.  A pint and more chat was had before we headed for home via The Square & Compasses at Fuller Street for a third pint.

Steve did extremely well given that his conversion from runner to cyclist as far from complete (he hasn't had a clippless moment yet) and he rides a 15 year old MTB with road tyres.  Once he does get a road bike there'll be no holding him back.

A very pleasant night, great company, just under 20 miles and 3 pubs which is an acceptable miles / pub ratio and I was tucked up in bed by 10pm.

And so to (drum roll) "The No-Where Near Mid Week Mid-Essex Nocturnal Ride" ... next Monday  ::-) (bloody work  >:( )

As mentioned I fancy the Five Bells at Colne Engaine.  Does anyone fancy joining me?  Or does anyone have a better idea?

« Reply #162 on: 18 September, 2009, 10:54:48 am »
Steve did extremely well given that his conversion from runner to cyclist as far from complete (he hasn't had a clippless moment yet) and he rides a 15 year old MTB with road tyres.  Once he does get a road bike there'll be no holding him back.

You didn't take him up Nutty's slimed bottom then?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #163 on: 18 September, 2009, 10:59:28 am »

You didn't take him up Nutty's slimed bottom then?

No, I decided that was unwise.  We don't want him to peak to early nor scare the poor chap off.  Plus I didn't want another swim, twice in two weeks would have been too much!

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #164 on: 18 September, 2009, 03:07:12 pm »
A fun night was had last night on the "Not so Mid Week Mid-Essex Nocturnal Ride"  Me and Steve (hasy64) set off from my garage door heading for St Anne's Castle at Great Leighs.  It might be the oldest inn in England but it's pretty uninspiring none-the-less.  Apparently this is due to a fire in the 1860's which razed the old pub building to the ground. 

It does have two major things going for it:- it serves two to three real ales and is open in the afternoons (and so makes a convenient holding point whilst waiting for the Compasses and/or Square and Compasses to reopen after their afternoon hiatuses).

You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

« Reply #165 on: 18 September, 2009, 03:18:07 pm »

It does have two major things going for it:- it serves two to three real ales and is open in the afternoons (and so makes a convenient holding point whilst waiting for the Compasses and/or Square and Compasses to reopen after their afternoon hiatuses).

;D 

Your observations merely reinforce the inadequacies of my life: my afternoons are taken up with dull work which prevents me from cruising the pubs of Essex.  Long may you continue to be able to do this noble endeavour! 

Wotcha doing Monday evening???

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #166 on: 18 September, 2009, 07:20:03 pm »
Your observations merely reinforce the inadequacies of my life: my afternoons are taken up with dull work which prevents me from cruising the pubs of Essex.  Long may you continue to be able to do this noble endeavour! 

It's a tough job but someone's got to do it.  O:-)

Babysitting, I'm afraid.  :'(

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #167 on: 19 September, 2009, 10:10:18 am »
What's the plan for next week?
I think we should make a list of a dozen pubs and visit them in order, one per week, and when we get to the end we just repeat the series. Just turn up at the appointed time, 2000 - 2030 hrs, have a drink and a chat. All welcome and no pressure on turning up every week.

I think that del's suggestion is definitely the way to go  :thumbsup: ... how about a planning session (in a pub on a wednesday night, naturally) as soon as possible to decide on a list?  If we can get a quorum of, say, at least 3 of those hoping to attend semi-regularly together along with OS maps, good beer guide(s) and local knowledge, then we should be able to get a good mix of suggestions of pubs/dates etc.

As it happens, I can't go out next Wednesday (23rd) (but don't let that stop anybody else from doing it then!). 

Alternatively, Oscar's Dad could step in as "benevolent dictator" and define the list unilaterally, but I can't help but think that all the nice pubs will be mysteriously scheduled for every other week, with the venues for the intervening weeks (when he's safely tucked up in a Pompey pub!)  chosen from the "Worst Pubs in East Anglia" guide book.  ;)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #168 on: 19 September, 2009, 10:34:34 am »

Babysitting, I'm afraid.  :'(

Bring them with you.  I think I can get your big one on the back of the tandem and the little one can go in the kiddy seat on the back of your machine.  I can't think of a better example of responsible parenting  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #169 on: 19 September, 2009, 10:51:01 am »
The idea of a planning session is an excellent one and I certainly don't want to be a benevolent dictator.  My work schedule is severely buggering up my plans hence me doing some non mid-week rides just to ensure I get out each week.  The next mid-Essex ride I can do is Wednesday 21st October but I can do a Pompey ride on Wednesday 30th September.  This is not good  >:(   :-[ 

So, I suggest a planning session is held in my absence and I will just fit in with whatever plan you come up with.  The other day Bobb mentioned a Christmas do so perhaps this can be factored in.

What do we think?

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #170 on: 20 September, 2009, 11:14:54 pm »
[...]The next mid-Essex ride I can do is Wednesday 21st October but I can do a Pompey ride on Wednesday 30th September.  This is not good  >:(   :-[ 

OK ... anybody .. any advance on 21st Oct?  I can currently do 30.09.2009 and each Weds onwards,
with the 30th being "good if I was out" ;-).

So, I suggest a planning session is held in my absence and I will just fit in with whatever plan you come up with.  The other day Bobb mentioned a Christmas do so perhaps this can be factored in.

What do we think?

in terms of planning session location, I'm happy to do almost anywhere ... given that many potential regulars are either Witham, Chelmsford or Southend based, maybe somewhere in the Hanningfields, Cold Norton/Roundbush-ish or Battlesbridge-ish areas might maximise attendance (rideable for all of the above and near to Shenfield for an all-lines bail-out?

In fact, how about Stock?  Maybe the Hoop?

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #171 on: 20 September, 2009, 11:57:39 pm »
Don't rely on my attendance on Wednesdays, so don't pick a pub on account of me riding from Saarfend. OK, Del might, but he also might start off in the afternoon. I teach until 7.30 then I eat.

I can probably do the last Weds in Oct, which is half-term, but I might just be riding somewhere anyway because I won't be working.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #172 on: 21 September, 2009, 05:38:33 am »
I am happy to go to The Hoop for any occasion - smashing pub.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #173 on: 22 September, 2009, 08:27:35 am »
Last night's "Nowhere near Mid Week Mid-Essex Nocturnal Ride" was a solitary affair but enjoyable all the same. 

The outward leg was uneventful and I found the Five Bells at Colne Engaine without too much bother.  I had a pint of Nuclear Reactor (or was it Atomic Reactor?), a packet of crisps and pickled egg.  The pub seemed very nice with a good looking restaurant, the barmaid knew how to serve a pickled egg and popped it in my bag of crisps without any prompting - none of this ramekin nonsense!

The return leg was very dark with no moon that I could see, the only heavenly bodies were the planes taking off from Stansted over to the west.  In places the road winds through trees which was quite spooky.  I had to go carefully as the lanes were unfamiliar and narrow with a good sprinkling of gravel.  All the same I was pleased with my average of 13.3 mph.

I got back at just after 9pm having looped round the block to take me over the 30 mile mark.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #174 on: 26 September, 2009, 12:22:05 am »
It does have two major things going for it:- [...]

Add to that a third ... I can ride there in less than 28 mins from my house, and ride back in less than 25 with appropriate fuel (which is handily available on-site).