Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1718118 times)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #475 on: 10 November, 2009, 05:20:50 pm »
I would like to point out that the rain comment isn't because he's a soft Southerner but because his borrowed bicycle has no mudguards and he has a care for his wife the washerwoman...
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #476 on: 10 November, 2009, 05:23:23 pm »
I would like to point out that the rain comment isn't because he's a soft Southerner but because his borrowed bicycle has no mudguards and he has a care for his wife the washerwoman...

Blimey, you don't meet blokes like that on the internet.

« Reply #477 on: 10 November, 2009, 09:12:03 pm »
I've had the exciting experience of being stuck in bed with the flu since Sunday night so probably best I give this weeks a miss  :(

Have a good one and I look forward to hearing of the shenanigans   :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #478 on: 11 November, 2009, 09:40:55 am »
I'll be elsewhere - Eastwood Community Centre, to be precise, where Dez has an anti-airport meeting.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #479 on: 11 November, 2009, 03:48:42 pm »
Uncle James and I setting off in 15 minutes for Cold Norton. Seeya there Del!

James wants to cycle up North Hill on the return journey though as he gets fed up having to cycle as slowly as me.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Oscar's dad

« Reply #480 on: 11 November, 2009, 04:07:45 pm »
Looks like I can now do next week  :thumbsup:  Are we still going to Maldon down the (muddy but flat) Blackwater Rail Trail?

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #481 on: 11 November, 2009, 05:50:23 pm »
Looks like I can now do next week  :thumbsup:  Are we still going to Maldon down the (muddy but flat) Blackwater Rail Trail?

That's certainly my thinking -- i might try and do a recce in the light a day or two before to assess the extent of any mud/floods/swamps etc.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #482 on: 12 November, 2009, 12:33:11 am »

To keep people on their toes,  the following is a) presented in reverse chronological order and b) contains one blatant untruth.

I arrived home just before midnight (unheard of in these ventures ;))

I toppled off my bike once whilst stationary (whilst trying to keep said vehicle upright, with a single, unbalanced 4 kg pannier,  whilst chatting to Tomsk, after a "few" pints of the wonderful "Hop Harvest" and fishing in my jersey for the phone to check where OD had got to.)

We enjoyed pickled eggs, and more "wee timing".

We found out that OD and I have identical tattoos  :o

The very local Mayland Brewery's Hop Harvest ale was enjoyed by all (apart from AH who was treated to tea on the house  :thumbsup:)

The Mighty1) North Hill was ascended.

OD crossed Nutty's slimed bottom with rubber and only suffered a wet foot.

OD was reunited with said glove.

OD lost a glove

A call was received indicating that the tea-seeking contingent were running late and would meet us possibly at the Norton, and possibly en-route.

----------------------
1. as described in the blurb for the Essex Roads Spring Lambs Sportive.

« Reply #483 on: 12 November, 2009, 12:57:47 am »
A damp 85 miles for me this day. A pleasant trip to meet AH and UJ and then a off to Witham to have a cuppa at chez Oaky. Unfortunately I used my average speed when working out the time for this leg and not AH's so we were too late and had to bounce. Still we had snackage at the Peartree Pantry, lovingly made by AH own hand. AH put her chavmous lights on. A little showery/drizzly but mostly dry and not too cold.
The beer, as Oaky has said, was good and the free tea was indeed tea and free. Some further snackage provided by the bar and AH. I Met Tomsk.
A jolly good evening. On the way home I felt utterly weird, light headed, queasy, and jelly legged. Don't know why, but I stopped for more snackage and water only 3 miles from home.
I have some pictures to upload later today.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #484 on: 12 November, 2009, 07:42:44 am »
Oaky got drunk. Fortunately once drunk he gets slower, when he's not falling off.

« Reply #485 on: 12 November, 2009, 08:25:16 am »
Oaky drunk, never!  :o

Slideshow is here, Clicky, but I have to warn you some of the images are not for the faint of heart. (mods may want to move it to NSFW!) Larger pics on Picasa.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #486 on: 12 November, 2009, 08:40:20 am »
Good photos Del!

Well Uncle James and I set off to the wilds of Mid Essex from the calm and demure parts of North-East Essex by means of our Horseless Carriage.

We arrived at the Norton and spotted a Dawes Galaxy standing in a lonely manner by the side of the pub so we started excavating the bikes from the car and rebuilding them. Del appeared and proceeded to look rather chilly whilst we put the bikes together, including my rather fantastic Christmas Light show on my trike's flagpole.

We set off at Auntie Helen's pace and I had my first minor technical issue after a couple of miles when I realised my front light was about to fall off; clipped it in properly and we carried on. I then had to discard my left hand side rear-view mirror when the screw came loose so that went into the pannier. We continued on.

We did a bit of that hill at Danbury and had a wonderful downhill whizz on a lovely smooth road. It became clear that we were behind schedule and eventually rolled up at Oaky's house 50 minutes later than the original plan. We eschewed the delights of having a bedtime story read to us by Mrs_O and turned back Southwards, setting off into the cold dark.

We were feeling a bit peckish so stopped for a baguette that I had previously made (cheese & ham or salami & ham) and then continued onwards. This route was much shorter and felt flatter too; it was retracing various routes I've already done with Oaky so was familiar to me. We rolled up to the pub at a quarter past eight and I demonstrated my exciting Christmas lights to the chaps there. A constant stream of cups of tea and pints of beer continued and I did my sales pitch for the fantastic Colchester (and elsewhere) store 'The Range'

Shop Online at The Range - Furniture, Arts & Crafts, Garden, Housewares & Pet Care

which has anything you could reasonably want (apart from bicycles). I had a selection of The Range Fantastic Tuff Bike Bags for Del to deliver to Wow, plus of course my The Range Christmas lights on the bike (battery powered, for £3.99). I also had a fine selection of Aldi Comestibles.

A very pleasant evening all round, we got home at a quarter to midnight and I then had a disturbed night as the dog had gurgle tums and had to keep going out in the garden to vomit. It's cold at 3am when you're waiting for the dog to come in...

And now we're off to buy James a bike!

« Reply #487 on: 12 November, 2009, 08:54:40 am »
We did a bit of that hill at Danbury and had a wonderful downhill whizz on a lovely smooth road. It became clear that we were behind schedule and eventually rolled up at Oaky's house 50 minutes later than the original plan. We eschewed the delights of having a bedtime story read to us by Mrs_O and turned back Southwards, setting off into the cold dark.
The Ridge, leading to the top of North Hill is now repaved and is ultra smooth and so much better than it's been in years.  8)
My apologies for the lack of bedtime story/tea at Oaky's.  :-[

Edit:
Here's an image requested by Oaky!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #488 on: 12 November, 2009, 10:08:54 am »
What does that say on Oaky's tattoo?  Anyhow ...

Another smashing ride and my first for some time in a bit of rain.  I enjoy riding in the rain, shame it wasn't heavy enough to warrant the fetish gear.

It was good to meet Uncle James.  I like the way that we are slowly adding to our number.

Great pictures as always Del.  As I'm not a contortionist I don't get to see my arse very often so I am pleased to note it is in rude health.

Roll on next week and the Blackwater Rail Trail  :thumbsup:

« Reply #489 on: 12 November, 2009, 10:11:35 am »
What does that say on Oaky's tattoo?
This larger image will reveal all, Clicky. (about 1 meg)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #490 on: 12 November, 2009, 10:17:50 am »
What does that say on Oaky's tattoo?
This larger image will reveal all, Clicky. (about 1 meg)

;D 

I think he should have it done for real to show his love and devotion to a long suffering woman!

« Reply #491 on: 12 November, 2009, 10:19:59 am »

Edit:

This picture should definitely be posted on the YACF jersey pictures thread!
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

« Reply #492 on: 12 November, 2009, 10:24:39 am »

Edit:

This picture should definitely be posted on the YACF jersey pictures thread!
Never knowingly refused a Sheila, YACF jersey pictures

« Reply #493 on: 12 November, 2009, 10:32:49 am »
Thanks del!
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

Oscar's dad

« Reply #494 on: 12 November, 2009, 04:11:49 pm »
I know I am being as thick as a whale sandwich but I still don't understand why look-a-likes Del and Uncle James can't touch.

« Reply #495 on: 12 November, 2009, 04:24:06 pm »
I know I am being as thick as a whale sandwich but I still don't understand why look-a-likes Del and Uncle James can't touch.
He lives 30 miles away.  ::-)

NSFW in 3 posts?

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #496 on: 12 November, 2009, 04:33:51 pm »

There would be a massive matter/anti-matter explosion.

Their entire mass would be converted to energy in an instant, destroying the world.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #497 on: 12 November, 2009, 05:54:37 pm »
Destroy the world! :o

Makes you think doesn't it?  Down the ages we have thought all sorts of people could destroy civilisation as we know it: witches, people of certain religions and races. Yet all along we should have been persecuting balding blokes in glasses who can destroy the world just by holding hands!

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #498 on: 12 November, 2009, 06:03:33 pm »
Yet all along we should have been persecuting balding blokes in glasses who can destroy the world just by holding hands!

BURN THEM!!!!!    :demon: :demon: :demon: :demon: :demon: :demon:
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #499 on: 12 November, 2009, 06:46:35 pm »
BURN THEM!!!!!    :demon: :demon: :demon: :demon: :demon: :demon:
Let he who is full of hair and spectacle free cast the first match.  O:-)

::-)  :P  ;D