Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1738187 times)

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #650 on: 02 December, 2009, 07:43:36 pm »
Surely nobody sane has ventured out tonight?!!
Well, we haven't!  :thumbsup:
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #651 on: 02 December, 2009, 08:23:39 pm »
I just rode a very wet mile home from my evening appointment. It was not raining when I left home just before 6. It was 'orrible and wet just now. Fortunately I possess more than one pair of trousers and one pair of socks.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #652 on: 02 December, 2009, 09:49:26 pm »
Me, Oaky and chief did. Wasn't that wet. I left early, the other two are still there!

« Reply #653 on: 02 December, 2009, 11:06:14 pm »
Surely nobody sane has ventured out tonight?!!

Well I didn't take the shortest route home from work  ;D

But I didn't leave work until 18:15  >:(  And it's been a rush ever since then  :-\  Maybe I'll go out for a walk in a minute to chill out.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #654 on: 02 December, 2009, 11:33:34 pm »
Me, Oaky and chief did. Wasn't that wet. I left early, the other two are still there!

Very WET now.  I rode through rivers to get home.  chief has a "deep dark secret" regarding his route home that shall not be revealed.

I have the OD (and co-conspirators') "evil plan" minutes in my pannier, and will write them up soon, but probably not until tomorrow night.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #655 on: 02 December, 2009, 11:34:28 pm »

« Reply #656 on: 03 December, 2009, 11:25:57 am »
As I left work last night the rain started to come down heavier, it's stayed fairly heavy for the for the 40 minutes or so that it took me to cycle home, it eased up just as rolled down my road ::-).

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #657 on: 09 December, 2009, 12:07:00 am »
BTW -- the last scheduled ride in the current series is tomorrow night, to the White Hart at Margaretting Tye.

I'm not going to be able to make that one though (mrs_o is out).  I won't be around the week after (16th Dec) either, although there is a possibility I might be able to come out to play on the 23rd (which coincides with the Compasses at Littley Green's carol singing night, IIRC).

We decided to start the new MEMWNS series on 6th Jan.  I'll post the list we came up with along with the details of OD's EVIL PLANTM as soon as we've ironed out a couple of things we didn't determine on the night.

« Reply #658 on: 09 December, 2009, 01:16:02 am »
I won't be there (as usual  ::-)) as I'm on taxi driver duty for Mrs Nutty's work do.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #659 on: 09 December, 2009, 08:20:13 am »
Shan't be there tonight folks - not with an expedition westwards on Friday. Too many journeys down the A12 are not good for one's mental balance.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Oscar's dad

« Reply #660 on: 09 December, 2009, 08:22:47 am »
I'm not riding tonight and I suspect I won't do anymore Wednesday rides until the new series starts in 2010.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #661 on: 09 December, 2009, 08:31:35 am »
Hmmph! Just as I become available everyone else buggers off.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #662 on: 09 December, 2009, 05:45:18 pm »
Just to say, I'm saving myself for Friday ;D! And I won't be allowed out to play at all if I haven't earned the Brownie points with them indoors. Oh dear, so sad :(

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #663 on: 10 December, 2009, 09:18:02 am »
MINUTES OF MEETING OF THE MEMWNS BENIGN DICTATORSHIP 2/12/2009

Present: Oscars dad, chief, Oaky

We decided that since there were three of us present, and had prior backing of the group for benign dictatorship duties, we would proceed as a triumvirate to plan the first half of next year.

A new feature of the MEMWNS rides was proposed by Oscars dad, and unanimously accepted (see "THE EVIL PLAN" below).

A pub list and victim list were thrashed out, with reference to the original list and several bang up to date pub/beer/AA guides, thoughtfully provided by the Square and Compasses.

Beer was consumed, mostly a Boggart's brew called "Ray of Sunshine", I believe.  Snacks were eaten.

Business was concluded and OD shipped off home early to prepare for driving at silly-o'clock the next morning.

THE EVIL PLAN

As well as the current format rides (well, more a list of pubs and dates), we have decided to make one Wednesday a month into a hosted ride, where a carefully selected list of GENIAL HOSTS will show us the delights of their neck of the woods.  These will almost certainly have at the very least a rail-and-ride component for people not local to the area in question.

We have "volunteered" a likely list of folks to lead rides (See "GENIAL HOSTS" below), and allocated them to dates in the "PUBLIST" section.  These are obviously not set in stone.  If anyone we've victimised below doesn't want to lead one then let us know.  Likewise if you aren't named, but want to, shout up!

THE PUBLIST

There is a Google Map listing all of the locations in this list as well as some previous ones that don't explicitly appear.  I have siphoned these off into a separate thread to make them easier to find (since we're now on page 45 or so of this one).  The separate thread will be the canonical/authoritative listing!

EDIT:  I have now elided the list from this thread --- the other thread linked above is now the repository for the list.

THE VICTIMS GENIAL HOSTS

Oscars dad (Various compasses)
Oaky (Witham/Totham/Maldon pub crawl loop)
chief (assorted bridleway stuff -- not too off-roady)
The Southenders (wowbagger, delthebike, ?nuttycyclist?, ...)
Tokamak+bobb (the delights of Chelmsford and environs)
Tomsk (Dunmow)
Auntie Helen+Uncle James (Tendring)
mike (That's what you get for volunteering to show people the highest point :)
special guest host - a certain Jon, not (yet?) of this forum.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #664 on: 10 December, 2009, 09:21:19 am »
^^^  A big thank you to Mr Oaky for doing all this hard work  :thumbsup:

PS: you forgot to mention that you fell off on your way home from this planning session.  I do hope your broken rib gets better soon but I hope you won't mind if I snigger a bit  ;D

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #665 on: 10 December, 2009, 09:26:36 am »
Hmmph! Just as I become available everyone else buggers off.

I can't come out on the 16th (chess match), but may well be doing an extraordinary outing with mrs_o on the 23rd, subject to persuading the in-laws to babysit.  Tentative at present.

I think the Compasses at Littley Green has carol singing1 that night.  I may have to grudgingly take a ride out there one afternoon to double check  ;).

[1]
(click to show/hide)

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #666 on: 10 December, 2009, 09:30:06 am »

PS: you forgot to mention that you fell off on your way home from this planning session.  I do hope your broken rib gets better soon but I hope you won't mind if I snigger a bit  ;D

:)

Actually,  if you could do all my hearty laughing for me until it clears up a bit, that'd help.  Perhaps you could read any RANTs posted by Mr. Larrington to save me from pain --- the last one I read damn near killed me.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #667 on: 10 December, 2009, 09:38:31 am »

Actually,  if you could do all my hearty laughing for me until it clears up a bit, that'd help.  Perhaps you could read any RANTs posted by Mr. Larrington to save me from pain --- the last one I read damn near killed me.

I'll try.  Just don't ask me to do your drinking as I'm not sure my liver could cope.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #668 on: 10 December, 2009, 09:51:32 am »
ADDENDUM TO THE MINUTES

Please note that one of the pubs in the publist is in SUFFOLK.

It is the responsibility of each participant to ensure that their own visa, passport and vaccinations are all up to date before attempting the border crossing.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #669 on: 10 December, 2009, 06:15:52 pm »
    Planning.....I like it, might catch on.
    Well done those three wise men.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #670 on: 10 December, 2009, 06:26:08 pm »
The D-Day landings and the subsequent liberation of Europe was less complex. Oaky did most of the work.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #671 on: 10 December, 2009, 11:29:25 pm »
The D-Day landings and the subsequent liberation of Europe was less complex. Oaky did most of the work.

Blimey! He doesn't look old enough.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #672 on: 11 December, 2009, 03:21:39 pm »

Wouldn't you know it -- bikeradar publish this helpful guide just too late for me.

I think this --> <-- was me

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #673 on: 22 December, 2009, 08:09:00 pm »
I can't come out on the 16th (chess match), but may well be doing an extraordinary outing with mrs_o on the 23rd, subject to persuading the in-laws to babysit.  Tentative at present.

I think the Compasses at Littley Green has carol singing1 that night.  I may have to grudgingly take a ride out there one afternoon to double check  ;).

[1]
(click to show/hide)

Having, earlier today, seen just the bottom end of the road I'd be taking out of Witham to get to the Compasses, I can pretty much say right now that I'm not going out tomorrow night (23rd)  unless there's a mahoosive change in conditions between now and then (and right now it's subzero again, so I doubt it).

I shall stay home and make inroads into my stock of Mighty Oak X Mouse Ale and <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/OW_zi8n4HDQ&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/OW_zi8n4HDQ&rel=1</a> instead.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #674 on: 22 December, 2009, 08:11:44 pm »
I am seriously fed up with the ice. Me un Twinkle Toes could have been out loads if the roads hadn't so bad. Not happy.