Author Topic: Wild Atlantic Way Audax 2020  (Read 32682 times)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Re: Wild Atlantic Way Audax 2020
« Reply #75 on: 04 September, 2019, 08:21:57 pm »
Feck knows would be the answer to that.

We'll have to wait and see as things get officially announced and discussed. Last time there was a variety of food choices but those weren't mid day; apart from Kilrush after the ferry crossing. I had a chicken curry at that shelter control.

:)

There's something I quite like of the idea of piling into an irish pub around 7pm and purchasing the entire menu.

« Reply #76 on: 06 September, 2019, 12:36:47 pm »
forget BREXIT !!

Entries open in November 2019 for the 2200 kms of wild atlantic roads (and weather), once the final route selection is made, dates will be confirmed.

Those wild atlantic roads will test you, like never before. The Irish welcome will strengthen and inspire you.

Certainly longer, and arguably tougher than  LEJOG, LEL, PBP; only the bravest, the most foolhardy, the most determined and those with bags of intestinal fortitude need apply!

Ireland is calling, Ireland expects,

WAWA 2020 awaits you.......

here is Ed (the guvnor's) post; https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2601345270086666&set=gm.1299026123615922&type=3&theater&ifg=1

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #77 on: 06 September, 2019, 03:45:44 pm »
I pretty much decided not to do any 600km+ brevets anymore for the foreseeable future because of the nerve damage it gets me.

And I was thinking of finally doing this home-to-cape-north tour next year.

Now this raid thing comes along and I am sorely tempted to throw out all plans and resolutions  ;D

Phil W

« Reply #78 on: 06 September, 2019, 04:49:09 pm »
It's certainly a cracker of a route. I think the raid version will make a significant difference to the experience if you aren't at the fast end of Audax. Sunrise 5am, sunset 10pm; plenty of opportunity for riding it entirely in daylight if you are up and away early enough each day.  Three to four hours less riding your bike per day, compared to the "classic". Opportunity to adjust how far you ride each day , as long as min average distance / speed met. It'll all add up to reduce how much abuse you give your body day after day.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #79 on: 06 September, 2019, 09:48:40 pm »
It's certainly a cracker of a route. I think the raid version will make a significant difference to the experience if you aren't at the fast end of Audax. Sunrise 5am, sunset 10pm; plenty of opportunity for riding it entirely in daylight if you are up and away early enough each day.  Three to four hours less riding your bike per day, compared to the "classic". Opportunity to adjust how far you ride each day , as long as min average distance / speed met. It'll all add up to reduce how much abuse you give your body day after day.
17 hours of daylight seems like enough even for riding 300km a day, because if it isn't the sleep deprivation will be brutal.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #80 on: 06 September, 2019, 11:26:33 pm »
17 hours of daylight seems like enough even for riding 300km a day, because if it isn't the sleep deprivation will be brutal.

From what I remember, certainly in Kerry the roads on the coastal loops are nadgery.

Phil W

« Reply #81 on: 06 September, 2019, 11:38:15 pm »

Eamon, in 16, warned us to treat 300 as though it was 400 on WAWA. It was wise advice.

The road surfaces can make British roads seem smooth. Not potholes just rough surfaces on the smaller roads. My GPS mount broke on day 3 due to vibration. Though Ring of Kerry (day 2) with EU money has nice surfaces. Fit as wide a tyre as you can within reason, and as low a pressure as you also see fit.
Nadgery as above
The winds can be brutal riding out on the headlands.  Think Dutch hills combined with real coastal hills.

On Sunday I'll post a couple of short videos I took of the winds on WAWA 16. 

« Reply #82 on: 07 September, 2019, 05:05:08 pm »
Rode  last time, did no night riding and had time to vist many pubs :hand:

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #83 on: 07 September, 2019, 08:42:12 pm »

I'm slower than you.  :thumbsup:

Phil W

« Reply #84 on: 07 September, 2019, 09:51:08 pm »

You did. We only occasionally overlapped because I was sleeping less. I think in Ballina you were up and eating after a good sleep whilst I was eating after a shower and yet to sleep. I did sleep and there's a photo of my bike being the only remaining one outside the control at about 8am. I was far from the last rider on the road, but the only one in the control at that point.

I had messed up the Achil Island loop and the extra time whilst I went back out to do the second part of the loop didn't help in getting me to Ballina at a reasonable hour. My GPS tracks will be split this time around, where they cross over each other.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #85 on: 07 September, 2019, 10:04:03 pm »
Postie, you are a bit stronger/ faster than the average audaxer, so an average audaxer will be riding in the dark more than you and sleeping less.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Phil W

« Reply #86 on: 09 September, 2019, 10:18:33 am »
Weather

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/CjJf1Dv0RQw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/CjJf1Dv0RQw</a>

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/d9P3rCfGjE4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/d9P3rCfGjE4</a>

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/524WqyXxN54" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/524WqyXxN54</a>

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/tY2j0X9Z7dY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/tY2j0X9Z7dY</a>

« Reply #87 on: 09 September, 2019, 10:44:56 am »
absolutely true, and good advice, almost all road surfaces on the WAW will be very rough, think northern Scotland, as they are mainly tar and chip / chips sealed minor roads so that traffic is minimised. only very short sections will be good quality and smooth; they almost seem like 'teases' and dont last very long.
some tips to cope;
very good seat pads in bibs, is essential.
double wrapped bar tape is essential.
unless you want to try 'win' the thing, id go for reliable strong wheels rather than the lightest wheels;
id avoid deep section wheels also due to weight and wind buffetting on the exposed coastal roads (~75% of WAW!!!).
pair the wheels with 25 or even 28mm tyres, a bit of kevlar protection is probably well advised also
damper on seat post would be advantageous, canyon used to use a split seat post on their endurace and early ultimate models from ~2016 they claimed was very good
tightening bolts, screws etc every couple days, those roads will loosen anything, even thread locked bolts find a way of coming undone!

Eamon, in 16, warned us to treat 300 as though it was 400 on WAWA. It was wise advice.

The road surfaces can make British roads seem smooth. Not potholes just rough surfaces on the smaller roads. My GPS mount broke on day 3 due to vibration. Though Ring of Kerry (day 2) with EU money has nice surfaces. Fit as wide a tyre as you can within reason, and as low a pressure as you also see fit.
Nadgery as above
The winds can be brutal riding out on the headlands.  Think Dutch hills combined with real coastal hills.

On Sunday I'll post a couple of short videos I took of the winds on WAWA 16.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #88 on: 09 September, 2019, 01:11:16 pm »
absolutely true, and good advice, almost all road surfaces on the WAW will be very rough, think northern Scotland,

You do know that the roads in the north of scotland due to ERDF funding and low density are often better than the rest of scotland?

« Reply #89 on: 09 September, 2019, 01:33:48 pm »
absolutely true, and good advice, almost all road surfaces on the WAW will be very rough, think northern Scotland,

You do know that the roads in the north of scotland due to ERDF funding and low density are often better than the rest of scotland?

i stand corrected!

« Reply #90 on: 09 September, 2019, 01:34:03 pm »

Now you have the cat out of the bag they will be full of traffic

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #91 on: 09 September, 2019, 02:25:49 pm »

Now you have the cat out of the bag they will be full of traffic

If only they weren't so bloody far away!

RideHard

• The London Grimpeur
  • ACH Organiser
    • Steam Rides & Chiltern Grimpeurs
« Reply #92 on: 18 September, 2019, 10:58:50 am »
I've expressed interest, depending upon the date
Ditto, heard it's an awesome ride from Club mates :thumbsup:
ACH SR: Dean 300; Steam Ride LOL 200; Quainton Express 100; University Challenge 600; London Circuit 400; C2C; Hadrian's Wall; Chiltern Pub Crawl; White Hart.   2022 AUK: ACH SR; Wessex SR; LEL; LeJog

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #93 on: 18 September, 2019, 09:27:10 pm »
On the previous subtopic of the LRM regs

Updated constitution and regulations are on their website
http://www.randonneursmondiaux.org/files/Constitution_and_Rules_2019.pdf

« Reply #94 on: 19 September, 2019, 08:51:08 am »
On the previous subtopic of the LRM regs

Updated constitution and regulations are on their website
http://www.randonneursmondiaux.org/files/Constitution_and_Rules_2019.pdf

Appears to be in draft, numbering could be improved for considency. See section 1.4.

Phil W

« Reply #95 on: 19 September, 2019, 05:48:54 pm »
From talking with Eamon

It looks like he's planning 4 sleep halls / controls along the route for the raid riders. They also look to be spread over alternate days.  So sleep control, sort yourself out, sleep control. I think that'll work quite well and allow riders to synchronise their riding to daylight and / or have later starts and grab cooked breakfast on their in between B&B days.

All unofficial of course till things are formally announced. That's likely late Oct / early Nov before entries open.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #96 on: 20 September, 2019, 09:51:51 am »
Just curious, is wild camping allowed in Ireland, like in Scotland? If those sleep halls offer a shower it would make a nice combo of comfort and sleeping rough.

Phil W

« Reply #97 on: 20 September, 2019, 10:04:18 am »
Just curious, is wild camping allowed in Ireland, like in Scotland? If those sleep halls offer a shower it would make a nice combo of comfort and sleeping rough.

A number of the Transatlantic Way Race riders bivvy along the route without issue.  You're unlikely to be disturbed if you are discrete / out of site / leave no trace.  Many of the places you pass through are quite remote.     But if I was taking lightweight camp gear as opposed to bivvy then I'd probably plan to use the campsites.  Plenty of campsites along / near the route.  Take a midge head net if you are doing that.

The sleep halls usually had shower facilities in 2016. 

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #98 on: 18 October, 2019, 01:29:03 pm »
This is confusing me a bit "The second option will be a raid, in the same vein as the raid Corsica and raid Pyrenees.  This option will allow for days of approx 220 km each with the same facilities and rules as the audax."

Is that just an obtuse way of saying it's a 10kmh paced Randonee?
Or that there will be set days?

What I really mean to ask is; if I spot a day where I reckon I can do 300km rather than 220km is there anything to stop me attempting that?

« Reply #99 on: 18 October, 2019, 03:12:17 pm »
From LRM Rules:
1.5 Rule:
"The distance of the course will be determined by the shortest distance between controls capable of being cycled safely on road. The time limits will be calculated by dividing this distance by the overall minimum [] average speeds applicable."
1.3 Rule "Overall average minimum speeds for events shall be as follows
1.3.3 For events from 1900 to 2499 km: 10 kph"
So riding an average of 240km will get a rider LRM randonneur homologation, I guess, called a 'raid' or whatever.