Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1109510 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #1200 on: 20 February, 2009, 08:21:49 pm »
As some of you know, JC has a friend staying over for a couple of days.  It has been an interesting, tiring and thought provoking time.  Much fun has been had and one young boy is growing up fast.  JC has never been out alone, for various reasons.  Today was his first time out with his friend, just to the lake and the farm for lunch.  It was a little nerve wracking for me at times but I am so proud of him.  Yes he fell over quite a lot but he is so happy.

Unfortunately he can barely walk now.  Assisted to get up the stairs, dragging his right leg behind him.  Tomorrow will be a wheelchair day for him.

Great news for JC! Well done him!

If he were his mother, after a day like this he'd complain about the pain, solicit all kinds of good advice from friendly forummers and then go for a 40-mile high-speed hilly bike ride.  ;) :-*
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

annie

« Reply #1201 on: 20 February, 2009, 08:59:07 pm »
As some of you know, JC has a friend staying over for a couple of days.  It has been an interesting, tiring and thought provoking time.  Much fun has been had and one young boy is growing up fast.  JC has never been out alone, for various reasons.  Today was his first time out with his friend, just to the lake and the farm for lunch.  It was a little nerve wracking for me at times but I am so proud of him.  Yes he fell over quite a lot but he is so happy.

Unfortunately he can barely walk now.  Assisted to get up the stairs, dragging his right leg behind him.  Tomorrow will be a wheelchair day for him.

Great news for JC! Well done him!

If he were his mother, after a day like this he'd complain about the pain, solicit all kinds of good advice from friendly forummers and then go for a 40-mile high-speed hilly bike ride.  ;) :-*

:)

I lifted him into bed.  Poor lad said he felt very sick.  Doesn't know when to stop ::-)

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #1202 on: 20 February, 2009, 09:01:12 pm »
Advena ego sum in Terra

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #1203 on: 25 February, 2009, 02:35:32 pm »
The wheels for my Peregrine are being built today! The bike will be built up next week :thumbsup:

« Reply #1204 on: 26 February, 2009, 07:42:02 pm »
We just got back from ogling bike p*rn with the lovely people at Brixton Cycles. Long Haul Truckers are the order of the day. I have my eye on a gorgeous deep red ickle 46cm LHT, and they're ordering in a massive 60cm one for Woolly to try.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #1205 on: 26 February, 2009, 07:45:59 pm »
Most excellent  :)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1206 on: 26 February, 2009, 10:57:49 pm »
I've just become an uncle for the tenth time!

Strange but true facts. Of my parents three sons, our first child has been a girl, and all three have been born outside of the UK, but in different countries. My parents haven't moved from the house we were brought up in.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #1207 on: 27 February, 2009, 10:04:39 am »
I had a great extended commute this morning.

I made it up the nightmare hill in one go without stopping! For the first time! Woo hoo!  ;D

I also watched my Odometer tick over to 1000 miles. 1000 miles on this bike. Yey!  :D

annie

« Reply #1208 on: 27 February, 2009, 10:06:05 am »
Congratulations David and Hulver :thumbsup:

My good news.  The sun is peeping through the clouds.  I have a big bowl of food in front of me and a bath waiting.

« Reply #1209 on: 27 February, 2009, 12:08:01 pm »
I'm going on holiday tomorrow!!  A week in cumbria. 

It'd better bloody rain - be an awful shame to waste the time walking when there are all those lovely pubs... ;D

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1210 on: 28 February, 2009, 04:00:12 pm »
I've just been on a big bike ride (well, not big in the sense of distance, but big in numbers of people) with some friends old and new, and... I was on my new bike! Yeay, I now have 2 bikes (actually, 3 and some bits, but 2 here to ride)! And it's so light and the brakes work strong and smooth and I feel so fast on it and oooooooooooh!
Tis a Merida TFS100 btw.  And so different from my Hero Hawk!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1211 on: 01 March, 2009, 01:30:39 pm »
I managed to book train tickets for us to go to Glasgow and back for £36. Probably marginally cheaper, don't have to leave the car anywhere dodgy, and mucho green karma too! :)

Plus it means we can take advantage of the Clockwork brewpub twice instead of once. :P
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #1212 on: 01 March, 2009, 06:25:24 pm »
I've bought me a bike frame and I'm going to build me a bike.  I haven't the faintest idea what I'm doing.   ;D  I'm going to need lots of help off you lot    :thumbsup:

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #1213 on: 01 March, 2009, 06:35:25 pm »
If I can do it then I'm sure you can. Help from these pages was invaluable but it really wasn't that difficult to do. Just be careful with the allen key as you begin to tighten the very first bolt. You will find that if you drop it, it will chip the paint of your lovely new frame before you have attached the first component.  ::-)

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #1214 on: 01 March, 2009, 06:40:02 pm »
Mrs. TKP is back from her girlie weekend and I am looking forward to our Sunday roast together. It's nice to have a weekend to myself now and again but it's even nicer to have her back again.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1215 on: 01 March, 2009, 07:05:25 pm »
If I can do it then I'm sure you can.

Really?  I don't share your optimism but I need to know more about the inner workings of bikes so it will be an interesting, but no doubt expensive, experience!

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #1216 on: 01 March, 2009, 09:51:58 pm »
I spent most of February in deep doldrum land and, although I wanted to cycle, I actually couldn't do it and covered a measly 16 miles in the whole of the month!
"New Month, New Start" came today. I got my lardy bits up and out on the bike with Brother Dave.  Only did about 12 miles and the pain wasn't nice but I got home feeling that I have broken the ice and am on the long and winding back to doing something that I love.
I'm actually hoping that the weather is okay tomorrow so I can ride to the Hospital for some X-rays rather than Taxi.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #1217 on: 01 March, 2009, 10:03:38 pm »
Well done, PD! :)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #1218 on: 02 March, 2009, 12:15:50 am »

Really?  I don't share your optimism but I need to know more about the inner workings of bikes so it will be an interesting, but no doubt expensive, experience!

It's vitally important to ensure that you have plenty of beer before you start fettling. About 6 pints of Abbott should do the trick... :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1219 on: 02 March, 2009, 05:09:12 am »

It's vitally important to ensure that you have plenty of beer before you start fettling. About 6 pints of Abbott should do the trick... :thumbsup:

Adjacent to my bike fettling facility is my executive suite (both cunningly situated in the garage).  In my executive suite is a fridge, in the fridge is beer.  There is plenty of room outside the fridge for beers that should be served at room temperature.  The drinking aspect of fettling is not a concern to me!  However, I reserve drinkng 6 pints for special occasions  ;)

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #1220 on: 02 March, 2009, 04:04:22 pm »
Daughter number one has got into our school of choice, without us having to go to appeal (which we were preparing for, as the school is in a different district to us)
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #1221 on: 02 March, 2009, 04:09:47 pm »

Bah! I've done it twice (though I had help fitting the bottom brackets), & I'm useless at bike maintenance.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

alan

« Reply #1222 on: 08 March, 2009, 04:08:54 pm »
Marj is baking a cake :thumbsup:
Here endeth the weight loss progress ::-)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #1223 on: 08 March, 2009, 09:59:15 pm »
My son just phoned to say that this evening he won £120 playing on-line poker.

« Reply #1224 on: 12 March, 2009, 05:03:45 pm »
4 As! :) :) :)