Author Topic: Resolution 2  (Read 16395 times)

Re: Resolution 2
« Reply #150 on: 20 February, 2023, 12:14:10 pm »
So it passed then !!  :facepalm:

Starts from the 1st of November '23 according to the Official Audax Forum.
Old Enough to know better, young enough not to care.
Facebook, the toilet wall of the modern generation

« Reply #151 on: 20 February, 2023, 01:11:52 pm »
So it passed then !!  :facepalm:

Starts from the 1st of November '23 according to the Official Audax Forum.

There's a lot of work to do behind the scenes to ensure points add up and display correctly.

I'll still be concentrating my attention on events of 200k+.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #152 on: 20 February, 2023, 01:39:41 pm »
I’ll flip it for you. There is a bunch of local hard core high flying randonneurs who never enter my local BP essentially because there is nothing in it for them…

Also a compelling argument.

Only compelling if you accept the unproven assumption that 0.5pts will be enough of a reward to motivate them to enter a ride they’ve previously shown no interest in.

My hunch is that there are other more compelling reasons for them not entering.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

felstedrider

« Reply #153 on: 20 February, 2023, 01:52:20 pm »
It has been pointed out to me that my commute is 60 odd k each way and I do it twice a week.   I could register it as 4 * 50k rides and score 2 points a week.   I'm not sure if a) it's in the spirit of the thing, b) it's not trifle expensive) or c) I can be arsed.

« Reply #154 on: 20 February, 2023, 02:08:36 pm »
I suppose it depends whether people are interested in long-distance cycling or just collecting points.  I ride BPs during the year, as social events or for a nice route.  I'm half-tempted to not hand my card in for future ones, but that might upset hard-working organisers.

Anyone want to support a proposal to abolish the points championships next year?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #155 on: 20 February, 2023, 02:17:45 pm »
*raises hand*
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

felstedrider

« Reply #156 on: 20 February, 2023, 02:29:35 pm »
I suppose it depends whether people are interested in long-distance cycling or just collecting points.  I ride BPs during the year, as social events or for a nice route.  I'm half-tempted to not hand my card in for future ones, but that might upset hard-working organisers.

Anyone want to support a proposal to abolish the points championships next year?

I was at an AGM one year when that was raised but I'm not sure if it was official or not.   Pretty sure you were there.

It might have been Peter Hansen or maybe Bry.

« Reply #157 on: 20 February, 2023, 02:45:11 pm »

I was at an AGM one year when that was raised but I'm not sure if it was official or not.   Pretty sure you were there.

It might have been Peter Hansen or maybe Bry.

I've forgotten who it was - in fact I think it might have been proposed more than once.  Jim Hopper was always in favour.  You'd need some clear & cogent arguments to have any chance of getting it passed.

citoyen

« Reply #158 on: 20 February, 2023, 02:53:03 pm »

I would vote for that. It has always seemed slightly at odds with the supposedly non-competitive nature of audax.

Keep the medals though. Many people* are motivated by the shiny.

*I assume, though I’m not one of them

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #159 on: 20 February, 2023, 02:56:10 pm »
HK and I are always in favour of awards (collected by everybody who reaches the standard) and against championships (a winner beating the field that year).
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #160 on: 20 February, 2023, 03:54:02 pm »
It has been pointed out to me that my commute is 60 odd k each way and I do it twice a week.   I could register it as 4 * 50k rides and score 2 points a week.   I'm not sure if a) it's in the spirit of the thing, b) it's not trifle expensive) or c) I can be arsed.
I think the £12 a week is enough of a deterrent. Until you are close to the threshold for something - 100 points a season, leading the points champs etc etc

I don't see why riding 60km to work (and back the same day, carrying whatever you need to take with you) is any less audacious than riding a 100km BP event.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #161 on: 20 February, 2023, 05:28:10 pm »
I thought that I should find out what was in Resolution 2. So off to the Audax.uk website to find the link to the forum. After looking in all menu options and not finding the link, I eventually find the link at the bottom of the homepage, under useful links. Clicking on it gets me to a fatal error. I think I shall remain in ignorance …

MOD: Coding error text removed

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #162 on: 20 February, 2023, 05:32:52 pm »
It's not clever to parrot stuff like that on a public forum.  :hand:
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #163 on: 20 February, 2023, 05:34:12 pm »
And the answer is in the OP anyway?

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #164 on: 20 February, 2023, 05:59:32 pm »
Exposing such errors rather than hiding them makes them fairly available anyway, can even pop up in the way back machine.

« Reply #165 on: 20 February, 2023, 06:06:32 pm »
It’s been best practice (and the default) to not print raw PHP error messages to the web almost as long as it’s been best practice not to use PHP.

I guess we can’t complain when someone is working for free rather than being paid professional rates.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #166 on: 20 February, 2023, 06:16:05 pm »

I would vote for that. It has always seemed slightly at odds with the supposedly non-competitive nature of audax.

HK and I are always in favour of awards (collected by everybody who reaches the standard) and against championships (a winner beating the field that year).

Seems to me that championships are primarily for the benefit of organisers, as they encourage people to enter more events.

The number of people who stand to actually win something (be it through athletic prowess or application of Copious Free Time) are, inevitably, tiny.  It may be motivational for a lot more, but that's difficult to measure.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #167 on: 20 February, 2023, 06:42:54 pm »
I don't think the individual points championship is a serious motivation to more than a dozen people each year. Club championships might motivate entire clubs, but only certain clubs. But the existence of points motivates many more, whether it's to gain certain awards, achieve personal goals, or just some nebulous belongingness. It would surely be possible to award points for those who want to keep tally but not publish an official list or ranking, and award shiny badgers to all who qualify (if they want them). But half a point is just odd. If points for 50km are really wanted, just start a new points system from next year with 1 point for 50km, 2 for 100, etc.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #168 on: 20 February, 2023, 06:48:40 pm »
The top end of the points competition is always dominated by people who’ve done lots of DIYs, so it’s mostly a free time competition.

If I had my druthers it would be an 100% calendar event leaderboard, but people on here will likely complain that would unfairly favour people who’ve chosen not to live in the middle of nowhere.

citoyen

« Reply #169 on: 20 February, 2023, 07:13:21 pm »
But the existence of points motivates many more

Does it though? I'm really struggling with this idea.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #170 on: 20 February, 2023, 07:31:36 pm »
Plenty of people seem to be motivated by the idea of reaching a points goal, whether it's a personal goal like one more for the season than last year or an official one like enough over a lifetime for a particular award.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #171 on: 20 February, 2023, 08:18:43 pm »
I'd suggest that if the points didn't exist, the total distance ridden figure would serve the same function.  But I think we've already covered this.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #172 on: 20 February, 2023, 08:38:06 pm »
The top end of the points competition is always dominated by people who’ve done lots of DIYs, so it’s mostly a free time competition.

If I had my druthers it would be an 100% calendar event leaderboard, but people on here will likely complain that would unfairly favour people who’ve chosen not to live in the middle of nowhere.
I'd say it would disadvantage the rrty crew. I'd need to arrange a challenger to the full fat festive 500 in Fife and Strathmore for the points baggers up here.

Sent from my IV2201 using Tapatalk

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #173 on: 20 February, 2023, 08:40:04 pm »
I can imagine that some people aiming for 100 points wouldn't care to aim for 10,000km, because a lot of audaxers are nerdy like that. But some would care the other way round.

In a way the points serve(d) to disintermediate distance and achievement. If your shiny badge or name in lights is explicitly for riding 10,000km rather than gaining 100 points, then it no longer makes sense to exclude shorter audaxes. It even becomes questionable to exclude non-audax riding. At which point you're left with the mile eater diary.

At some point there needs to be some cycling for cycling's sake, just like the Premier League at some level has to connect with 8 year old boys using jumpers for goalposts. Unless the shiny badgers have run off in those jumpers.

« Reply #174 on: 20 February, 2023, 09:58:13 pm »