Author Topic: Round the world record attempts 2024  (Read 5974 times)

alfapete

• Oh dear
Re: Round the world record attempts 2024
« Reply #25 on: 05 June, 2024, 11:55:29 am »
It's not even a race but I still get hooked into checking every hour or so when I'm at the PC.
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #26 on: 05 June, 2024, 10:55:55 pm »
It's not even a race but I still get hooked into checking every hour or so when I'm at the PC.

I'm currently checking daily. But will start following closer when she nears where I am.

Looks like she's made it to France.

Wish there was.a way to make the tracker use sensible units...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #27 on: 06 June, 2024, 07:30:53 am »
Wish there was.a way to make the tracker use sensible units...

The developer is a Dutch guy living in France and other events are in km so I assume that this is Lael's influence.

I suggest you drop FMC a message - they were very responsive when I pointed out an issue on the TCR coverage.

« Reply #28 on: 07 June, 2024, 09:39:15 am »
Teethgrinder posted above, but just found her daily podcasts.

« Reply #29 on: 08 June, 2024, 09:03:50 pm »
Through Paris and on her way to Belgium

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #30 on: 10 June, 2024, 05:41:22 pm »
She's in Amsterdam today.

I met her at the Ferry to central station and rode with her as far as Bilderdijkstraat. Which is about as far as I can go at her speed.

She had quite a pelaton of fans.

Weather is atrocious. I'm utterly soaked. I'm hoping she's drier than I am. She should have a tail wind for the rest of the day.

J
--

« Reply #31 on: 12 June, 2024, 04:24:07 pm »
Nice one QG.
Just checked in and she's already trucking into S Germany after coming down the Rhine. Wow.
Incidentally one of my buddies is on a Rhine tour and has had to circumnavigate the bike paths with all the flooding. I saw some photos and it's really extensive.

often lost.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #32 on: 12 June, 2024, 04:49:54 pm »
An Aussie friend and I trundled between Strasbourg and Frankfurt (or thereabouts) along the Rhine last week and the flooding there was annoying but not too troublesome most of the time.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #33 on: 13 June, 2024, 06:25:48 pm »

Am I reading this map right? Is she going over the Stelvio?

J
--

« Reply #34 on: 13 June, 2024, 07:06:14 pm »
Yes, may as well make most of scenery whilst she’s in Europe.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #35 on: 13 June, 2024, 07:26:12 pm »
Yes, may as well make most of scenery whilst she’s in Europe.

Yes and no. Is it not a gratuitously hard climb when on a challenge like this you'd think minimising steep hard climbs would be beneficial...

J
--

« Reply #36 on: 13 June, 2024, 08:48:09 pm »
It's not especially taxing in that direction. I'd be more concerned about some of the route in Montenegro.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #37 on: 14 June, 2024, 10:38:40 am »

Am I reading this map right? Is she going over the Stelvio?

J

That was the plan but she has had to route around as it's not passable. She's doing a daily podcast "Lael Rides Around The World" which gives a lot more insight into whats happening.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #38 on: 14 June, 2024, 03:46:21 pm »
It's not especially taxing in that direction. I'd be more concerned about some of the route in Montenegro.

Looks like she's doing he TCR parcour... It's an interesting choice...

That was the plan but she has had to route around as it's not passable. She's doing a daily podcast "Lael Rides Around The World" which gives a lot more insight into whats happening.

Just saw the post about this. Stelvio closed due to snow. I wonder how much extra distance she's adding.

J
--

« Reply #39 on: 17 June, 2024, 03:50:59 pm »
She might struggle in Turkey which is also suffering from the 40C+ deadly heatwave affecting Greece, Cyprus etc.

« Reply #40 on: 17 June, 2024, 08:21:19 pm »
See toontra's post in the Mosley thread — cycling in that sort of heat is surprisingly fine, as long as you drink a lot of water. Moving through the air at 20+ km/h allows good evaporation, which you don't get if you are at walking speed.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #41 on: 17 June, 2024, 08:37:55 pm »
See toontra's post in the Mosley thread — cycling in that sort of heat is surprisingly fine, as long as you drink a lot of water. Moving through the air at 20+ km/h allows good evaporation, which you don't get if you are at walking speed.

Which is great until you hit a hill and slow down.

But else I agree with your point. Have done 35°+ rides with no issues as long as I kept moving. traffic lights were deeply unpleasant.

J
--

« Reply #42 on: 17 June, 2024, 08:51:50 pm »

Which is great until you hit a hill and slow down.

True, but there are still two things in your favour: hot air rising tends to give a tailwind up the mountain, and even fairly moderate elevations, 1000 m or so, will be much cooler.

Ah, you said hill. Your point stands.

« Reply #43 on: 18 June, 2024, 09:48:36 am »

It’s not okay for me cycling in that heat if it’s humid (which reduces evaporative cooling).  Once I’ve ended up in hospital with heat exhaustion and a (later) second time I had to stop a long ride when I recognised I was heading that way.  I’m certainly not one who deals well being out in the heat for long periods whilst on a bike.

I’m much more wary of pushing on in the heat than I used to be. I’ve now seen how quickly I can go from just a bit of fatigue in the heat to exhaustion if I keep going.

We do cope differently in the heat depending on genetics. Maybe she’ll be okay. But I wouldn’t dismiss a heatwave as being okay because you’re cycling.

« Reply #44 on: 18 June, 2024, 10:53:24 am »
Lael is probably better able to cope with extreme temperatures than most - brought up in Anchorage and living in Tucson.  She also has vast experience of endurance races like Tour Divide although I seem to remember she was suffering towards the end of it last year.

« Reply #45 on: 18 June, 2024, 11:06:52 am »
Lael is probably better able to cope with extreme temperatures than most - brought up in Anchorage and living in Tucson.  She also has vast experience of endurance races like Tour Divide although I seem to remember she was suffering towards the end of it last year.

Well Anchorage certainly would not help with heat exposure! But Tuscon certainly nice and hot. Still going to depend on genetics. Plus let face it, most citizens who live in hot places, take siestas in middle of day for a reason.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #46 on: 23 June, 2024, 01:48:12 am »

She's made it to Turkey already. Just over 1700km of the European leg remains. She's doing great. I'm not sure she's gonna achieve 110day target tho.

J
--

« Reply #47 on: 23 June, 2024, 06:58:38 pm »
Quite a way off the planned route

« Reply #48 on: 23 June, 2024, 07:12:38 pm »
It is a reroute to avoid the busy bits of Istanbul: https://www.komoot.com/tour/1665339373

« Reply #49 on: 24 June, 2024, 08:48:51 am »
That doesn’t work unless a Komoot user