Author Topic: PBP Fixed gear advice  (Read 11505 times)

PBP Fixed gear advice
« on: 05 May, 2015, 07:26:52 am »
Hi. I am planning to ride PBP fixed and was looking for advice on what gearing people have used previously. I normally ride a 63 inch riding in hilly SW England Dorset and Somerset (and even this is probably too low and silly on flats/descents). I rode PBP last time with gears and from recollection it's not as steep and the hills are long shallow climbs particularly in Normandy. Therefore I am thinking of going for a 75 inch or so. Any thoughts, experiences anyone?

red marley

Re: PBP Fixed gear advice
« Reply #1 on: 05 May, 2015, 07:42:31 am »
On the two occasions I have ridden PBP (both fixed), I used about 74" (48x17) which felt about right (no walking, could keep up with pelotons on gears on the flat). For calibration, that is the same gear I'd use for a gently rolling terrain on a UK audax.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #2 on: 05 May, 2015, 08:33:56 am »
Interesting stuff.

I am considering gearing up (I ride 67), so I can handle the peletons and cruising at 30-35kph becomes a little less spinny.

But, being a very little rider, I have never been able to manhandle a bike up anything much with a larger gear (and certainly, at the end of this weekend's 400, even 67 felt tall!).

I might go with 71-72 (I have 67/76 on the bike currently).

I suspect I better give it a go on a 600 with the option to flip back to 67. Might have to order a new cog.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

rob

« Reply #3 on: 05 May, 2015, 08:38:37 am »
I used 70" last time. which was a bit too spinny for the long descents.   Managed all the climbs fine.

I'm using 79" this time, but have been using that gear since October for everything in order to get used to it.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: 05 May, 2015, 08:42:12 am »
I'll be on 71" [47x18], probably...

Last time I had a double-fixed 65"/71" on 'Poppy' and turned the wheel round at Loudeac for the lower gear, because I could, and left it like that. But then 2007 was very windy and wet - whispers: it can't be that bad again can it??

New fixie 'Bernardette', is surprisingly modern for me with disc brakes n'all, so single sided fixed, though I could dispense with the rear brake and run a Velo Solo bolt-on cog as well?

Chris N

« Reply #5 on: 05 May, 2015, 08:48:40 am »
I typically ride a smaller gear (63-67") and went up to 74" (44/16 with 17T on the other side just in case) for 2011.  No real issues with any of the hills, as far as I can remember.

« Reply #6 on: 05 May, 2015, 05:13:09 pm »
Spot on chaps, just the feedback I was looking for. Looks like I need to choose between 71. & 76, as my cog options allow. And to try them out before I get to France!

simonp

« Reply #7 on: 05 May, 2015, 05:29:44 pm »
In 2011, I rode my qualifiers (Shaftesbury Spring 200k, Elenith 300k, Brevet Cymru, Bryan Chapman) on 67" and rode PBP on 69".

I can spin down hills pretty well so didn't feel too under-geared. On the Brevet Cymru at the weekend, I was comfortably able to maintain 50-55kph downhill, and got up everything, on 65". Many of the riders who recommend bigger gears don't seem to be as good at spinning. However, as I've put my name down for the Vedettes this time, I'll probably gear up to 74", with the option of turning the wheel round to 69" if it looks like a tough headwind is in store.

FWIW, I rode LEL 2013 on a mixure of 69" and 65". Either would have been fine for the whole ride, though probably 69" would have been a better overall choice with the long flat stages.

« Reply #8 on: 05 May, 2015, 05:58:01 pm »
I rode 67" (43x17) in 1999. Probably use the same again but on a nicer bike. Me being older it'll feel higher.

« Reply #9 on: 05 May, 2015, 06:02:15 pm »
I'll drag this out again in case it's useful, or amuses you.

http://www.randonneurs.bc.ca/pbp/stories/99_Ian_Hennessey.html

rob

« Reply #10 on: 05 May, 2015, 08:00:44 pm »
Bear in mind it's not just being able to spin.   It's being able to spin after 4 days on the bike when your arse/hands/Achilles tendons are giving you grief.   My plan for the bigger gear is to make the later days more comfortable than they were last time.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #11 on: 18 May, 2015, 07:40:44 pm »
71" being tried out now.  Much easier down the local hills and I've already knocked several seconds off PBs on a couple of local climbs - it's now a question of what I can haul it up and whether my tired legs will cope with it. 

So, I will keep the 67" on the other side and flip if my legs can't hack it on WCW.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #12 on: 18 May, 2015, 08:30:33 pm »
found my post from four years ago:

my lowest gear was 33" (42x34) and i used it quite a few times. if riding fixed i would be happy using 75" (48x17) gear on that route.. tri bars would be really handy on those gently rolling stretches.

i still think mid-seventy is the right gear for pbp if travelling light

« Reply #13 on: 20 May, 2015, 11:56:07 am »
I have been giving serious consideration to riding this fixed but after recently completing a fairly benign 400 I had very tired legs from spinning out downhill (admittedly after too long a lay off and with slightly too small a gear) and was beginning to give up on the idea. However, this kind of chat is stirring the blood. It's clear 71" is too small for me on the downhills and so a smaller sprocket is now in the post that will get me up to 75". Hopefully this will help. In the meantime keep your tales of derring do coming, as I need them for inspiration to stick with this plan.

On this subject, are any of you riding next weekend's Border Raider and, if so, are you going fixed?
Your next 1200's your best 1200.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14 on: 20 May, 2015, 02:40:35 pm »
I'll probably be on fixed for the Border Raid this year. I think I was on gears last year.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #15 on: 20 May, 2015, 04:25:19 pm »
I'll be on the Border Raid, but with gears!

« Reply #16 on: 25 May, 2015, 07:18:10 pm »
Hey everyone,

I wonder if my experience could give some food for thought, I've turned fixed last year and apart of Superrandonneur serie managed to ride two big rides - Tour Blanc Rando 600k in Alps and Alem Tejo 1000k around Portugal. Most of the time I used 79" and it worked fine in most cases including a week of touring in Switzerland with the tent, sleeping bag etc., when the route went via St Gottardo and couple of other passes. During brevet though after a fair amount of climbing on the way up to Col d'Iseran I've faced a gradient of 11-12 which was like a stone wall, but after switching to 65" managed to get through the rest of distance. For the Portugal, which was pretty hilly, but without serpantine, and 79" worked fine all the way - I try to avoid crazy spinning and when the road goes straight up and down on downhills I prefer to release the pedals. This season I've decided to go a bit father and went to 300k and 400k qualifiers with 89", which works much better when you go in the fast group and downhill, was pretty tough on hillclimbs after 200k, but still OK.
Anyway I think it's a question of phisiology, from my experience 79" is quite universal.

« Reply #17 on: 25 May, 2015, 07:20:08 pm »
BTW, does anybody know whether it's possible to get to PBP with the front brake only (or brakeless?)?

rob

« Reply #18 on: 25 May, 2015, 08:58:02 pm »
They check your brakes at the bike check IIRC.   Don't remember them counting but I did have 2.

Don't think you'll get away with brakeless, nor am I sure why you'd want to in large bunches.

79" went well for me yesterday at the end of a 600 so sticking to that.

« Reply #19 on: 25 May, 2015, 09:27:19 pm »
43x17: 67" approx. seemed about right for me.  I'm at a comfortable cadence between about 27 and 35k/hr. Max speed at the weekend was 48k/hr.

« Reply #20 on: 25 May, 2015, 10:09:01 pm »
They check your brakes at the bike check IIRC.   Don't remember them counting but I did have 2.

Don't think you'll get away with brakeless, nor am I sure why you'd want to in large bunches.

79" went well for me yesterday at the end of a 600 so sticking to that.

I know alright about bike check, but have no idea about counting as well, there's
a plenty of very old bikes, some of them probably have very bizarre brake systems,
in theory skidding is a way to brake as well :)

I'm not brave enough to go PBP brakeless, but I know the guy who made
200,300, 400, 600 using track bike, so just thinking if he could be able to get to PBP
without trying to attach brake some way.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #21 on: 25 May, 2015, 10:14:55 pm »
The fellow who did PBP on a track bike a few years ago had clip-on brakes, from memory.

The French appreciate history (several bike road regulations have exceptions for vintage bikes) but take a dim view of people extracting the urine. It'd be not much fun to run around the day before riding PBP trying fix another brake or two to your bike.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Chris N

« Reply #22 on: 25 May, 2015, 10:31:17 pm »
Plenty of front brake only setups from 2007 shown here at fixed gear gallery, including a very dodgy front brake:

« Reply #23 on: 25 May, 2015, 11:27:00 pm »
Plenty of front brake only setups from 2007 shown here at fixed gear gallery,
Thanks for sharing, I hope they haven't changed regulations since then. This one looks intriguing - one brake and two brake levers (for extra efficiency?):

simonp

« Reply #24 on: 25 May, 2015, 11:46:25 pm »
I'd take two brakes out of habit.

I discovered yesterday I can now leg brake quite effectively. Squats at the gym did that, I think. But I'd not trust that on a hill.