Author Topic: Durness Duress  (Read 6967 times)

Really Ancien

Durness Duress
« on: 25 April, 2008, 04:39:43 pm »
What's the route?

Damon.

Re: Durness Duress
« Reply #1 on: 25 April, 2008, 07:57:04 pm »
Strangely enough, I have just this very evening e-mailed Steve to enquire as to the route.  I am venturing into the far flung environs of Caithness and Sutherland in July and plan on riding a few perms and do not want to replicate the route.  I shall let you know his response.

« Reply #2 on: 25 April, 2008, 11:42:53 pm »
Portmahomack-Tain-Ardgay-Bonar Bridge-Laxford-Durness-Tongue-Altnaharra-Crask-Bonar Bridge-Tain-Portmahomack.

So, Anti-clockwise...

I look forward to Struie in the morning, and Durness anytime!!!

This will be a stunning ride...one to be appreciated. 

« Reply #3 on: 26 April, 2008, 10:18:16 am »
Portmahomack-Tain-Ardgay-Bonar Bridge-Laxford-Durness-Tongue-Altnaharra-Crask-Bonar Bridge-Tain-Portmahomack.

So, Anti-clockwise...

Sounds like an excellent route - is it really heading over the Struie on the way out ?  ie Portmahomack - Tain - Struie - Ardgay ?

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #4 on: 26 April, 2008, 12:45:25 pm »
I just realised that 13 june is my wedding anniversary, so there is no way I'll get a pass to go gallivanting around Sutherland on my bike.  Pity, cos it looks like a great weekend.   

« Reply #5 on: 26 April, 2008, 05:57:31 pm »

So, Anti-clockwise...

Sounds like an excellent route - is it really heading over the Struie on the way out ?  ie Portmahomack - Tain - Struie - Ardgay ?

Oops.  Right enough.  No Struie if it goes to Tain - I was probably hoping too much that it would go over Struie. ;)

« Reply #6 on: 09 June, 2008, 06:05:09 pm »
Anyone got a sail I could borrow?  Judging by the forecast wind speed and direction (from the North and 30mph) it'll be a bit of a stuggle heading up to Durness... :-X

« Reply #7 on: 09 June, 2008, 09:07:16 pm »
This looks very much like the same route as one 230km audax a few years ago starting and fininishing in Ardgay without the southern bit.

That weekend was also middle of June with a biting north easterly, 7degrees before wind chill and rain.

Half the field packed at the first control, including us because Mrs Ernst's feed had frozen, it was a very nice 40 mile hurl home though ;D

Were going up to have another go, anyway look on the bright side, it can't be as bad as last time and if it's a 30mph north wind there wont be many midges ;)

« Reply #8 on: 10 June, 2008, 09:21:39 am »
From my "training diary" in 2004, this event was called Hudsons Choice as Stanley Hudson (not seen him for ages) always fancied this ride.  The great control mentioned below at Achfary is not on the plan this time, but pretty sure the others will be well up to scratch.

(actual riding time, 9:21) Awful weather. The majority of the field packed at 42miles into a 148mile ride. Blowing a gale and hammering with rain. Went pretty hard to 1st control, and got there early with 3 others. Great spread and heaters to put your gear on. Set off from the first control but couldn't get my feet clicked in. (overshoes in the way) When I did click in, I was 2 mins down and chasing. After about 40 mins I got on, exhausted and hung on the back for a while before dropping off at ~70miles (to prevent exhaustion!). From here I struggled to keep 11mph figures on the flat. We re-grouped at Durness. Then we had to ride along the top coast. Now add some very tough hills to the wind & rain, and I dropped off theback again in about 5miles. Used the granny to get up these hills before the wind turned and I flew into Tongue where we regrouped. (Almost caught Eric on this stage) Now a tailwind back home, but 3 tough climbs. At the start on the flat, I was ok but come the hills, dropped some & got dropped, leaving Ronnie & Gordon well out in front. Rode well now, with a tailwind. Some hot soup at the last control and then blasted it for the last 25miles. Finished in decent shape, great ride. Stunning scenery along the way - massive waves crashing against cliffs and stacks.

« Reply #9 on: 10 June, 2008, 11:35:56 pm »
From my "training diary" in 2004, this event was called Hudsons Choice as Stanley Hudson (not seen him for ages) always fancied this ride.  The great control mentioned below at Achfary is not on the plan this time, but pretty sure the others will be well up to scratch. 
Thanks for that extra info. from someone who got right round.....RESPECT

I met an ERC club mate who also got round, on a tandem with a blind, very inexperience stoker....Serious RESPECT

Interestingly Stan decided not to ride his event but then again it would only take a few spots of rain to put him off anyway ;)

I also remember a fantastic 3 course meal at the end control, all for only a fiver :thumbsup:

I take it we'll be seeing you there this weekend SG, will there be any other yACFrs??

« Reply #10 on: 10 June, 2008, 11:48:40 pm »
...will there be any other yACFrs??

neilmc and audave have informed me they will be there  :thumbsup:

Both riding the 300 on Saturday and the 200 on Sunday (when I shall be tucking into more food on the way home)

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #11 on: 10 June, 2008, 11:59:34 pm »
Interestingly Stan decided not to ride his event but then again it would only take a few spots of rain to put him off anyway ;)

Stan was famous for having the cleanest, sparkliest  bike in the peloton. He was once seen, on the Dulsie Dipper, carrying his immaculate Dura Ace equipped Longstaff over a puddle.   8)
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #12 on: 11 June, 2008, 12:58:11 am »
Yeah - I remember that tandem couple now you mention.
In fact, I do believe there is footage of the Hudsons Choiceon Damon's DVD, 2003 although I might be wrong.

The reason Stan carried his bike, is he did not want the insides of his mudguards getting dirty.

see you up there
Steve

« Reply #13 on: 14 June, 2008, 02:06:45 pm »
I made it 10.9km before I heard a "pssth pssth etc" sound, followed by a deflation.  On checking, I discovered a few inches of the beading had become detached from the rest of the tyre.  End of audax for me, and a very slow return back to base  :-X 

At least it happened close to base...

« Reply #14 on: 14 June, 2008, 11:08:21 pm »
I made it 10.9km before I heard a "pssth pssth etc" sound, followed by a deflation.  On checking, I discovered a few inches of the beading had become detached from the rest of the tyre.  End of audax for me, and a very slow return back to base  :-X 

Had you changed your tyres since the "Highest Village" ride's "issues" Mr. Noodley?  TBH although I've never ridden on them, I'm not impressed by Continental tyres - the only other "severe tyre damage incident" I've ever seen on an audax was on GlasgowDave's fairly new Continentals  :(   I don't care how good they are on the bike - this sort of unrecoverable failure would make me think that they're just unsuitable for audax riding.  I'll stick to Michelin.

RJMcB

« Reply #15 on: 14 June, 2008, 11:28:25 pm »
....this sort of unrecoverable failure would make me think that they're just unsuitable for audax riding. 

I have replaced with Armadillos.  My own fault for not checking properly - I had checked, but obviously not "properly".

Anyway, this cheered me up.  Whilst getting ready I went into the kitchen to find McNasty squeezing a bread bag on his head as he said he thought it was going to rain.  On removing it it became apparent he had not checked the bag was empty and there was a mass of crumbs adorning his hair.  I'm not sure if he still thought it was going to rain or whether he was fearful of the hovering seagulls, but he emerged for the start wearing his new headgear:

ernst is seen sniggering in the background  ;D

« Reply #16 on: 15 June, 2008, 09:18:18 pm »
Anyway, this cheered me up.  Whilst getting ready I went into the kitchen to find McNasty squeezing a bread bag on his head as he said he thought it was going to rain.  On removing it it became apparent he had not checked the bag was empty and there was a mass of crumbs adorning his hair.  I'm not sure if he still thought it was going to rain or whether he was fearful of the hovering seagulls, but he emerged for the start wearing his new headgear:

ernst is seen sniggering in the background  ;D

;D ;D ;D

That cracks me up.  McNasty is a true eccentric - he reminds me of my sadly missed Grandad who once filled a cavity in his own teeth with cataloy!   ;D

I see Mr McNasty has his "good" jacket on - purchased in 1973 and 20 years of wear left in it.  ;D

« Reply #17 on: 15 June, 2008, 09:22:23 pm »
I have replaced with Armadillos.  My own fault for not checking properly - I had checked, but obviously not "properly".

It was the Continentals that gave you bother in Portmahomack though?  You've changed to the Armadillo's since then?

« Reply #18 on: 15 June, 2008, 10:32:11 pm »
Can you imagine the mess it made of Georges' hair ?

The usual excellent fayre put on from The Carrolls.
A huge thanks to Steve and Denise.  The mungbean biryani was magic.

« Reply #19 on: 16 June, 2008, 01:13:28 pm »

The usual excellent fayre put on from The Carrolls.
A huge thanks to Steve and Denise.  The mungbean biryani was magic.
wot e said, plus the broth and crumble with custard hit the mark too ;D

Having got right round the top this time, first time on Tandem, I think we can put that skeleton to rest (Hudson's choice 2003)

It was harder than I remember round the coast from Laxford bridge to Tongue.
The last time round these parts being the 500km millenium ride for SR2000, A certain Organizer of the Snow Roads might remember this one ;)

Some things don't change and I can say with authority that the midge's at the first control, (Overscaig Hotel I think) were some of the worst I've experienced, even with a stiff NW wind they could still smell the defensless cyclists at the hotel entrance, thank goodness I had my legs covered :D

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #20 on: 16 June, 2008, 01:36:38 pm »

You need to stock up on tyre boots! http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360013014&N=Park%20Tools%20Emergency%20Tyre%20Boot%20Patch GlasgowDave had a similar problem on the Pitlochry ride and one of these patches saw him safely home to Kirrie from Kirkmichael.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

GlasgowDave

• Inside I'm smiling
    • Flickr Audax Group
« Reply #21 on: 16 June, 2008, 02:20:43 pm »
You need to stock up on tyre boots! http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360013014&N=Park%20Tools%20Emergency%20Tyre%20Boot%20Patch GlasgowDave had a similar problem on the Pitlochry ride and one of these patches saw him safely home to Kirrie from Kirkmichael.

After carrying one for 3 years, I had to give one away on the Twa Wee Coonties, then use one myself on the Pitlochry. Cheaper and easier than carrying a spare tyre too.

Highly recommended

Dave
it takes a special talent to miss out on the Midnight Madness by sleeping in...

Really Ancien

« Reply #22 on: 16 June, 2008, 04:17:53 pm »
Youtube film at <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/tnooAsfrjw4&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/tnooAsfrjw4&rel=1</a>
Vimeo Hi Def film uploading, the scenery is worth it.

Damon.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #23 on: 16 June, 2008, 04:41:02 pm »
Excellent, as always, Damon.

Is that Big Al Sutton at 3.20 in the Crask Inn?  All round Good Guy, haven't seen him since our paths crossed, literally, on LEL in 2005.
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Really Ancien

« Reply #24 on: 16 June, 2008, 04:47:28 pm »
It is indeed Al, he was out training for LEJOG with some Elgin CC club mates.They did the 200 on Sunday as well.

Damon.