Author Topic: Garboldisham Grovel.13th July  (Read 5081 times)

RogerT

• Playing with a big steamy thing
Garboldisham Grovel.13th July
« on: 06 July, 2008, 07:53:18 am »
Any one doing the 200/100/50 ?

I am registered for the 100.

annie

Re: Garboldisham Grovel.13th July
« Reply #1 on: 06 July, 2008, 08:14:35 am »
Any one doing the 200/100/50 ?

I am registered for the 100.

Hi Roger,

am down to do the 200 but will be back late on the Saturday from the Pie Run.  I could try to contact the organiser and ask if I can drop to the 100.

Annie

RogerT

« Reply #2 on: 06 July, 2008, 09:32:34 am »
You know you want to !

I have got the 100 route sheet that I could scan across to you.

PM me if you want Kens phone number.

annie

« Reply #3 on: 06 July, 2008, 09:55:00 am »
You know you want to !

I have got the 100 route sheet that I could scan across to you.

PM me if you want Kens phone number.

Yes please to both thank you Roger. 

« Reply #4 on: 06 July, 2008, 02:45:27 pm »
Have entered the 200k. Which should screw the weather. Sorry.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #5 on: 06 July, 2008, 05:02:08 pm »
I am in for the 200 - come on Annie - you know you want to test your stamina - and get miles in the legs ready for the big ones -- LEL and 2011.
I expect to see you at the start -- and am happy to ride at your pace for some time.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

annie

« Reply #6 on: 06 July, 2008, 07:21:01 pm »
I am in for the 200 - come on Annie - you know you want to test your stamina - and get miles in the legs ready for the big ones -- LEL and 2011.
I expect to see you at the start -- and am happy to ride at your pace for some time.

So many decisions!  I had a choice of the Pie Run and a 200 the following day, or the Pie Run and 100 the following day or to scrap that idea altogether and ride a 400 :-\  My mind has been rather preoccupied and so I really don't know what to do.

Fidgetbuzz, I think I am a bit faster than when I last saw you but of course haven't ridden a 200 since Up the Uts and won't be home until late on the Saturday evening.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #7 on: 06 July, 2008, 07:46:10 pm »
Come over to mine and ride back to yours, up to the 200 ride and back to yours for 400km. 

From yours to the 200 and back for 260km.

Ride to Hertford for the 6 counties 200 to make a 300km, and back home again for 400km.

Join Charlotte and co for their 400km.

Or just say sod it and have a weekend off ;D

Rich.

annie

« Reply #8 on: 06 July, 2008, 08:06:17 pm »
Come over to mine and ride back to yours, up to the 200 ride and back to yours for 400km. 

From yours to the 200 and back for 260km.

Ride to Hertford for the 6 counties 200 to make a 300km, and back home again for 400km.

Join Charlotte and co for their 400km.

Or just say sod it and have a weekend off ;D

Rich.

Now.... I have even more choices :o When we returned from our ride I struggled to decide what jim jams to wear, how therefore will I make a decision about the weekend?

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
« Reply #9 on: 11 July, 2008, 07:42:23 am »
Has anyone got the routesheet for the 200 that they could scan and mail me?
I've entered late so will pick up mine on Sunday.

Thanks
  Rich.

annie

« Reply #10 on: 11 July, 2008, 08:12:37 am »

Thanks
  Rich.

Can't scan at the moment but have just taken a photo of the route sheet.  Would that be acceptable to you?  I can email it to you after JC has gone to school, in about 5 mins?

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
« Reply #11 on: 11 July, 2008, 08:20:56 am »

Thanks
  Rich.

Can't scan at the moment but have just taken a photo of the route sheet.  Would that be acceptable to you?  I can email it to you after JC has gone to school, in about 5 mins?

:thumbsup: That will be fine, just wanted to look where the ride goes on the map so I've some idea which direction to cycle in ;)

Rich.

« Reply #12 on: 11 July, 2008, 08:37:31 am »

Thanks
  Rich.

Me too please, if not a hassle.

annie

« Reply #13 on: 11 July, 2008, 08:42:26 am »

Thanks
  Rich.

Me too please, if not a hassle.

Of course.

Give me 2 minutes.

Creaky Knees

« Reply #14 on: 11 July, 2008, 09:40:17 am »
The 200 is a really lovely ride.It was the first 200 my better half had done through all the tiny East Anglian lanes and villages.He was well impressed and loves the area now.

Hope the weather is kind for you this time around.

Lucy.

Thanks
  Rich.

:thumbsup: That will be fine, just wanted to look where the ride goes on the map so I've some idea which direction to cycle in ;)

Rich.

« Reply #15 on: 11 July, 2008, 04:15:23 pm »
I have the Greater Grovel 200 route created with Tracklogs saved on my 'puter. I'll give it a go and try and transfer a gpx file if anyone is interested.

Usual caveat that I followed the route sheet to the best of my ability but you decide if I'm right! ;D

bazzerp

• A new life in Cape Town.
« Reply #16 on: 11 July, 2008, 09:48:53 pm »
Chris S - are you on the route ?

Will you be spectating, or throwing buns/tinnies at us multi-geared laggards ?

Hope to call in & see you soon.

Bazzz
Where have all the hedges gone ?

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #17 on: 11 July, 2008, 11:48:58 pm »
ChrisS is about 600 yds off route.
 havent heard from him for a week or so - he might not want to see cyclists if his knee is giving him gyp, and he is still in " bear with sore head " mode.

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #18 on: 12 July, 2008, 11:44:27 am »
Spoke to Chris today, Sat. . Making slow but steady progress at getting better. had ridden a very gentle 20 kms last week.
Maybe his RRTY is not hopeless - we joked about Ely to Kings Lynn - to and fro as many times as are needed.
He is not at home Sunday pm - so no tea and buns stop at Necton for any friends or acquaintances.

RogerT

« Reply #19 on: 13 July, 2008, 06:44:40 pm »
Brief 100 Kms report.

Arrived in good time slightly worried by the fact that the outside air guage in the car had refused to crawl above 13deg for the whole journey.  It was on with the arm warmers and gillet before having a large mug of warming tea.

There where some very interesting bikes lined up, including a curly stayed Hetchins, several very nice Mercians, a couple of Roberts but no other Carltons  ( Skip Bike was feeling a bit lonely at this pont )...Oh, and some Modern bikes as well  ;)

There was also a very nice Barchetta A la Rich Forrest ( but not rich )

From what I could gather about 75 where doing the 100 but I did not recognise any faces.  The start was a little fragmented with some going off dun run style while others ( including me ) waited for Ken to give us the official "go"

The first half of the route was mostly flat and good progress was made to the food stop/control at the 100 bomb group museum.  Cafe looked excellent but I had copious quantities of Marmite sarnies together with a Farmers Market Flapjack.

2nd half had a suprisingly sharp little hill that caught one or two people out, but the rest was just rolling enough to make it interesting. With about 20 kms to go the back of the skip bike became more squirmy than normal.  Visititation.. but only a slow one.  I took the executive decision to carry on and apply air every 5 Kms or so

Finshed just before the tube gave out in a total time of just over 4.5 hrs ( riding time of 3 hrs 55 minutes )

Excellent Tea and cakes at the finish, but I downed about 2 pints of orange juice because the skip bike can only carry 1 water bottle.

I can strongly recomend this ride, the lanes are quiet, the houses to die for and the route notes excellent.

( Also the longest ride the skip bike has ever done, I really am finding it far superior to my "proper" Audax bike.  There is a morale there somewhere ?  ( £100.00 vs considereably more   ;) ;) )

Just need to recover enough now to get an "evens" in Tuesdays TT.

bazzerp

• A new life in Cape Town.
« Reply #20 on: 13 July, 2008, 10:03:47 pm »
Thanks Ken - lovely route. Thanks to your happy helpers too.

Barry
Where have all the hedges gone ?

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #21 on: 13 July, 2008, 10:22:34 pm »
50 or so riders on the 200 - but only 4 yACF as far as I know.
Plodding Pedro, Rich Forest, BazzerP and self.
Other than at the start I did not see Bazzerp, but both PloddingPedro and Rich had chats with me. Rich was on his new super duper recumbent.
I have to say that I suspect Plodding is a misnomer - he shot away from me , after the first control and was never seen again.
Rich and I - chatted about missing friends - notably Chris S ( also missed by Mick from Kings Lynn ) and Annie.
A good day in weather terms - although a steady westerly wind. Nice quiet Norfolk lanes. Pleasant controls in cafes etc - the old County School station at Elmham was new to me.
Typical attractive East Anglian ride - hillier than "furinners" would expect, - but not too demanding.

« Reply #22 on: 14 July, 2008, 08:35:23 am »
I did this ride last year, when we had more sunshine, and was sufficiently impressed with the quiet roads, (relative) lack of punishing hills and pleasant country to want to do it again. Absence of rain also good!

Very impressed with the way RichForrest rode his recumbant away from the bunch from the start and by the way he kept popping up in the distance in front of me at various times during the day! Fidgetbuzz is wrong to say I shot off from the first control - I actually arrived last of our bunch, having gritted the nashers to hang on until the cafe. There was a queue to get a stamp and by the time I'd finished faffing, everyone I'd followed there had gone. I gave furious (for me) chase and just caught Fidgetbuzz and another rider (anon.) at the turn onto the B1135 near Garveston. Fidgetbuzz looked about to go left; anon. went right and I followed him, shouting to Fidgetbuzz as I turned. I got a generous tow from anon. up the following grade and clung gasping to his wheel for several miles. Turns out he'd ridden some 60k to the start and had decided to do an "easy" 200k before riding home again! If he'd been trying properly I'd never have seen him for dust! At Swanton Morley, anon. went straight on where I followed last year's GPS track and turned right, so I lost my locomotive and resumed my characteristic ploddin' mode all the way to Burnham Deepdale. There was a huge queue for grub so I resorted to the malt loaf bonk rations and plodded on briefly until the puncture fairy visited and caused a mandatory fifteen minute "rest". Continued solo all the way through Castle Acre until I got picked up by a foursome working off their full English scoff from the Deepdale cafe - two guys from C.C. Sudbury, one from Diss and Deniece - who kindly towed me all the way to the HQ and several cups of hot sweet tea!

A great ride and definitely one for next year's calendar.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
« Reply #23 on: 14 July, 2008, 10:37:40 am »

Very impressed with the way RichForrest rode his recumbant away from the bunch from the start and by the way he kept popping up in the distance in front of me at various times during the day!

You're not the only one!! They didn't seem to be going that fast so I just dropped down the first hill expecting there to be another group in front, when there wasn't I realised I was leading an audax ride, there's a first :o
I expected to be caught a lot quicker than I did, finally coming past as I stopped to get the card out to write the 2nd info down. If it had been easy to see I wouldn't have stopped  ;)
Got to the 1st control with the group as it opened and as I bought a drink the fast group stamped and went.
A slightly slower ride upto Burnham for lunch and a pleasant ride back.
15th at Castle Acre stopped for a pint of orange and lemonade, and a cider shandy with Fidgetbuzz.
Quite a few riders went through as we stopped.
Off again for the last leg getting back at 17.15 with a total of 7.5hrs riding.
My best average speed for a 200 so far, loverly route, good weather and well organised.

Rich.

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #24 on: 14 July, 2008, 10:24:47 pm »
I demand a recount - if Plodding Pedro - can take 15 minutes out for a "visitation" and still be ahead of a very fast moving group  -- then he ai'nt Plodding.
It makes no difference if he is fast through controls - ( I waste little time there either ) but there was no way I could keep up with Anon and Pedro - after he had stopped me from turning left for Dereham.

Not just a recount -- a change of name too - how about PaceyPedro

Roger