Author Topic: Help! 600 needed  (Read 2304 times)

Help! 600 needed
« on: 15 July, 2008, 10:48:34 am »
Having failed at my attempt to ride a 600 this year so far, I am desperately looking for another to get my SR.

This week is out and also the next 2-weeks also, so that would rule out the Denmead 600 and Upton Magna (Offas Dyke) 600 as well.

The only one left would then be Gavin Greenhows Spa Trek 600 at the end of August, but I am not the best of climbers by any means.

Has anyone ever ridden Gavin's event or should I perhaps consider a DIY/Perm instead?

Re: Help! 600 needed
« Reply #1 on: 15 July, 2008, 10:54:01 am »
Hi Jethro,

If you go the perm route think about something that takes you back to home for a sleep, either splitting 350/250 or 400/200 depending on how far you think you can comfortably get in the first day.

Can't comment on the Spa Trek I'm afraid.

AC
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

iakobski

« Reply #2 on: 15 July, 2008, 11:35:49 am »
After the Irish Mail, any climbing in the Spa Trek would be a walk in the park.

How about one from Teethgrinder's 600 a month series?

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #3 on: 15 July, 2008, 12:03:55 pm »
After the Irish Mail, any climbing in the Spa Trek would be a walk in the park.

How about one from Teethgrinder's 600 a month series?

He's planning one toward the end of September for first-timers / those looking for a last chance to complete a SR series.  IIRC it may include vast stretches of Norfolk.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #4 on: 15 July, 2008, 01:20:49 pm »
Having failed at my attempt to ride a 600 this year so far, I am desperately looking for another to get my SR.

This week is out and also the next 2-weeks also, so that would rule out the Denmead 600 and Upton Magna (Offas Dyke) 600 as well.

The only one left would then be Gavin Greenhows Spa Trek 600 at the end of August, but I am not the best of climbers by any means.

Has anyone ever ridden Gavin's event or should I perhaps consider a DIY/Perm instead?

I rode Gavin's 600 a couple of years ago and it's nowhere near as hilly as his other rides.  The Denmead is hillier (or was, I hear the routes changed). 

It was hot that year, maybe too hot!

Nik

The lights were red, his brain was small - he hardly felt a thing at all.

« Reply #5 on: 15 July, 2008, 05:09:51 pm »

If you go the perm route think about something that takes you back to home for a sleep, either splitting 350/250 or 400/200 depending on how far you think you can comfortably get in the first day.

Absolutely.  I did that on a 400 recently, got back home before midnight at 300km, shower, proper feed, three hours in my own bed and back out in good daylight.

If you can drag yourself out, it's they way to do it.  But solo 600s are tough as mentioned elsewhere.  Take a friend   :thumbsup:

Maladict

« Reply #6 on: 15 July, 2008, 05:44:28 pm »
Don't kid yourself that you want a pan-flat 600 route.  Riding for miles on end across the fens or similar in any sort of wind drives one to despair.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #7 on: 15 July, 2008, 06:37:38 pm »
2008 600 series

I'm planning to be along on this ride also, The middle road route last year was flat in places but it was also rolling in others.
The Norfolk route would be the same by the look of it.

Rich.

Martin

« Reply #8 on: 15 July, 2008, 06:49:11 pm »
why not do C-Y-C on Aug 2nd? that (or the Great Eastern) was my unachieved dream PBP qualifier

(Maladict; agree about the wind though)

« Reply #9 on: 15 July, 2008, 08:50:34 pm »
2008 600 series

I'm planning to be along on this ride also, The middle road route last year was flat in places but it was also rolling in others.
The Norfolk route would be the same by the look of it.

Rich.

Yes, I'll be running a last chance saloon in September. It's between the Middle Road and the Norfolk route.
The Norfolk route is rolling with some flat fenland (about 100-150km of fenland) The Middle Road has more flatland, but the hilly sections are have bigger hills. Terrain wise, I'd say that the Norfolk is easier. But the Norfolk route is a bit over distance unless I can navigate the lanes. If I can trim the distance down to very little over 600km, rather than about 20-30km over, then I'll definitely do the Norfolk route. The Norfolk route also changes direction more frequently, so less chance of a constant headwind. The Middle Road is very accurate distance wise.