Author Topic: Beardys running log - Ct5k  (Read 144420 times)

Re: Beardys running log - Ct5k
« Reply #400 on: 10 August, 2020, 09:28:15 pm »
I got a blister for the first time in years a couple of weeks back. I’ve tweaked the laces, but the toes felt funny this week. Strava tells me I’ve done 480km on those shoes, so I wonder if I too am approaching worn out shoes time.

« Reply #401 on: 11 August, 2020, 08:51:51 am »
later start as I was not working this morning.  5k done in 31.34.  Legs felt quite sluggish to start with as I pushed it on the ride home last night.  really hot out there already but no sign of rio or thunder.  Pilates now with my wife and then a shed to build.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #402 on: 11 August, 2020, 12:14:14 pm »
A sluggish start is apparently quite normal so nothing to worry about. It usually takes me about 5 minutes to get into it.

I’ll submit my excuses now. It’s obviously too hot now to go out running and I couldnt go earlier because we are out with my daughter today and after Sunday’s session I have was banned from going. Honest.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #403 on: 11 August, 2020, 02:25:07 pm »
Still feel twinges in my hip so no running, plus we have thunderstorms forecasted.

We are off to the Uk on Friday lunchtime so at this rate I won’t be back to running until next week Thursday.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #404 on: 11 August, 2020, 05:10:45 pm »
For varying reasons amongst us a few days off is not a bad thing.  What is important is that we come back and continue.

I might well go for a swim instead tomorrow or Thursday.  And, I'll book a yoga or a pilates session.  All good stuff.

« Reply #405 on: 11 August, 2020, 05:46:55 pm »
Looking at the forecast for the morning, I expect it will be too hot for me, even before eight.
I might do something very gentle, but not the full 5k up the hill I was aiming for.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #406 on: 11 August, 2020, 08:51:11 pm »
Slow today.  Very hot and I had no go at all.  Still walk / run, but just over 50 minutes so nearly as slow as just walking. Day off tomorrow - I'm only really doing day off / day on to avoid blowing something up.  That may be it for this week: I have to ride to work on Saturday and Sunday, for the first time in 4 months, so that'll add 40 miles all told.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #407 on: 11 August, 2020, 09:32:39 pm »
I had to walk today for two different commitments.   Given the oppressive heat I regard that as sufficient with a step count for the day nearing 13k.

I did see a young woman running in the heat.  She was quick but didn't seem to be enjoying the experience.

« Reply #408 on: 12 August, 2020, 06:02:32 pm »
I decided it was far too hot for running this morning, because I overslept, because I didn't sleep well, because it was too hot last night.

So I went for a bike this afternoon instead, at least you get a bit more breeze that way albeit today's breeze was a bit like a hair dryer.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #409 on: 12 August, 2020, 09:46:43 pm »
The sky went sort of purple and there was a noticeably cooler breeze at about 8, so I declared it “easy run” day and went for a flat 5km and kept it in zone 2. The hoped for soaking didn’t happen, but I feel better for it.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #410 on: 13 August, 2020, 06:59:42 am »
I’ve got the joy of a 300 mile drive today, so it’ll be another 'rest' day for me. I’m quite jealous of those of you who Are managing g to fit runs in around this oppressive weather.

At least the car has air conditioning.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #411 on: 13 August, 2020, 08:38:47 am »
I too am envious of those who can manage a run in these sweltering conditions.

Looking at the forecast I hope to rise on Saturday and stagger along the local Sustrans trail for an early 6k to get myself back into some sort of a routine.

I have just been chatting with my yoga teacher by txt.  Classes resume in a very socially-distanced way on Tuesday for me.  Very happy about that.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #412 on: 15 August, 2020, 09:28:22 am »
Yet more driving today, which is annoying because it feels like it might be cool enough to have gone out for a run. I’ve also gained a few pounds while visiting Dartmoor so I think a few days of fasting is on the cards.

It’s hard work, this getting fit malarkey.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #413 on: 15 August, 2020, 12:53:44 pm »
My wife and daughter have both been doing the C25K this summer, and my wife was on the 28min run today, so I went out with her as well.  I know my back will regret it, but what the hell.

She did very well, a very steady pace at 7min/km +/- a few seconds, and only stopped for two micro-pauses. For a real non-runner I'm very impressed, particularly as this was faster than she does on the treadmill (even allowing for treadmill general inaccuracy). Not sure if I was subconciously pushing her pace or not as it was a lot slower than I would normally go.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #414 on: 15 August, 2020, 01:05:19 pm »
With the extremes of heat coming to a welcome end I shall be out either tomorrow or Monday.  Tomorrow morning looks favourable but all depends upon this evening.

Cannot wait to get back out there.  Have managed zero weight gain whilst not running this week which is very welcome indeed.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #415 on: 15 August, 2020, 08:32:56 pm »
Having learnt the word "jeffing" here, I can use it today. Having started with a hill, I was forced to jeff when I got to the flat. When I repeated the hill, I rejeffed. Three times would have been silly. The hill is rather small, about 300m, but steep enough, from 10% at the bottom to 16% at the top. Surprised to find via onthegomap that I did a total just over 6km. Not too hot but humid.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #416 on: 15 August, 2020, 10:57:47 pm »
I'm now up to Week 2 day 2 completed. Just day 3 to go.

I repeated a week 1 run and my knee was a bit twingy and I didn't want to push it, but I didn't have any problems while running.

Polar Bear, yes I do include my warm up & warm down in the distance. I just press start when I set off and stop when I get back.

I was away on holiday last week. I couldn't take the bike so this was the reason I started running really. I got 3 runs in, 2 at 3.8 km, and one at 3.1 km. Time varying between 31 and 38 minutes. All of them along a beach, it was nice to run along the firm sand.

Next run planned for either Sunday or Monday. Have to see when I can fit it in.

« Reply #417 on: 16 August, 2020, 07:11:09 pm »
Strange week.  I did a 115km gravel ride with my son on Wednesday which we both found incredibly hard from the heat.  I almost thought he was going to have heat stroke.  From not usually stopping on a 100km ride we stopped 4 times.

I thought I had rehydrated and eaten but had a real depression Friday -Sunday.  Eventually after eating significantly more today and strangely it seemed to be carbs I needed the depression lifted and I managed to get out now for a 5km run at 6:41 pace.

(click to show/hide)

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #418 on: 16 August, 2020, 08:50:30 pm »
It’s good to see people getting back out there after a particularly difficult for us delicate British roses. Some of you are obviously made of sterner stuff than me.

I’m planning on going out tomorrrow morning, but I’ve not done it yet!

« Reply #419 on: 16 August, 2020, 09:23:25 pm »
I am out early tomorrow too Beardy.    Look forward to reading about your exploits.

I have no idea what I am going to do yet so it will be just as much a surprise for me as it will for you.

« Reply #420 on: 17 August, 2020, 04:31:01 am »
Well, I have risen.  Now to stretch and then leave the cave ...

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #421 on: 17 August, 2020, 06:10:38 am »
I still have the slight pain in my side which I developed when running 11 days ago. It feels like a pulled muscle. It’s less bad than it was at the beginning but doesn’t seem to have got any better in the last week. I only really notice it now when walking upstairs.

I would like to get back to running but don’t know if it makes sense to do something gentle later this week when back from the UK.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #422 on: 17 August, 2020, 06:49:59 am »
Sorry to hear that AH.  Never good to run with an injury.

I have my own negativity to deal with.  In just four weeks I have regressed to not being able to run 5k continuous from running 12k and I have added a minute per k to my 5k time.

I have no idea what is happening and I am spiralling downwards.  I cannot seem to find way out of this.   It is really getting under my skin.

Daft thing is that for the first 4k this morning I was enjoying myself.  Something is wrong though and it it really depressing me.

« Reply #423 on: 17 August, 2020, 08:01:00 am »
So, now I have a headache developing.  I'm hoping nothing serious.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #424 on: 17 August, 2020, 01:42:11 pm »
I'm sorry that you're still struggling with enjoyment issues PB. Try a few runs without the Thief of Joy?

I've just finished Week 2 of Couch to 5k. 3.54km in 31 minutes.

Left knee a bit sort after the run, so I might give it a few more days before starting Week 3, which looks like a bit of a rest week anyway, only 28 minute runs instead of 31.

I'm using a "Get Active" Couch to 5k app on my phone, mostly because that's what I was using a few years ago last time I tried this. I wouldn't recommend it, sign up requires all sorts of data they really don't need for a running app (like your proper home address!) which I got around by having garbage data in there from last time I installed it and not updating it.

It's fairly simple, just give voices prompts of when to walk, when to run, works with the audio app I use to listen to things while I'm running. I log the runs in Wahoo fitness app, as Strava doesn't connect to sensors anymore I was insterested in HR data. Wahoo posts to Strava when I finish the run.

My Strava is here if anybody wants to connect via that.