Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1750901 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #4025 on: 08 May, 2013, 11:33:12 am »
 ::-)

;D

By the way, if anyone is free on the night of Friday 17th May and fancies eating breakfast in Brighton on Saturday morning please let me know.  I have organised a Friday Night Ride to the Coast for some colleagues.  We leave Hyde Park Corner at midnight.  The plan includes a ride in Gatwick's South Terminal goods lift   :thumbsup:

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #4026 on: 08 May, 2013, 12:00:41 pm »
Sounds good to me. Meet at the J&J?
Slippy, I'll meet you at the J&J about 7:30 then we can go to Oaky's house and continue from there........

My departure time is dependent on when mrs_o arrives back with Acorn#1.  Somewhere between 7.35 and 7.45 is usual.

Route looks good  :thumbsup:

Warning to Slippy: there will be a committee meeting regarding Asparagus & Strawberries plans for Saturday, but that does not preclude you from being co-opted on to the committee  ::-)
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #4027 on: 08 May, 2013, 07:11:53 pm »
That's fine, I'll mostly be drinking beer :-)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4028 on: 09 May, 2013, 08:30:32 pm »
So how did it go last night?

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4029 on: 10 May, 2013, 09:23:26 am »
A lot of miles in the ales: Orkney Red and something from Cornwall. No Bishop Nick.....Compasses pretty full as usual, but I bagged the MEMWNS table for Slipgate, Oaky and Huggy; Chief rolled up later having done a pb on the hill-climb course from Howe Street ;D

A sort of a plan sketched out for the Asparagus and Strawberries, sorry for boring you Slippy....but undecided whether to visit the Fox & Hounds at Weasenham St Peter [a la Oaky two years ago] or the Bull in Lt Walsingham [off route, slightly]. We'll take a vote when we get to Wells, probably.

Huggy was testing his Bulging Pannier of Long Distance Audax Essentials, which may have contributed to a clipless moment on setting off from the pub  :facepalm:

I had my old 36 spoke wheel in Poppy the fixie, with 18t FREEWHEEL  :o, as the nice 32 spoke had seized bearings after a winter of abuse. It turns out several of us are coveting a Genesis Day 01 Disc Single Speed for winter/commuting. But I'll be using Ruby Holdsworth for the A&S, and possibly more than one of her once state-of-the-art 21 Shimano 105 gears.

I got back at Midnight precisely, just as most of Dunmow plunges into darkness. 27 miles done.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4030 on: 10 May, 2013, 09:32:25 am »
Huggy fell off AGAIN!!!  Has some cruel bugger turned up his persoanl gravity field?

« Reply #4031 on: 10 May, 2013, 09:43:07 am »
Randon question. Is anyone doing Dunwich this year? May put it in the diary. If I do I'll be cycling back to Witham on the morning after also.

Looks like the wheels may be coming off my planned SR. Her indoors has now said she might be working on the weekend of the Flatlands. If I can't get babysitters for that weekend then may have do do a solo DIY on a different weekend! This would then mean I've done two DIYs so may not be valid for an Essex SR badge :'(

Good luck with A&S at the weekend. Hope the weather holds up ok.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #4032 on: 10 May, 2013, 11:02:09 am »
Huggy was testing his Bulging Pannier of Long Distance Audax Essentials, which may have contributed to a clipless moment on setting off from the pub  :facepalm:
Huggy fell off AGAIN!!!  Has some cruel bugger turned up his persoanl gravity field?
These events only occur when stationary and the gyroscope is not fully operative  :facepalm:
Can't classify it as a clipliess moment as I am claiming that I over balanced on the leg swing over seat  ::-)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4033 on: 10 May, 2013, 12:47:12 pm »
So Huggy dear, what on earth did you have in your pannier to make it so heavy? 

« Reply #4034 on: 10 May, 2013, 03:27:14 pm »
So that's Bloomers and Huggy who have stacked outside the compasses :-o

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4035 on: 10 May, 2013, 03:30:20 pm »

But only you have exploded a tyre  :thumbsup:

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4036 on: 10 May, 2013, 08:09:30 pm »
Looks like the wheels may be coming off my planned SR. Her indoors has now said she might be working on the weekend of the Flatlands. If I can't get babysitters for that weekend then may have do do a solo DIY on a different weekend!

Oaky may have issues with the Flatlands too....a 'helpers' ride a week either side of the date would do.

« Reply #4037 on: 10 May, 2013, 09:43:29 pm »

But only you have exploded a tyre  :thumbsup:

fink I'm still in trouble for that as well  :'(

« Reply #4038 on: 10 May, 2013, 10:01:13 pm »
Can't classify it as a clipliess moment as I am claiming that I over balanced on the leg swing over seat  ::-)

Not the first time a cyclist has got over excited at the prospect of getting their leg over  :thumbsup:

Was it captured on camera or noticed by the locals?

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #4039 on: 13 May, 2013, 11:00:54 am »
So.... this week...

I can't ride on Wednesday (mrs_o has some Friends of the School type meeting that evening) but could probably do Thursday if anybody else is interested?

Open to suggestions regarding the location.  I'll take a view nearer to the time as to whether my A&S recovery spin route will take in TMNH or not.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #4040 on: 13 May, 2013, 11:56:58 am »
I'll take a view nearer to the time as to whether my A&S recovery spin route will take in TMNH or not.

Saw you huffing and puffing up Guithavon Valley this morning while I was on the school run. I suggest you may want to give TMNH a miss for a couple of days!

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #4041 on: 13 May, 2013, 12:04:06 pm »
I'll take a view nearer to the time as to whether my A&S recovery spin route will take in TMNH or not.

Saw you huffing and puffing up Guithavon Valley this morning while I was on the school run. I suggest you may want to give TMNH a miss for a couple of days!

If I had a pannier with me then it was my second ride up there this morning... I got to the station first time and realised I'd left my pannier (including laptop etc.) at home and had to ride back for it.  :facepalm:  :-[  Mind you, on the first run up there, I even allowed myself to  be overtaken by another bike.

My legs were protesting a little bit by the end of all that.  I'm hoping that my post-Audax-hero-legs are in attendance by Thursday :)

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4042 on: 14 May, 2013, 07:54:08 am »
Thursday is possible  :thumbsup:

« Reply #4043 on: 14 May, 2013, 08:36:30 am »
No can do. Free work booze up on Thursday.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #4044 on: 14 May, 2013, 08:45:08 am »
Can't do Thursday as I have to stay home to study for a fasting blood test on Friday  :(
Hopefully first step to getting digestion issues on long rides sorted  :sick:

(oh, and I do have a stinking cough & cold now that I think started Saturday afternoon sometime after Halesworth  :facepalm: )

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #4045 on: 14 May, 2013, 01:11:05 pm »
BTW huggy - your .signature is missing a " :thumbsup:"

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #4046 on: 14 May, 2013, 01:20:55 pm »
BTW huggy - your .signature is missing a " :thumbsup:"
Fixed  :)

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #4047 on: 14 May, 2013, 08:57:17 pm »
Thursday is possible  :thumbsup:

Any preference as to a location?

One of the Braintree destinations (Wag(g)on and Horses or King Billy)?  Is there anything worth visiting in/near Rayne?

Anywhere else you have a hankering after a visit to?  (As long as it's less than 155 miles from Witham and/or Dunmow ;))

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #4048 on: 14 May, 2013, 10:16:21 pm »
Christophe, don't get hung up on the badge thing, I won't be qualifying either. Have a look at the Buzzard 600, I quite fancy that. I will be doing the Flatliner (as my mate Nick calls it) as well.

Hereward the Wake anyone?

Oh yes and re the tumble outside the Compasses: In my defence I was very       very       drunk.

« Reply #4049 on: 15 May, 2013, 08:40:18 am »
Christophe, don't get hung up on the badge thing,

But...but....but I WANT ONE! The SR will be done one way or another but will include too many DIY's for Tom's rulz. The fixed wheel challenge is well on it's way also. Slowly amassing points on my weekly runs home from work. Have a cunning plan for a nocturnal RRTY so I can fit it in round real life. Buzzard looks interesting but wil have to check the calendar.
Also the Essex SR badge would look cool on a green and honey carradice ;)