Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1751245 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #4725 on: 27 January, 2014, 12:12:20 am »
I was wondering about The Alma at Copford.  It's an unvisited (by me) Good Beer Guide pub.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #4726 on: 27 January, 2014, 08:11:38 am »
The Alma is very cyclist-friendly, it's where loads of CTC rides start/finish.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4727 on: 27 January, 2014, 08:26:57 am »
The Alma is very cyclist-friendly, it's where loads of CTC rides start/finish.

:thumbsup:

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4728 on: 27 January, 2014, 11:46:38 am »
Yup, nice pub - good beer and food. I'll try and work out a Tomsk friendly route that doesn't use the A120!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4729 on: 27 January, 2014, 11:48:58 am »
Looks like we have a plan!

« Reply #4730 on: 28 January, 2014, 10:39:50 am »
Let me know how you get on tomorrow especially if you are going near TMNH. I have been avoiding as fear it may be flooded around there. Noticed on the train the other day that underneath the railway bridge on Terling Hall Lane near HP looked very flooded and imagine the water might be quite deep.

Have a good night.

Cheers
Chris

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #4731 on: 28 January, 2014, 10:57:00 am »
I am most unlikely to be out on the bike this Wednesday. It will more probably be transported home from Gt Dunmow in the back of the car  :'(  Man-flu is showing no signs of abating  :sick:

The approach to TMNH is surprisingly unflooded and has been in 2014, in contrast to standing water in large puddles in other localities but all negotiable by attacking at speed, unclipping and surfing through with feet in the air  :thumbsup:

UPDATE: I'm a definite DNS for tonight  :sick:
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4732 on: 29 January, 2014, 08:50:25 am »
Get Well Soon Huggy.  :-*

I'm still up for tonight, even though it may still be a trifle soggy. Trying to stay off the beer [well maybe just the one....].

I'll go via Braintree, then Silver End, Kelvedon, Messing to Copford.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4733 on: 29 January, 2014, 08:54:05 am »
Get Well Soon Huggy.  :-*

I'm still up for tonight, even though it may still be a trifle soggy. Trying to stay off the beer [well maybe just the one....].

I'll go via Braintree, then Silver End, Kelvedon, Messing to Copford.

I'm up for it as well.   I'm going TMNH, Maldon, Wickham Bishops, Tiptree, The Alma.  I am aiming to leave Witham at about 7pm so that should mean I get to Copford between 9 and 9:30pm.  I will probably go home via the A12 cyclepath.

chief said he might drop in.

« Reply #4734 on: 29 January, 2014, 02:28:34 pm »
Snorkel and flippers for you guys tonight then?

BTW if anyone's interested the Great British railways programme on BBC2 last night was Ipswich to Chelmsford. Lots of good Essex related stuff in there apparently. Haven't watched it yet but will have a look later on Iplayer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03t7rgg/Great_British_Railway_Journeys_Series_5_Ipswich_to_Chelmsford/

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4735 on: 29 January, 2014, 02:41:54 pm »
Snorkel and flippers for you guys tonight then?

BTW if anyone's interested the Great British railways programme on BBC2 last night was Ipswich to Chelmsford. Lots of good Essex related stuff in there apparently. Haven't watched it yet but will have a look later on Iplayer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03t7rgg/Great_British_Railway_Journeys_Series_5_Ipswich_to_Chelmsford/

I have a man overboard function on me Garmin so I'll be fine.

Thanks for the tip off.  Railway programme downloading onto me Kindle as I type.

« Reply #4736 on: 29 January, 2014, 02:49:35 pm »
Railway programme downloading onto me Kindle as I type.

Downloaded it on to my Ipad at lunch time so will be watching it on the way home later, whilst travelling on the the actual journey. :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4737 on: 29 January, 2014, 04:10:38 pm »
Railway programme downloading onto me Kindle as I type.

Downloaded it on to my Ipad at lunch time so will be watching it on the way home later, whilst travelling on the the actual journey. :thumbsup:

All the way to Ipswich?

« Reply #4738 on: 29 January, 2014, 04:53:35 pm »
All the way to Ipswich?

Hopefully not. I don't think watching Michael Portillo will make me miss my stop.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #4739 on: 29 January, 2014, 06:36:49 pm »
Uncle James and I are in a pub in Ardleigh for a meal with friends. If timings work out we might just pop to the Alma on four wheels...
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #4740 on: 29 January, 2014, 11:39:43 pm »
...and we did!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4741 on: 30 January, 2014, 07:31:59 am »
A good night last night.  40 miles for me.  It was a bit wet but great to be out on me bike again.  We had some sort of lemon grass beer which was very tasty and hopefully didn't aggravate Tomsk's arthritis too much.

Tomsk and I were just chatting when in walks AH and AJ, I hadn't seen AH's earlier post so it was a lovely surprise.

The Alma is a top public house, another tick in the 2013 Good Beer Guide, I am nearing the half way mark.

« Reply #4742 on: 30 January, 2014, 12:18:32 pm »
Did you go anywhere near TMNH / Papermill Lock last night? If so how was it? I'm just planning which way I'm going to cycle home tonight.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4743 on: 30 January, 2014, 01:13:18 pm »
Did you go anywhere near TMNH / Papermill Lock last night? If so how was it? I'm just planning which way I'm going to cycle home tonight.

TMNH / Papermill was absolutely fine -  go for it!

I watched the Michael Portillo railway journey programme on my way into London this morning.  Good it was.   But he described Witham as an attractive spa town - huh!?!  Perhaps he was referring to the Spa down Laurence Avenue.  Michael was so taken with Witham he immediately fucked off to Tiptree!  All he saw of our fair town was the railway station  ::-)

« Reply #4744 on: 30 January, 2014, 01:35:46 pm »
All he saw of our fair town was the railway station  ::-)

Loved the fact that they couldn't get a a decent shot of the outside of the station either because of the newsagent van!

I watched it last night. Never seen the programme before and was assuming it was about railways, rather than a jaunt around the countryside.
The Hole in the Wall in Colchester looked a decent pub. Is it in the guide? If so how about another Friday night ride in to Colchester for pubs and late night curry at the Victoria?

« Reply #4745 on: 30 January, 2014, 01:36:28 pm »

TMNH / Papermill was absolutely fine -  go for it!

I

TMNH it is then!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4746 on: 30 January, 2014, 01:39:47 pm »
All he saw of our fair town was the railway station  ::-)
The Hole in the Wall in Colchester looked a decent pub. Is it in the guide? If so how about another Friday night ride in to Colchester for pubs and late night curry at the Victoria?

No it's not in The Book but that doesn't preclude us from visiting along with some unvisited GBG pubs and a curry in The Vic.  Shall we wait until the weather gets a bit nicer or are you desperate?

« Reply #4747 on: 30 January, 2014, 02:00:23 pm »
are you desperate?

Slightly, yes. But I can wait a few weeks for a bike ride. It's currently birthday season in our house anyway so need to have clear headed Saturdays for the next few weeks. My turn this weekend. We are going to see the legend that is Paul Daniels in Gt Yarmouth on Saturday night :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4748 on: 30 January, 2014, 02:11:45 pm »
are you desperate?
... legend that is Paul Daniels in Gt Yarmouth on Saturday night :thumbsup:

"You're going to like this ... not a lot!"

Many moons ago, when I worked for Beecham Bovril Brands (I sold Marmite and Horlicks among other things) we had our sales conference at the Adelphi Hotel, Liverpool, which by the way was the hotel we stayed in the night before we sailed to Ghana to live for 4 years.  Anyhow, Paul D was the evening entertainment (at the sales conference, nothing to do with the boat trip to Ghana - I hope you're keeping up at the back  >:(  ).  He stuck one of the blokes in the audience to a chair.  Very convincing it was.  Transpired that PD had had a word with said bloke in the bar beforehand and slipped him a few quid so it was a set up job!

« Reply #4749 on: 30 January, 2014, 03:46:49 pm »
I don't believe a word. He's a consumate professional. Been prepping the girls by watching youtube clips and telling them he's way cooler than Dynamo. Here's the current favourite clip.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Io-Bby3iWVs&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/Io-Bby3iWVs&rel=1</a>

WTF were you doing in Ghana BTW?!?