Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1750960 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series (plus random E Anglian stuff)
« Reply #6275 on: 10 March, 2015, 11:07:24 am »
I can't see a route, it just takes me to the homepage?

HERE we go, you should see the route now ... I hope. 

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #6276 on: 11 March, 2015, 08:18:46 am »
I'll try and meet you all by riding through Braintree and going down the Cressing/Silver End/Rivenhall route.

I'll be loaded with bivi-ing gear to test ride for this weekend, when the plan is to ride to/from Newark via a DIY 200 for the Yellowbelly 200. Though...I'm reserving the right to get a Travelodge/train back if things go pear shaped.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #6277 on: 11 March, 2015, 08:29:31 am »
I'll try and meet you all by riding through Braintree and going down the Cressing/Silver End/Rivenhall route.

I'll be loaded with bivi-ing gear to test ride for this weekend, when the plan is to ride to/from Newark via a DIY 200 for the Yellowbelly 200. Though...I'm reserving the right to get a Travelodge/train back if things go pear shaped.

Are you going to be test bivi-ing on your way home?

* Oaky imagines the scene chez Tomsk as he leaves the house... "Bye Mrs Tomsk - I'm just off to the pub then I'm going to sleep in a ditch"

(anyone other than Tomsk would probably get away with blaming poor old Oaky for the latter part)
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #6278 on: 11 March, 2015, 08:51:29 am »
Looks likely to be a good Witham peloton this evening from Spa Road, I believe myself, Andy C33, Oros, Huggy and Trainmanbri should all be departing with possibles Tippers and OD. Steve Everitt may even arrive with trainmanbri!

Oaky I guess we will sweep you up by the Maltings Lane rndabt?

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #6279 on: 11 March, 2015, 09:28:50 am »
That sounds like a plan.

I have a conference call with the pesky colonials that's meant to end at 7pm, so I should be able to be there when you swing past just after half past, but on the off chance it overruns and I'm not there, don't wait - I'll try and catch you up around the route somewhere.

The Retiree

« Reply #6280 on: 11 March, 2015, 09:31:14 am »
Noted Oaky if we don't see you at the rndabt we shall look out for the steady lights approaching us from behind  ;D

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #6281 on: 11 March, 2015, 10:16:23 am »
I have a conference call with the pesky colonials that's meant to end at 7pm, so I should be able to be there when you swing past just after half past
Or we could swing by your front door and bang loudly on it so you can say "one moment, there's someone at the door..."
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #6282 on: 11 March, 2015, 10:34:35 am »
Just to check, is it the Coach Wagon and Horses we are going to? Would we all fit into the King Billy?

I am looking good for an early release and as I am working from home I might take advantage and head over from some early North Hill activity. If I am not at the Spa Road meet don't wait for me, I will likely see you on the road between there and TMNH

The Retiree

« Reply #6283 on: 11 March, 2015, 11:05:32 am »
Just to check, is it the Coach Wagon and Horses we are going to? Would we all fit into the King Billy?

I am looking good for an early release and as I am working from home I might take advantage and head over from some early North Hill activity. If I am not at the Spa Road meet don't wait for me, I will likely see you on the road between there and TMNH

Tippers I believe our intended destination is the King Billy for this evening, not sure if you came with us on our previous visit but we had a few of us then and we managed to tuck ourselves up round the side of the bar without any problems so hopefully we will be ok!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #6284 on: 11 March, 2015, 11:16:08 am »
It's a little out of my way and I am still not hardened to the ways of the MEMWNS, but I do fancy a ride in the rain this evening and you are passing fairly close when you swing past Heybridge.

Tippers what are your plans post-pub ?  Some company as far as Tiptree would see me a long way to being home but, as Huggy and OD will confirm, you will be slowed down if you choose to allow a Scotsman to follow on your wheel.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #6285 on: 11 March, 2015, 11:21:20 am »
The problem with the Wagon & Horses is that it has changed tenure a few times in recent months and is reportedly a bog standard Greene King offering now without the ale selection and atmosphere we have enjoyed there in the past  :-\

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #6286 on: 11 March, 2015, 01:59:57 pm »
Are you going to be test bivi-ing on your way home?

* Oaky imagines the scene chez Tomsk as he leaves the house... "Bye Mrs Tomsk - I'm just off to the pub then I'm going to sleep in a ditch"

(anyone other than Tomsk would probably get away with blaming poor old Oaky for the latter part)

...Not intentionally...but then I have my reputation as the Chuck Norris of Essex to uphold!

This will be my first [lightly] loaded camping/bivi trip on fixed since PBP 2007...that was a bit wet too...

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #6287 on: 11 March, 2015, 05:50:16 pm »
Ouch, Thanks for the video DL, but it is bringing up some painful memories. Was I crying or laughing? Thank goodness I had an extra pint of analgesia at the Fox.

I`m up for tonight`s ride (hopefully without stunt cycling) but I`m a beginner at MEMWNS and can`t work out where to meet you all. What time at Spa road?

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #6288 on: 11 March, 2015, 06:28:01 pm »
I think the Spa Roundabout rendezvous is 7:30.

I'm meeting them as they pass the Maldon Road/Maltings Lane mini roundabout a few minutes after that, assuming I get away on time.  Otherwise I'm playing catchup :)

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #6289 on: 11 March, 2015, 06:37:47 pm »
oops, I`m running late, see you all at the King Billy

The Retiree

« Reply #6290 on: 12 March, 2015, 08:51:08 am »
As is now the norm it was another well attended and enjoyable MEMWNS last night at The King Billy.

The Witham peloton consisted of Andy C33, Tippers, Huggy, OD, Oros and Oaky we then picked up Tomsk at Rivenhall and met Carlos at the Billy (no caught on camera moments this week!), with a 30 mile route to the pub including TMNH our average speed of 15mph showed just how strong we were riding in particular Tippers & Tomsk (fully laiden with test camping gear) but I think we all put in a good effort last night!

Oros (on what may be his last MEMWNS) and Carlos undertook the 'Pickled egg' initiation with both passing admirably and on the drink front I sampled a pint of Billericay Blonde (may favourite) a Woodford Wherry and finally a Captain Bob all told a super evening with great company! 

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6291 on: 12 March, 2015, 10:07:14 am »
... Oros (on what may be his last MEMWNS) and Carlos undertook the 'Pickled egg' initiation with both passing admirably ...

It was a great night and I'm really pleased we are getting so many riders out these days with a good sprinkling of new faces. 

The King Billy is a smashing pub.  The very nice lady behind the bar was telling me they have just started brewing their own beer.  She also said they were doing really well which, as she pointed out, is admirable bearing in mind they don't do food and are prospering on beer (plus the odd G&T) sales alone.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6292 on: 12 March, 2015, 10:37:38 am »
Something that was mentioned last night ...

What are everyone's thoughts on running a kitty for Wednesday evening beers?

« Reply #6293 on: 12 March, 2015, 10:44:29 am »
It's a little out of my way and I am still not hardened to the ways of the MEMWNS, but I do fancy a ride in the rain this evening and you are passing fairly close when you swing past Heybridge.

Tippers what are your plans post-pub ?  Some company as far as Tiptree would see me a long way to being home but, as Huggy and OD will confirm, you will be slowed down if you choose to allow a Scotsman to follow on your wheel.

tedshred - Sorry I completely missed that post. You are always welcome to share a wheel and I am sure you wouldn't really slow me down. I am happy going any pace as long as it is not too fast!

I took advantage of working from home yesterday and got out between 17:30 and 18:00. I decided to ride the route in reverse from  Braxted to Witham which would give me my first 100km midweek ride. I had a few issues with my Hope light which it turned out to be was due to putting one of the batteries in the wrong way  :facepalm: but other than that the plan worked well. I got to the Spa Road round about with nearly 40km on the clock and about 6 minutes to spare so a perfectly judged trip I would say.

It was awesome riding with a big peloton last night and being on the smaller lanes after some dry weather meant there was plenty of time for banter and chat. The winter training continues to show some signs of coming through and North Hill is my real measure of what progress has been made. That said I was on the road bike carrying no real luggage so it was always going to be quicker than the commuter with a pannier.

The King Billy as mentioned above was a great location, the Mini Kievs on the bar were awesome. I ended up on the Black Dragon Cider, still not convinced that was the best idea but it was excellent.

I think it is going to be a fantastic MEMWNS summer!

The Retiree

« Reply #6294 on: 12 March, 2015, 10:58:17 am »

:thumbsup: I think this is a great idea OD, it can get rather expensive for individuals to buy 'rounds' when we have a large group as per last night!

I for one will be up for this option going forward, fingers crossed Tomsk secures the winning bid on the teatowel also mentioned last night!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #6295 on: 12 March, 2015, 11:43:36 am »

Interesting concept, a flaw I can see is any kitty residue left over at the end of the session and to be fair to contributors to previous kitty in future weeks. Suggestion of operation where there is an MEMWNS assembly large enough to not be able to complete everyone buying a round:
  • £10 in to start kitty on the night
  • £5 top ups if the kitty runs out
  • Any kitty residue gets 'banked' and put towards a worthy MEMWNS cause such as end of year curry & beer open for all to attend
This does of course require a banker to be present to handle kitty.  Too complicated??

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6296 on: 12 March, 2015, 11:59:25 am »
I think you're on the right lines Huggy.  The Portsmouth Wednesday evening crowd have a kitty and it struck me as a good idea, I've been meaning to mention the idea for a while but keep forgetting.

Having a kitty that rolls over is fine for those who attend regularly.  If someone can't attend regularly they are at liberty to buy their own beer or lob some money into the kitty on the night they do attend - this is what I did on the night when I rode with the Pompey crew.

Yes we will need a banker (we have one already  :demon: ).  Perhaps we could give the idea a try if others think its a plan with promise?

The Retiree

« Reply #6297 on: 12 March, 2015, 12:13:47 pm »

Having a kitty that rolls over is fine for those who attend regularly.  If someone can't attend regularly they are at liberty to buy their own beer or lob some money into the kitty on the night they do attend - this is what I did on the night when I rode with the Pompey crew.

I think this will work OD and makes good sense as there is generally enough 'regulars' to keep the kitty ticking over nicely and any of those that attend less regularly as you say have the opting in for the evening or just buying their own if they so wish  :thumbsup:

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #6298 on: 12 March, 2015, 03:36:51 pm »
  • £10 in to start kitty on the night
  • £5 top ups if the kitty runs out
  • Any kitty residue gets 'banked' and put towards a worthy MEMWNS cause such as end of year curry & beer open for all to attend

Sounds eminently sensible to me - it is getting a bit chaotic [in a good way] with pints being thrust at me throughout the evening. Perhaps the 'banker' should have a notebook to take orders?

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #6299 on: 12 March, 2015, 04:42:15 pm »
and a pinny!