Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1751140 times)

Re: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #11275 on: 27 September, 2017, 06:23:54 pm »
It looks as if the two routes converge at the top of North Hill at the Colam Lane/Spring elms lane.

I'll be there to intercept (hopefully both routes) at 2000

Cheers

Jan
Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #11276 on: 27 September, 2017, 07:22:35 pm »
I'll make my own way there - just getting changed now, so will miss the peloton
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #11277 on: 02 October, 2017, 07:13:37 am »
So the Leather Bottle, Blackmore this Wednesday?  I reserve the right to ride to Chelmsford from the pub to get a train assist home as I shall be on fixed and it’s a long way.

Also could someone do a Witham peloton route as I am mega busy all week  >:(

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #11278 on: 02 October, 2017, 08:44:29 am »
So the Leather Bottle, Blackmore this Wednesday?  I reserve the right to ride to Chelmsford from the pub to get a train assist home as I shall be on fixed and it’s a long way.

I was under the illusion that MEMWNS was about cycling to the pub and having a good time with your mates but analysing your post it seems that it`s about taking the train. Somehow, I also thought that fixed gear bikes were about the purity of cycling but it seems that they exist as an excuse to catch the previously mentioned train. Could anyone please enlighten me? signed, confused of Colchester. (Which is over twice as far from Blackmore as Witham)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #11279 on: 02 October, 2017, 09:04:56 am »
'fandango, your confusion is understandable as it’s based on you subconsciously referring to rulz. I think we have previously established that I have a problem with rulz.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #11280 on: 02 October, 2017, 09:26:53 am »
Sorry, I forgot you're a rebel. You must have been/still are a very naughty schoolboy.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #11281 on: 02 October, 2017, 09:29:42 am »
Sorry, I forgot you're a rebel. You must have been/still are a very naughty schoolboy.

I wasn't a rebel as a schoolboy, its a grown up thing.

« Reply #11282 on: 02 October, 2017, 09:39:41 am »

Yay, we have a location that is more accessible for some this week  :)

I don't understand you comments re 'long way' and why it should make any difference on fixed.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Oscar's dad

« Reply #11283 on: 02 October, 2017, 10:01:31 am »
Cos I'm not confident on fixed.  In the back of my mind I have it that fixed is harder work.  Time will tell if I'm worrying about nothing.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #11284 on: 02 October, 2017, 10:03:56 am »
I thought it was easier. Anyway, quit worrying and get cycling. What could go wrong, probably won't.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #11285 on: 02 October, 2017, 10:09:06 am »
It's harder work rushing off to catch the last train all alone, waiting around, pushing the bike, still cycling but not as far etc, when instead you could still be in the pub with us enjoying yourself and the leisurely ride home. :)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #11286 on: 02 October, 2017, 10:09:47 am »
Cos I'm not confident on fixed.  In the back of my mind I have it that fixed is harder work.  Time will tell if I'm worrying about nothing.

Fixed drive-train is 99% efficient, compared to 97% [-ish, depending on dirt, lube etc] for a derailleur set-up, according to Mike Burrows. On flat or rolling terrain, even into the wind, the lack of a dead spot helps maintain momentum. Only very hilly routes give gears & freewheel an advantage, more downhill than up.

Not having to expend energy thinking about changing gear must redirect some wattage to the engine room.  :thumbsup:

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #11287 on: 02 October, 2017, 10:26:37 am »

Fixed drive-train is 99% efficient, compared to 97% [-ish, depending on dirt, lube etc] for a derailleur set-up, according to Mike Burrows. On flat or rolling terrain, even into the wind, the lack of a dead spot helps maintain momentum. Only very hilly routes give gears & freewheel an advantage, more downhill than up.

Not having to expend energy thinking about changing gear must redirect some wattage to the engine room.  :thumbsup:

Plus fixed riders are kick-ass hard and not whimpering milksop, slack-chained whelps!

Or something like that.   ;D

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #11288 on: 02 October, 2017, 10:43:09 am »

Plus fixed riders are kick-ass hard and not whimpering milksop, slack-chained whelps!

You mean not the type who catch the train home because "it's a long way" or because it's "harder work"?

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #11289 on: 02 October, 2017, 11:02:23 am »

You mean not the type who catch the train home because "it's a long way" or because it's "harder work"?

Exactly!

« Reply #11290 on: 02 October, 2017, 11:12:27 am »
I shall be driving half way there and half way home, not because I am riding fixed but because 85 miles on a Wednesday night is a little too much in the course of a hectic week.

TBH, I will be glad just to make it for once  :'(

In other news, I bumped into the prize winning machine that is the Retiree last week (actually a van slowed down and someone shouted out of the window at me, just as I was about to politely tell him to desist and move on, I realised it was the Retiree).  He is threatening to reappear as a regular on Wednesdays...
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oscar's dad

« Reply #11291 on: 02 October, 2017, 11:16:23 am »
Hang on a moment, I'm not sure I ever said I kick-ass hard or wasn't a whimpering milksop or slack-chained whelp!

I have said that riding fixed is an experiment for me and the experiment could end with BJ being sold!

So despite your collective outrage I still reserve the right to take the train home  :P

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #11292 on: 02 October, 2017, 11:23:38 am »
...the Retiree).  He is threatening to reappear as a regular on Wednesdays...
Yeah yeah, we've heard those threats before, only fleetingly carried out while the rest of the peloton cough and wheeze trying to hold his wheel.

So despite your collective outrage I still reserve the right to take the train home  :P
May I be excluded from the fixed outrage on account of me keeping my head well below the parapet on that subject.
As far as using train assistance, as has been pointed out before, it's often quicker to actually just use your bike from Chelmsford...a re-run of the train versus bicycle challenge can be set up  :smug:
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

« Reply #11293 on: 02 October, 2017, 11:26:37 am »
Taking the train means the train takes the strain. Have we learned nothing from Jimmy Saville?

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #11294 on: 02 October, 2017, 11:27:51 am »
Taking the train means the train takes the strain. Have we learned nothing from Jimmy Saville?
Click / clunk before every trip!
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

« Reply #11295 on: 02 October, 2017, 11:46:40 am »
Click / clunk before every trip!

Almost.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #11296 on: 02 October, 2017, 01:10:52 pm »
Any non-Audaxers who want new kit [BFC, Giles...] - contact Soupy via pm or email me. There is a thread over on 'Audax'.

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #11297 on: 02 October, 2017, 01:23:27 pm »
I shall be driving half way there and half way home, not because I am riding fixed but because 85 miles on a Wednesday night is a little too much in the course of a hectic week.

TBH, I will be glad just to make it for once  :'(

In other news, I bumped into the prize winning machine that is the Retiree last week (actually a van slowed down and someone shouted out of the window at me, just as I was about to politely tell him to desist and move on, I realised it was the Retiree).  He is threatening to reappear as a regular on Wednesdays...

A great pleasure it was too bumping into a sweaty and red faced Ted flying under the Strava radar on his new shiny Brompton! Who knows how many KOM’s he is taking whilst riding stealth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #11298 on: 02 October, 2017, 02:41:35 pm »

A great pleasure it was too bumping into a sweaty and red faced Ted flying under the Strava radar on his new shiny Brompton! Who knows how many KOM’s he is taking whilst riding stealth

Ah, it's you  :thumbsup: Been a while since anyone has mentioned a Strava KOM.....what are they again? ;D

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #11299 on: 02 October, 2017, 05:32:04 pm »
Any non-Audaxers who want new kit [BFC, Giles...] - contact Soupy via pm or email me. There is a thread over on 'Audax'.

I have just brought the ACME merchandise thread to the top of the list over on "Audax".

I am interested in a long sleeved jersey, and a winter jersey. On basis of previous Blackmore sizing, both large.