Author Topic: Commutes: Morning versus Evening  (Read 1714 times)

ABlipInContinuity

Commutes: Morning versus Evening
« on: 12 November, 2008, 09:33:35 pm »
Morning commutes are generally much easier. Granted, we do set off a litte before eight, but that's late enough to see traffic speeds reduced by it's sheer weight.

Evening commutes have been horrendous. We have been experiencing a lot less patience all around. More drivers "forcing" their way past as we negotiate pinch points, more overtaking on approach to junctions and red traffic lights and less willing to let us take our lane in the places where we are not filtering off to the left.

Seems to be much worse since the nights have drawn in.

I remember developing similar feelings last year.

The dark definately seems to have a negative effect on people.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: Commutes: Morning versus Evening
« Reply #1 on: 12 November, 2008, 09:47:18 pm »
Manchester Bloody Council have a negative effect on the poor saps who are commuting too.

It CAN'T just be a coincidence that we are about to be asked to vote on a congestion charge for Manchester and there are road works on EVERY major route in and out of the city centre.

Ok Maybe it's perfectly normal paranoia but the conspiracy theorist in me says that it's a plot. We'll make everyone miserable, we'll put it to the vote and we'll make sure we add a rider to the ballot that says something like 'If you don't vote you will be counted as voting 'Yes' to the charge'

Then as the charge comes into effect, BINGO! Suddenly the roadworks evaporate and then they can say 'Look how much the traffic has eased since the introduction of the congestion charge'

Complete bollox? Then tell me I'm wrong!

J
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

ABlipInContinuity

« Reply #2 on: 12 November, 2008, 10:46:23 pm »
The bulk of the works are for united utilities .. renewing water/sewerage pipes. I recall getting lost in the city centre when they had most of Piccadilly dug up. Same issues on Deansgate and now also by Central Library. The diversions are not well thought out for cyclists.

I find it hard to believe that United Utilities are in cahoots with Manchester City Council or the boroughs of Greater Manchester. The works are bad timing for the supports of the TIF bid - ammunition for the conspiracy theorists.

goatpebble

« Reply #3 on: 12 November, 2008, 10:53:08 pm »
I am so glad that my commute is rural. The morning run is the conflicted one, with the yummy mummies in their huge 4x4s. Blond and wealthy, with a mobile stuck to their ears. It is a bit scary!

The evening is blissful! I explore a bit!!!

I found a new route that just heads off into the sunset! No cars for a whole hour!

Dusk, mist, and rose tinted lovely mysterious woodland!

And I met a guy on a nice Cannondale, training for a tri event. We rode back home together, chatting about all sorts of stuff!

I am so glad I am a cyclist!

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor
« Reply #4 on: 13 November, 2008, 12:03:12 am »
My experience so far is that I am given more room in the dark. However, it is a town/rural commute rather than a city one.

FyPuNK

« Reply #5 on: 13 November, 2008, 09:45:55 am »
My experience so far is that I am given more room in the dark. However, it is a town/rural commute rather than a city one.
Snap, I get more room and respect, they even stop to allow me to cross over the road onto a cycle path. But again I am town rather than city.