Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3814624 times)

annie

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #325 on: 04 May, 2008, 03:02:40 pm »
No, had to go the LBS to pick up a new wheel.  Saw loads of cyclists but there were lots of idiots in cars who were belting along on tiny country roads.

I am spending the day gardening, cycling will have to wait.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #326 on: 04 May, 2008, 03:05:34 pm »
Yesterday, we went to Battersea Park with Superstoker and a bunch of other kids.  Grand.

Getting there...

« Reply #327 on: 04 May, 2008, 03:43:16 pm »
went to Lepe beach and on to the New Forest did 43.6 miles

« Reply #328 on: 04 May, 2008, 04:20:56 pm »
another early morning run with the tri club, not quite as mentally fast as last time so a lot more comfortable.  I got a lot of stick for being on a steel bike with a leather saddle but as I pointed out, their carbon frames will probably revert to dust within the next 40 years, where mine will be nicely run in.  :)

annie

« Reply #329 on: 04 May, 2008, 04:49:08 pm »
another early morning run with the tri club, not quite as mentally fast as last time so a lot more comfortable.  I got a lot of stick for being on a steel bike with a leather saddle but as I pointed out, their carbon frames will probably revert to dust within the next 40 years, where mine will be nicely run in.  :)

:)

vince

« Reply #330 on: 04 May, 2008, 04:52:32 pm »
25 miles around the Elan dams yesterday - in sunshine  8)

I have to be doing 2 x 30 mile rides a week now as a minimum to prepare for the DunRun. I'm not sure how this is gonna work out though with work  :(

« Reply #331 on: 04 May, 2008, 05:29:32 pm »
I haven't been out for 4 flamming weeks ( or more).  Tomorrow I plan to rectify that.  Both bikes have slightly deflated tyres but apart from that are ready to let my legs lose on them.  Have no fear I will let you know.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #332 on: 04 May, 2008, 05:48:01 pm »
I haven't been out for 4 flamming weeks ( or more).  Tomorrow I plan to rectify that.  Both bikes have slightly deflated tyres but apart from that are ready to let my legs lose on them.  Have no fear I will let you know.

Welcome back, Mr GruB.
I think.  :-[ ;)

It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #333 on: 04 May, 2008, 05:49:26 pm »
I am not brave enough to log onto Bikejournal yet to see the damage.  Put me out of my misery please.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #334 on: 04 May, 2008, 05:56:09 pm »
I am not brave enough to log onto Bikejournal yet to see the damage.  Put me out of my misery please.

It's been taken over by someone with the initials "BD". You've been deleted... ::-)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #335 on: 04 May, 2008, 06:03:05 pm »
I led a CTC group ride (nine of us) from Uxbridge out to West Wycombe for coffee. Looking at the pubs marked on the Ordnance Explorer map, the first was closed today, the second demolished! Ended up at one in Hughenden Valley for lunch. Back through the Chalfonts to Denham Church for tea and cake: £1.50 for a cup of tea and large wodge of home made Victoria sponge with jam and real cream!

About 50 miles (my computer didn't work as the sensor battery had run out).

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #336 on: 04 May, 2008, 06:28:37 pm »
51.62miles down to Box Hill in 3h42m with an adv. speed of 13.9mph and max of 31.2mph :)

Grand day out, both of us well tired now.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #337 on: 04 May, 2008, 06:33:57 pm »

;D

Nah, I don't think you'll have much to worry about, not for long anyway.
I'm due a poor June - Mrs Eck is being bridesmaid at her best pal's wedding, which appears to involve two bike-free weekends for me  ???, plus I'm organising my first audax at the end of June. (You don't fancy it do you, 300k plus scenery points. )

So, get out and pump up those tyres. All the best, mate.  :thumbsup:

It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #338 on: 04 May, 2008, 06:41:33 pm »
Gave the new shorts a trip to Suffolk.

Manningtree to Shotley,Pin Mill then back along the Alton Resevoir.

About 35 miles.Shorts seemed a little loose around the waist so i have just eaten a plate of chips to try and rectify the situation.

Nice.Chips and ride.

N
Mal-odorous,liver-spotted, coffin-dodger.

« Reply #339 on: 04 May, 2008, 06:44:26 pm »
Like orienteer I also led a CTC group, only four including me. The "proper" leaders are either away in foreign climes or attending the DA ride starting from Mountnessing. We saw a few of them as we headed from Billericay to Stondon Massey. And when I left them to go to the Viper at Mill Green, I thought I'd join bobb and TOKaMaK (but didn't see them there).
Nice day with plenty of sun, plenty of clouds and a spit or two of rain. I also turned over mile 5000 today.

border-rider

« Reply #340 on: 04 May, 2008, 07:28:20 pm »
17 miles on the trike just now.  A record !

Finally I think I'm beginning to get it.  Only two hairy moments: one fast downhill corner when I just lost confidence and hit the brakes, once when I was not concentrating and realised as I went into a tight corner on a lane that I wasn't quite sure what direction I'd be coming out of it :)

But we were flying back into Lambourn.  A big barrel of fun  :)

« Reply #341 on: 04 May, 2008, 08:12:02 pm »
I'm spending the weekend in Aldwick, near Bognor Regis. I wanted to bring my Globe here for longer rides but that idea was met with disgust as it would mean my mum being alone in the car with her mum, which she did not want.

However, my old bike lives here as she is very much a pootle by the seaside type bike. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/bartonlaura/bike/43400572.jpg that I keep here for such times, though she is obviously not good for long rides. If you think my Globe is upright, you should see me on her... (NB: she has had new tyres since that picture was taken!)

So I suggested Mum and I cycle the 1.5 miles to the town centre (she has an old MTB she was given last year) rather than taking the car.

Mum hasn't cycled on the roads before  ::-) They are very quiet roads, specially compared to London.

But much shrieking ensued, she couldn't bear the few cars anywhere near her, was convinced she was going to fall off under their wheels etc, so we ended up walking the bikes half the way before she had a nervous breakdown.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #342 on: 04 May, 2008, 08:18:29 pm »
Raced a triathlon.  Overcooked the bike by getting chase-blind and going after other riders like a hound after a conveyor of foxes.  PB by a couple of minutes. :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #343 on: 04 May, 2008, 08:22:05 pm »
But she got there (and back, presumably).

I hate being away from my bikes.... :(

Oh - and well done, Andy!
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #344 on: 04 May, 2008, 09:14:53 pm »
That's great, NSTN! When Mrs. Wow returned to cycling after a very long lay-off she found it extremely hard, just the sort of stuff you are talking about. Now she's a lot better, but still prefers riding on the back of the tandem to being in charge of a machine.

Get her on a FNRttC. She'll love it. ;)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #345 on: 05 May, 2008, 09:14:59 am »
I've just got my Mum cycling again. She's nicked borrowed my rescued Rayleigh 20 to do it and pootles to the shops, college and the allotment.

« Reply #346 on: 05 May, 2008, 10:10:20 am »
She's having a good whinge today about how her sit bones hurt. 'I feel like I've been kicked by a horse' etc.

I might try her on my sit up and beg Peugeot next time, she'd find the hub gears simpler. Only thing is I can't really ride her MTB, it's tiny, I'd look like Coco the Clown with my knees out to the side!

Somehow I think FNRttC is a way off, she looked at me like she was considering getting me sectioned when I told her what I'd done  ;D

I pointed out how nice it had been not to have the parking space hassles etc, and she agreed and said she might practise a bit more in the quiet back roads.

« Reply #347 on: 05 May, 2008, 11:07:55 am »
I might try her on my sit up and beg Peugeot next time, she'd find the hub gears simpler. Only thing is I can't really ride her MTB, it's tiny, I'd look like Coco the Clown with my knees out to the side!
We want pictures NSTCoco! Have a look around for a Rayleigh 20 or Shopper. Invented for Mums, honestly.  :thumbsup:

Edit: I've had a busy day so far. 28 miles before 0900, nice it was too, cool and sunny. That was on the pompino. Then I took the Brompton out shopping for another 9 miles, warm and sunny by then. Got bitten by the Brompton, on the ankles, by the wheels at the front of the rack. I think I'll have to invest in the front luggage as hoiking a rucksack around this time of year and in this sort of weather is no fun. I'll take the Galaxy and the Rayleigh 20 out for a spin later on, mid afternoon - early evening sounds about right.
Laters,

Chris S

« Reply #348 on: 05 May, 2008, 12:51:01 pm »
5km round trip to the bottle bank to drop off some empties. My legs were very cross with the rest of me, as their post audax rest was interrupted.

Also a chance to try out my new Shimano sandals. Ugly as hell, but surprisingly comfortable. Oh, and cycling in sandals is strangely liberating, in a similar way to not wearing underwear. Not that I would know...

« Reply #349 on: 05 May, 2008, 01:37:29 pm »
Also a chance to try out my new Shimano sandals. Ugly as hell, but surprisingly comfortable. Oh, and cycling in sandals is strangely liberating, in a similar way to not wearing underwear. Not that I would know...
I always thought that the Shimano sandals were overkill on the straps. Lakes give a better tan shape and they're cheaper (if you can find them).