Author Topic: WordPress - Is it ****?  (Read 3356 times)

Re: WordPress - Is it ****?
« Reply #25 on: 15 March, 2021, 09:14:21 pm »
I haven't.

In my decades in IT I never even wrote any assembler (or equivalents for other machines). I remember COBOL  & FORTRAN, though AFAIK none of my code is still in use, not even the SQL. IIRC the last time I wrote any was some years before I was evicted from employment. ("Here's some money. Go away. You can keep the phone & the final salary pension. And yes, the big wodge will arrive after the 5th of April, so shut up about tax.")
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #26 on: 15 March, 2021, 09:35:31 pm »
That's what we get for not doing it all in machine code.
I'm probably the only one at work whose ever written assembler... And that was for a 6502.
[

Would that be the BBC Micro or one of the other Acorn offerings?  Trying to remember if that was RISC. Got a feeling it was, but it’s been 35 years or so.

BBC micro ( and Acorn Atom ) were not RISC; they were 6502 based, same as the Apple ][
I/O was memory-mapped.

The basis of my computer education!
And played the original Zork on the Apple ][ from a floppy disk!

Yes, assembler is still used today when programming real-time systems using low level microcontrollers.
That's the way we roll.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #27 on: 15 March, 2021, 09:46:51 pm »
Assembler I've used more often.  Mostly for PICs.

Davef

« Reply #28 on: 15 March, 2021, 09:47:30 pm »
I'm probably the only one at work whose ever written assembler... And that was for a 6502.
[

Would that be the BBC Micro or one of the other Acorn offerings?  Trying to remember if that was RISC. Got a feeling it was, but it’s been 35 years or so.
The 6502 did have a small instruction set compared to say the z80 which is why it was chosen. Acorn went on to produce their own risc processor the acorn risc machine or ARM which then went on to power your phone.

The BBC micro had the unusual feature that you could embed assembly language in your basic programs so machine code programming (ie typing in hexadecimal) was never really a big thing, but on z80 like the RML380Z school computer (yes one for everyone) it was. 40+ years on and I still know hex C9 is return from subroutine.

DaveJ

• Happy days
« Reply #29 on: 15 March, 2021, 09:47:45 pm »
I spent several years writing assembler for a Honeywell mainframe.  Probably the job I enjoyed most. Occasionally altering floatable code running as part of the operating system, that was "interesting".  That was back when Honeywell supplied source code.  Then they supplied object code and microfiche, and eventually it just became black box stuff like other manufacturers.

I never wrote much Cobol or Fortran, but I certainly became very familiar with the pseudo assembler that the compilers generated.  Useful when the application programmers gave upon why their programs weren't doing what they expected.  Happy days sitting there with the calculator in octal, a bunch of highlighters, and half a box of paper of memory dump.

30 years back I think.  But I've not written anything for for maybe 20 years.  Probably the last time was some kind of Basic, when the children were growing up.   

« Reply #30 on: 15 March, 2021, 09:59:18 pm »
[

The 6502 did have a small instruction set compared to say the z80 which is why it was chosen. Acorn went on to produce their own risc processor the acorn risc machine or ARM which then went on to power your phone.

The BBC micro had the unusual feature that you could embed assembly language in your basic programs so machine code programming (ie typing in hexadecimal) was never really a big thing, but on z80 like the RML380Z school computer (yes one for everyone) it was. 40+ years on and I still know hex C9 is return from subroutine.

Well before your mobile phones. BBC Archimedes is the one I was thinking of when it comes to RISC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acorn_Archimedes

Davef

« Reply #31 on: 15 March, 2021, 10:00:40 pm »
[

BBC micro ( and Acorn Atom ) were not RISC; they were 6502 based, same as the Apple ][
I/O was memory-mapped.

The basis of my computer education!
And played the original Zork on the Apple ][ from a floppy disk!

Yes, assembler is still used today when programming real-time systems using low level microcontrollers.
That's the way we roll.
The 6502 was sort of risc compared to say the z80. It had far fewer registers and operations, with nearly all operations completing in one clock tick. I think it was the start of the divergence with the intel progression to more and more complex instruction set chips.

Davef

« Reply #32 on: 15 March, 2021, 10:04:31 pm »
[

Well before your mobile phones. BBC Archimedes is the one I was thinking of when it comes to RISC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acorn_Archimedes
The chip in the Archimedes was the ARM which stood for Acorn risc machine. As the potential grew ARM was rebranded as ARM advanced risc machine. Not sure how much ARM holdings is worth now but it must be tens of billions.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #33 on: 15 March, 2021, 10:14:18 pm »
Assembler I've used more often.  Mostly for PICs.

In a previous life my grate frend Mr Woolrich used to do SCIENCE in assembler for IBM mainframes, for BA's flight planning systems.  Joak about running out of petril over the North Atlantic goes here ==>
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #34 on: 15 March, 2021, 11:45:14 pm »
I'm not a WordPress expert, far from it, though I've helped out on a couple of sites that use it. However, it seems a very workable CMS for low-end sites. Some people of course use it successfully for somewhat larger ones. Drupal and Joomla, whilst I know less about them, are more suited than WordPress to medium and large sites. Drupal in particular is used for some very large (and very active) sites indeed. I've made more use of Percussion CMS (some time ago), Sitecore and now Kentico.

CMSs are, I think, underestimated in the comments above. If you're building a decent-size site, and want consistency and the ability to write pages without knowing HTML in detail, they are the answer. The big issue is that people forget that they are for content management (the clue's in the name folks), not content creating and forgetting. If you just use them to pile in more stuff in a random fashion, you'll get a randomly-arranged site.

Afasoas

« Reply #35 on: 03 April, 2021, 11:47:22 am »
WordPress is evil because you have to manage a database, making backups essential.

My goto at the moment is GravCMS as there is no database involved. In can function in much the same way as WordPress so you can edit and configure the site in browser. And the delight of doing this means that backing up is copying a directory rather than dumping a database.

Or, you can actually commit the website to GitHub or GitLab and use something like Digital Ocean's app platform pointed directly to the repository to make the website available. It makes it very easy/simple to maintain and a backup is as simple as

Code: [Select]
git clone https://github.com/doddad/mywebsite as either a scheduled task or a cron job.

Oh and changing the footer, in my workflow, is editing a YAML file somewhere.

« Reply #36 on: 04 April, 2021, 02:06:06 pm »
I'm not sure how you'd build an effective CMS without a database. Content management is all about relationships between content, which require one really. But there are WordPress hosted systems where backups are presumably(?) managed for you.

I'm not advocating WordPress - as I said, I'm no expert on it anyway - but I'm not sure I understand those objections.

Afasoas

« Reply #37 on: 04 April, 2021, 11:10:47 pm »
I'm not sure how you'd build an effective CMS without a database. Content management is all about relationships between content, which require one really. But there are WordPress hosted systems where backups are presumably(?) managed for you.

I'm not advocating WordPress - as I said, I'm no expert on it anyway - but I'm not sure I understand those objections.

Shared/multi-tennant hosting has massive drawbacks with few good hosts out there. There's one I've had a good experience with.
A database is a collection of structured data on disk. A collection of files is not really that much different. The good databaseless CMS have tags, sections, related articles, archives and all the things you get with Wordpress. And GravCMS is so very much like wordpress sometimes I can't tell the difference.

The lack of database made it easy for me to build a deployment pipeline. Commit a change, auto-deploy to demo site. Customer can approve and push a button to deploy to the live site. Just one of the many ways not having to deal with a database affords flexibility. Not to mention, saying goodbye to backups.

Also a lot easier to move from one domain to another - with Wordpress you have to find your way around scripting updates to a slew of records.