Author Topic: Bag dilemma  (Read 5848 times)

Re: Bag dilemma
« Reply #25 on: 19 June, 2019, 09:48:36 am »
In 2015, I used a Carradice Pendle, 11 litres and everything fitted in perfectly. First issue I had was at the first stop, I bought a couple of bagguettes, one for then and one for later. I found I had no spare space for the baguette so I had to flatten it. Second issue was, I had no space to rummage in the bag and to find things, I had to take things out to give myself rummaging space but I was concerned I may lose things in the dark. And the third issue was, I must have lost a good bit of time repacking the bag correctly at checkpoints or whenever I had got stuff out or putting stuff back in, otherwise I could not fasten it but I would sooner have been able to just throw things in by having some extra space. In fact, if something broke of my bike and it was valuable and repairable, I would not have had anywhere to stash it apart from lash it to the top.

This year, I will use my Super C, pack nothing more than last time and look forward to having that extra space and its only about 300 grm heavier than the Pendle, nothing.

As for a musette, I have always carried one with me on long rides, rarely use it in the UK on Audax's as I eat at the checkpoint etc usually, but on solo rides, fill it in a supermarket and eat and drink as I ride. In PBP, it was a godsend as there could be a bit of walking as you visit the various places you need to be, check in, toilets, restaurant and maybe somewhere to sleep or rest etc. Stop at checkpoint, water bottles in it along with brevet card and small wallet, walk into checkpoint and it free's your hands up to get some food etc and do other things. Planet X at the moment is selling them for 0.99p.

bairn again

« Reply #26 on: 19 June, 2019, 01:35:37 pm »
Super C with 23l sounds a bit OTT IMHO.

My plan is to use an 11 litre Ortlieb seatpack M replacing my Carradice Super C from 2011 & 2015. 

I cant use a bagman as I need my saddle forward every mm (short arms / long legs) and find a Carradice saddlebag rack too unreliable = one big bump and its away no matter how tight.

I'm supplementing the 11 litre Ortlieb with a Madison frame bag for smaller stuff, mainly valuables.

Relative to a normal 600, for PBP I plan to additionally carry

- spare bibshorts  (Ive seen folk washing shorts at carhaix and hanging them on a tree for [edit - collection on the return leg and.....] maximum use!)
- spare socks
- a small wash bag incl travel towel. 
- a very lightweight "duvet" jacket that packs away very very small
- a musette type bag than can pack away to nowt

Relative to a normal PBP I will carry less

- inner tubes and maintenance clobber
- food 

So overall a bit more than a regular 600 but overall not much bulkier.

« Reply #27 on: 19 June, 2019, 01:41:00 pm »
After hearing the story of a TAW rider having a, err, serious biological malfunction and not carrying anything else to wear, I will be bringing spare shorts.

(If the ick factor alone weren’t enough)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #28 on: 19 June, 2019, 02:42:26 pm »
After hearing the story of a TAW rider having a, err, serious biological malfunction and not carrying anything else to wear, I will be bringing spare shorts.

The malfunction doesn't have to be biological:  If you come off the bike (in a way that ruins your shorts but not your ride) or just catch them on something sharp or something[1], it'll be desirable to have some spares that aren't full of holes.

When touring I always take 2-3 pairs, with at least two different pad designs, so I can wear something different if there are rubbing issues.

[1] I once managed to tear the crotch of some winter tights open by falling off a toilet with a wobbly seat.

« Reply #29 on: 19 June, 2019, 02:52:10 pm »
On LEL I took two jerseys and put the second one on 50 metres before the final control so I looked a little less shit (well, salty). No one noticed or cared. Lesson - one shirt.

Phil W

« Reply #30 on: 19 June, 2019, 03:22:11 pm »
The wind resistance of the big bag will be worse than its weight.

I’ve taken to using a packable backpack for carrying food and other random overflow stuff.

Great stuff, just picked up the grey / silver version in our local Decathlon.  Packs really small and might solve the challenge of how to carry stuff am eating on the recumbent.  Not very aero but will allow on the move snacking then pack away when done I hope.

BeMoreMike

• Tries often, fails frequently.
« Reply #31 on: 19 June, 2019, 03:26:40 pm »
I've been having the same dilemma, i have so many different bags and set ups i can't decide what combo will be best.

The current favourite is a Carradice SQR Tour; 1297g/16 litres. I'm thinking it'll be far too big for my kit, but the extra space for food, rummage room and not having to play Tetris every time i repack it will be invaluable.
It's only 20% heavier than my Super C Audax + Bagman but 80% more volume (1056g/9L)

However, 2nd favourite is Tourtec Ultralite rack with Arkel Tailrider and 2x5L mini panniers which comes in at 1340g/19L. This has worked well for me before, it offers loads of options for multiple pockets, better organisation and packing faff.

For shorts, i have a couple of worn out pairs i've been saving that are still just about ok for 1 more long day in the saddle that i'll bin after i've worn them. The pair i finish in will be my sunday best. 

Phil W

« Reply #32 on: 19 June, 2019, 03:32:24 pm »
Mine will be the  SuperC rack pack (15l) then either an extra pannier to carry spare clothing to Rambouillet on way done or if allowed and I opt to ride recumbent instead then I'll bring banana bags as well for the clothing either side of ride.

simonp

« Reply #33 on: 19 June, 2019, 04:22:29 pm »
I changed shorts half-way on PBP last time - I think it makes a difference to comfort. Getting round faster helps with this - on a full value 90h limit I might want 3 pairs.

« Reply #34 on: 19 June, 2019, 04:47:13 pm »
I always wear Y fronts with shorts. It's more hygienic, you don't put the tackle on display to the same extent, and you can throw them away as you go. People will tell you that the seams are a problem, but I've never found that.

I wouldn't wear bib-shorts on PBP. You don't want to be trying to find somewhere to hang your top when you find a toilet, and the 'braces' are going to trail in all manner of filth.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #35 on: 19 June, 2019, 07:29:07 pm »
I've been having the same dilemma, i have so many different bags and set ups i can't decide what combo will be best.

The current favourite is a Carradice SQR Tour; 1297g/16 litres. I'm thinking it'll be far too big for my kit, but the extra space for food, rummage room and not having to play Tetris every time i repack it will be invaluable.
It's only 20% heavier than my Super C Audax + Bagman but 80% more volume (1056g/9L)

However, 2nd favourite is Tourtec Ultralite rack with Arkel Tailrider and 2x5L mini panniers which comes in at 1340g/19L. This has worked well for me before, it offers loads of options for multiple pockets, better organisation and packing faff.

For shorts, i have a couple of worn out pairs i've been saving that are still just about ok for 1 more long day in the saddle that i'll bin after i've worn them. The pair i finish in will be my sunday best.

Arkel Tailrider is a great thing for luggage.  Current best bike doesn't suit a rack though

BeMoreMike

• Tries often, fails frequently.
« Reply #36 on: 20 June, 2019, 02:25:04 pm »

Arkel Tailrider is a great thing for luggage.  Current best bike doesn't suit a rack though

The more I use it and compare it to other rack bags the more I realise how well made and designed it is.

Would something like this work on your bike to enable you use yours ?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F223155343710

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #37 on: 20 June, 2019, 03:30:31 pm »
Brittany is about 100 miles south of Cornwall and shares similar weather.   I have carried (and worn) bib tights on each of my 3 PBPs.  2007 - 24 hours of rain with temperatures between 8C and 13C, 2015 - night temperature was about 6C as I approach Villaines.  You may be a hardy soul and comfortable with shorts or shorts + legwarmers in such circumstances.   I'm not.

For what it's worth, last PBP I had a rack and a single 20L pannier, plus a bumbag for brevet card wallet and phone - the stuff I needed at every control.   
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)