Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Audax / Re: Audax Dreams for the New Season
« Last post by Outtheback on Today at 01:56:56 pm »

A hedge or well-ventilated rural bus shelter are probably as covid-secure as you'll get.
Good luck with your season.

I agree, but you are applying cyclists logic  ;D   

My wife's concerns are multiple - hedge/bus shelter would be considered unsafe regardless of pandemic,  hotels at the moment she would consider a covid risk.  If I described PBP to her now she would have approximately 1200 unanswerable questions and go into shock. But familiarity with these things through gradually pushing the envelope is the key.  For my first 200k I had warned her days ahead I was going on a very long ride and I think she was imagining something that might take 6 or 7 hours.  Then the day before I gave her a schedule scribbled on a piece of paper and she went into a panic and got very angry. (But that was better than the panic and anger 2 weeks before and 2 weeks of daily fretting and questions about it).  On the ride I sent her photos via whatsapp from the points on the schedule and that kept her happy.  Now 200s are accepted as achievable and not a cause of undue stress (but whatsapps still required) .  December ride will introduce the idea of leaving and returning in pitch blackness.  The overnight accommodation thing will be the big step for her if the whole covid thing has not improved by next summer.  I know many people are much more relaxed now about covid but not everyone.   
The Pub / Re: Power cut
« Last post by Jaded on Today at 01:55:53 pm »
I think we were quite localised, but there were definitely other outages nearby.

The first long power cut we've had here, in the 20 plus years we have lived here. I grew up with frequent power cuts, ss it is interesting how much more dependent we have become on electricity, and how soft, too!
The Pub / Re: Power cut
« Last post by fboab on Today at 01:44:00 pm »
We’ve got fun here, apparently a transformer has blown up. Might not be fixed until tomorrow.

At least we have a gas hob, eveything else is electric. Its going to be cold and dark!
Presumably this is the same power cut that No1Daughter has suffered while house-sitting her dad's place in Kemble.

Cue lots of pictures of daughter & 2 dogs under blankets for the weekend.

She had a cache battery for her phone thanks to the train journey to get there. And everything is electric- oil fired heating doesn't operate without the electric pump..
The Pub / Re: Music you can’t stand
« Last post by Efrogwr on Today at 01:42:09 pm »
I used to dream of being trapped in a snowbound pub in Yorkshire (as long as the house band*was there)

* Back Door.
Further and Faster / Re: Zwifting - I think I need help!
« Last post by drossall on Today at 01:38:01 pm »
Really weird one yesterday. I signed up for a group ride of just over 20 miles. After about five miles or so, the entire remainder of the field vanished (into the ether, not up the road as usual!) I was left as the only rider on the name board as well. So I did the remaining fifteen miles on my own. With a mile to go, all the names came back. I still couldn't see anyone, but there was no-one within 30 seconds of me anyway, either in front or behind, which probably explains that.

Bit of a washout as a group ride, even if the ride itself was OK.
OT Knowledge / Re: Tube or starter?
« Last post by Feanor on Today at 01:36:58 pm »
I have 3 five-foot flourescent lights here: two in the garage, and one in the utility room.

Some 5 plus years ago, the ones in the garage began to play up and fail to start, particularly in the cold.
New tubes didn't fix them.

So I replaced all the gubbins with electronic control gear.
The electronic modules were simple to wire in: L+N in, then a pair of wires to each end of the tube.
I ripped out all the magnetic ballasts, and starters and scrapped them.
This has worked flawlessly ever since.

I have my doubts that LED drop-in replacement tubes would play well with the electronic control gear.
I suspect they are designed to be drop-in replacements for fittings with traditional magnetic ballast / starters.
But the fittings themselves are now yellowed with age, and look like they did 10 years service on the roof of a linoleum-floored pub from the days when smoking was mandatory.

So now I'm looking at Aidan's cpc link.
The Pub / Re: Black Friday - who's buying?
« Last post by fboab on Today at 01:36:36 pm »
It wasn't a card for me, it was for a Young Person.
The Young Person required the Railcard for a trip to their out-laws. The trains were Arwen-ed off both directions and they had to get the bus.  :facepalm:

[Tenuous claim to fame - my son attended the same Ceilidh as Jack Hughman's sisters at the weekend.]

The Pub / Re: Tune Association
« Last post by CAMRAMan on Today at 01:29:04 pm »
Friday Night & the Gates Are Low - Half Man Half Biscuit
Health & Fitness / Re: Cross Training: Rowing
« Last post by mrcharly-YHT on Today at 01:26:21 pm »
I rowed a boat yesterday. First time ever.

It was a half-sized Sgoth (pronounced 'skol').

Winds were light, so we rowed it out of the harbour and back again later.

Keeping rhythm with the other rower was harder than I expected - they seemed to be taking much faster strokes than myself and I had trouble keeping in synch (my stroke might have been longer I guess). My dodge left hand didn't like it much and I had trouble gripping the oar.

Was fun and I look forward to having another go when the boats are out.
Is that like these?

Those are lightweight rowing skiffs.

The sgoith is a traditional fishing boat, quite a bit beamier and heavier, with the full sized version about 25-40ft. I've sailed one of those, it is hard work and needs a crew of 5.

The half-sgoith is still a fishing boat, just 17ft long. Five people on board wasn't crowded. Could be crewed with 3 at minimum, 4 is decent.

The group here have sailed the full-sized sgoith up to Orkney.
I rode my velomobile to work today as the car was so frosty I thought it would take ages to defrost (it's a Smart Cabrio so not exactly well insulated). If it had been raining then the evaluation would have provided a different result!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10