Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
I read your description as being that you thought I was meaning the lever that operates the actual locking mechanism in the door.
Ah, I see.  I haven't seen one of them before. 
The Pub / Re: What have you fettled today?
« Last post by Polar Bear on Today at 03:10:50 pm »
Replaced the kitchen mixer with an identical one.

To be more specific, I only actually replaced the portion above the sink top.  The reason?  One of the ceramic cartridges is leaking and no amount of brute force has facilitated removal.  We just happen to have an identical mixer awaiting installation in the downstairs loo over the imitation Butler's sink.  Once the isolators beneath the sink were turned all I needed to do was undo two small allen head screws and gently persuade the head unit to part company with the base. 

All the clanking, banging and whistling emanating from the plumbing has mercifully ceased.
The Pub / Re: What have you fettled today?
« Last post by hubner on Today at 03:06:50 pm »
Stronglite A9 headset with needle roller bearings: has been stiff to turn for a few years, I even adjust it loose.

I thought it was because the lower race was fouling on the front brake (Campagnolo Super Record, which is installed with extra washers to move it forward of the lower race). I filed  the brake to make more space and the headset did seem to loosen up but became very stiif again.

I then noticed what looks like dried old grease coming out of the lower race, I didn't have any grease or headset tools on me so I turned the bike upside and dripped some oil into the headset and left it overnight.

It turns normally now.

Having said all that, I haven't regreased it since it was installed about 15 years.
I'm living up to my name on the horizontalism, what threw me was the more traditional style yale key in the image, night-latch barrels still do it vertically.

The extra bit I'm talking about is

It doesn't move, so if your previous lock does not have it, then since the hole in the door will be shaped for a cylinder without it, you've going to need to make a gap for it.

Edit to add:  It seems to be a Yale thing, by making sure I didn't file the final layer of the door it means the lock barrel can only come into the house, but I'm not sure if that's the real intent of it.
ERA don't do this.
https://www.erahomesecurity.com/security-products/window-and-door-security/3-star-door-cylinders/
The most likely thing to complicate the process is differences in lock barrel profile, a lot of the newer ones with 3 star security ratings have a lump sticking out the side, you'll probably have to adjust the shape of the hole in your door to allow for that, just needs a file and an extra supply of swear words.

D'oh, silly me.  I quoted the wrong post earlier so have deleted that one.  😊

That "lump" is I believe simply rotated to be  aligned with the rest of the lock body using the key when inserting the mechanism into the door.  Usually the lock being removed has a similar "lump" which needs aligning to facilitate removal.

I hope that I have understood this correctly.

The Pub / Re: Knoydart community set to buy their 'local'
« Last post by FifeingEejit on Today at 03:03:36 pm »
Having heard about the place from friends who were in DURC back when I was at uni (this coincided up with a period of lack of interest in hillwalking) and also back before JP bought it, it seems the rot is very much down to JP and not the "double denim" crew.
The Pub / Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Last post by rogerzilla on Today at 03:02:16 pm »
I've just bought a 1964 Moulton Speed for £70 and £3.20 postage.  The alloy mudguards alone make it worth having.

I think I might never see this one, but it was worth a punt.  Ebay, so totally safe if the seller won't ship.
It was a newbie mistake, of course.  I said he can ship it (he'll still make money) or issue a refund.  No response yet.  I would rather like it.
The Pub / Re: Tune Association
« Last post by Séamas M. on Today at 02:59:26 pm »
Carrickfergus - The Chieftains

RIP Paddy Moloney  :'(
Last night while walking to a local eatery we heard what sounded like it might have been a male tawny owl in need of some cough lozenges. It did the 'whoo' but it was pretty scratchy as well.
Could have been a fox I suppose. Intrigued...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10