Author Topic: Penny Farthing Spectacular  (Read 10125 times)

Penny Farthing Spectacular
« on: 18 June, 2017, 08:32:48 pm »
I went to this event at The British Ironwork Centre near Oswestry today with my 1946 Hetchins.
It was an interesting free alternative to Eroica with a good number of Ordinaries, old time Safetys and some more modern ironmongery. There was a Hobby Horse, a Pedersen, a Crypto-Bantam, lots of trikes, three Hetchins, and many, many other machines.
The majority of riders were (as far as I could tell) Veteran Cycle Club members - which is where I picked it up from.
The day was intended to be based around a series of 1 and 2 mile races - which quickly fell apart - trying to organise cyclists is one thing, getting them to be in the right place at the right time is another! The track - which should have been all Tarmac was partly gravel - and quite unpleasant; apparently it should have been surfaced, but the contractors had let the site owner down. It was also extremely hot today. In the end there were some 'races' organised by bike type, but as far as I could tell there were no prizes as such. Every participant got a free tee-shirt and a (cheap) medal (as well as a free sandwich, drink, and tiny ice cream).
The organiser admitted that holding this on the same weekend as Eroica was 'daft'. But, there was - in my view - more really old stuff here (Ordinaries and things like Rover Safetys) than you'd get at Eroica (plus I gather that Eroica isn't trike friendly?).
It was a very friendly bunch of people there - I got to try a Pedersen and attempted to mount a Penny Farthing (scary)
I'm sure it'll be back next year on a different weekend, with somewhat better organisation of riders.

Tapatalk puts this signature here, not me!
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Re: Penny Farthing Spectacular
« Reply #1 on: 18 June, 2017, 08:52:31 pm »
That sounds very interesting. i'll look out for it next year (so long as they don't move it to York rally weekend! ;D)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #2 on: 18 June, 2017, 08:55:00 pm »
I have only attended a couple of VCC events and both were pretty marvellous and good fun tbh.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 18 June, 2017, 08:58:58 pm »
I'd looked at joining in this year but other things got in the way. It sounds like I should put it in the diary for next year.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...