Author Topic: ACME Anvil Winter Series  (Read 118990 times)

Re: ACME Anvil Winter Series
« Reply #600 on: 03 December, 2021, 09:39:35 am »
Weather forecast for tomorrow has been all over the show through this week. Currently predicting a bit of rain first thing, but mostly clear through the day. Nice tailwind coming back from Stansted.

Warm layers appear to be well advised. I'm looking forward to finishing the calendar ride with a beer and curry, fueling up the headwind slog home again.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

felstedrider

« Reply #601 on: 03 December, 2021, 09:48:57 am »
Weather forecast for tomorrow has been all over the show through this week. Currently predicting a bit of rain first thing, but mostly clear through the day. Nice tailwind coming back from Stansted.

Warm layers appear to be well advised. I'm looking forward to finishing the calendar ride with a beer and curry, fueling up the headwind slog home again.

My ECE has got me going all over the shop.   Never that far from home, though.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #602 on: 03 December, 2021, 10:21:14 am »
Yes, looking forward to it, I think I'll be on the mucky bike though rather than shiny recumbent and will be throwing all my warm gear in the back of the car just in case. 
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #603 on: 03 December, 2021, 01:38:53 pm »
Yes, I've just been out into town, and the roads are getting a bit dirty. I think my nice bike is going away for the winter and I'll bring out the fixed.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #604 on: 03 December, 2021, 02:04:51 pm »

Bit breezy, bit cold, maybe see the big yellow thing in the sky at some point? No two-foot deep floods, or icy start like last year though - and a cosy pub at the finish, not a draughty car park! See you all tomorrow.  :thumbsup:

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #605 on: 03 December, 2021, 02:20:59 pm »
Entries closed: so I can print out a ton of paperwork now, as I'm out tonight after work. Last-minute boarding passes for the Stansted Airport Express may be available on request ...

« Reply #606 on: 03 December, 2021, 05:07:56 pm »
I can't make it tomorrow because I'm soft and looked at the forecast I have to start getting things ready for an 18th Birthday party and Birthday and Christmas present shopping...I hate December!

« Reply #607 on: 03 December, 2021, 05:24:29 pm »
Looks like we'll be passing the Leaden Rodings cycle jumble again. Have you thought of making it a control? Shall I take my trailer? ;D

« Reply #608 on: 03 December, 2021, 08:04:00 pm »
I’m also going to be a no-show tomorrow as I’m now needed for dad’s cab duties in the morning  :(

ElyDave

« Reply #609 on: 03 December, 2021, 08:57:44 pm »
I’m also going to be a no-show tomorrow as I’m now needed for dad’s cab duties in the morning  :(

Daughter's ballet classes this evening, and tomorrow. I said I'd take her this evening.
"What about tomorrow?"

"You also have a mother"

« Reply #610 on: 03 December, 2021, 09:18:15 pm »
Daughter's ballet classes this evening, and tomorrow. I said I'd take her this evening.
"What about tomorrow?"

"You also have a mother"
;D

Sadly in my case, there are more kids than parents so I don’t always have that option!

« Reply #611 on: 04 December, 2021, 06:14:30 pm »
First time riding the SAE and enjoyed it. Well done organisers and lots of friendly riders as usual for an ACME event!

I found a packed up packable jacket on the road out on the route in the middle of nowhere. May not belong to any of today’s riders but if anyone has lost one then happy to post it to you if you want to get in touch.

ElyDave

« Reply #612 on: 04 December, 2021, 07:22:21 pm »
As always, winter series is great to give you a reason to get out in the depths of ICBA months, but that was hard work for the first half out there today.  My average at Thremall was 25.3, by the time I was back at Witham it was 26.8, so average on the way back was over 28kmh.

I may fall asleep on the sofa before I get much guitar practice in tonight

« Reply #613 on: 04 December, 2021, 08:03:39 pm »
Thanks to the organisers for another well run event with a well designed route.

...that was hard work for the first half out there today.

It was even harder repeating the first third of the route to get home.  The wind was noticeably stronger and colder.

« Reply #614 on: 04 December, 2021, 08:05:43 pm »
I found a packed up packable jacket on the road out on the route in the middle of nowhere. May not belong to any of today’s riders but if anyone has lost one then happy to post it to you if you want to get in touch.

Lightweight, red in colour?  If so, could be mine.

ElyDave

« Reply #615 on: 04 December, 2021, 08:19:44 pm »
Thanks to the organisers for another well run event with a well designed route.

...that was hard work for the first half out there today.

It was even harder repeating the first third of the route to get home.  The wind was noticeably stronger and colder.

Yes, by the time I'd got home it was definitely stronger

felstedrider

« Reply #616 on: 04 December, 2021, 08:25:21 pm »
ECEd with a 50k loop each way.  Easy loop one to the start.  Just after the info control that wasn’t I had a front spoke ping.  The wheel still spun and I was 5k from home so a detour ensued to nick a wheel off the other fixed bike and have a quick snack.

Ended up chasing my tail a bit and didn’t eat enough.  Quick break at the finish and a push back into the wind which was harder than I thought it would be.  Knackered now and I think I will feel it tomorrow.

Thanks to Tomsk and team for organising.

« Reply #617 on: 04 December, 2021, 09:59:48 pm »

Lightweight, red in colour?  If so, could be mine.

Sounds like the one. I’ll drop you a message.

« Reply #618 on: 04 December, 2021, 10:21:36 pm »
Just after the info control that wasn’t I had a front spoke ping.  The wheel still spun and I was 5k from home so a detour ensued to nick a wheel off the other fixed bike and have a quick snack.
Glad you got it sorted. I was on the green Pompino fixed and with you when it went.

It was a bit hard for the first third. Good day though - sunny apart from a bit at lunch time. Enjoyed the ride.

« Reply #619 on: 10 January, 2022, 01:09:09 pm »
I've got my ECE planned for the Kelvedon Oyster, using gritted roads in the morning. Currently the forecast is looking a bit chilly, but largely dry.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #620 on: 10 January, 2022, 01:12:22 pm »
I am really missing these rides but not up to riding to and from home, and not happy to use the train at the moment. Roll on next year....

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #621 on: 10 January, 2022, 01:14:03 pm »
I've got my ECE planned for the Kelvedon Oyster, using gritted roads in the morning. Currently the forecast is looking a bit chilly, but largely dry.

I'm planning on extending the Oyster too.  I shall ride between Witham and Kelvedon as opposed to taking the train  ;D

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #622 on: 10 January, 2022, 01:15:06 pm »
I could manage that!

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #623 on: 10 January, 2022, 01:19:54 pm »
I could manage that!

I might not!  It'll be a c75 mile day which is more than I have done in a looooooooong time!

« Reply #624 on: 10 January, 2022, 01:34:18 pm »
I could manage that!

I might not!  It'll be a c75 mile day which is more than I have done in a looooooooong time!

It's less than 7km for you to get to the start. You could do that blindfolded!