Author Topic: Is This The End Of Retail?  (Read 64751 times)

Re: Is This The End Of Retail?
« Reply #350 on: 22 April, 2020, 09:03:24 pm »
... but Amazon are kicking ass more than ever before. Sadly.
...and have also just bought a chunk of Deliveroo, to bail them out.  They've been trying to do so for months but the competition rules were in the way, they've apparently been put aside.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/apr/17/amazon-investment-in-deliveroo-cleared-by-uk-watchdog

« Reply #351 on: 22 April, 2020, 09:26:01 pm »
I am prepared to give a certain amount of leeway to physical shops in not having the exact variant of product I'm after.
e.g. cycle products. Years ago I wanted a new derailleur - went into JE James, not the smallest most independent cycle shop in the world. Asked for a 10 speed, low normal, short cage, shimano, MTB, rear mech.
No.
OK, forget low normal. Have you got any 10 speed, short cage, shimano mechs?
No, sorry.
OK, have you got any 10 speed, shimano mechs?
Doesn't look like it.
Have you got any shimano mechs at all?
er... no.

About 6 years ago, probably even worse now.
I'd personally be prepared to go to an actual physical shop if they had a reasonable range - after all, sometimes with amazon you get too much choice. But the range of products in physical shops diminishes to just the ones with the most margin purely because of the rise in online shops, so it's not just because online is more convenient. It's just not possible any more.

To an extent I’d suggest that it’s also partially about the manufacturers of bike kit riding the wave of new riders. They continually “ improve”, new model each year, poor backwards compatibility, combined with a new interest in “ tech”.
When I started in the 60s a Bike would be current for over 10 years. Campag gears lasted for ever, and if you’d crashed a new one would work fine.
Now, as for your Shimano rear mech there are a big number of variables over the last 5 years. Stock in a shop loses money fast, and there’s usually a huge penalty for the shop if an order isn’t a minimum value. Lots of shops order from Wiggle.
As has been said, the future is in service. Whereas in my youth having your bike mended, let alone “ serviced” in a shop would have been a matter of shame. Many of today’s riders see this as normal.
Shops that get this can thrive, but hanging onto a 2005 part just in case, isn’t business sensible.

« Reply #352 on: 22 April, 2020, 09:33:26 pm »
Local businesses are finding that running an online business is not as easy as it appears.
I've attempted to support local companies (garden centre, food suppliers) who were all saying 'send us an email saying what you want from this list and we'll get back to you with a delivery date' : zilch, nada.

(A pub kitchen in a nearby village seems to have cracked it, small menu on Facebook , phone your order, pick it up in 30 minutes, no mucking about with deliveroo etc.)

There seems to be a niche for a turnkey online ordering & fulfilment system for (very) small businesses.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Ben T

« Reply #353 on: 22 April, 2020, 11:55:18 pm »

To an extent I’d suggest that it’s also partially about the manufacturers of bike kit riding the wave of new riders. They continually “ improve”, new model each year, poor backwards compatibility, combined with a new interest in “ tech”.
When I started in the 60s a Bike would be current for over 10 years. Campag gears lasted for ever, and if you’d crashed a new one would work fine.
Now, as for your Shimano rear mech there are a big number of variables over the last 5 years. Stock in a shop loses money fast, and there’s usually a huge penalty for the shop if an order isn’t a minimum value. Lots of shops order from Wiggle.
As has been said, the future is in service. Whereas in my youth having your bike mended, let alone “ serviced” in a shop would have been a matter of shame. Many of today’s riders see this as normal.
Shops that get this can thrive, but hanging onto a 2005 part just in case, isn’t business sensible.

Yeah. I agree: apart from the implication that I was after some legacy part: in 2012, 10 speed was current. I wasn't after a 2005 part.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #354 on: 23 April, 2020, 09:37:41 am »
Just heard that as of five weeks ago, the amount of all UK retail done online was only 10%. This compares to about 50% in China, which is apparently the world leader in this regard. Obviously both those figures will be higher now.
Turns out the 10% was for food. In fashion it was already more like 25%. Don't know about other goods. Still way below China, obviously.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #355 on: 23 April, 2020, 09:43:20 am »
Local businesses are finding that running an online business is not as easy as it appears.
I've attempted to support local companies (garden centre, food suppliers) who were all saying 'send us an email saying what you want from this list and we'll get back to you with a delivery date' : zilch, nada.

(A pub kitchen in a nearby village seems to have cracked it, small menu on Facebook , phone your order, pick it up in 30 minutes, no mucking about with deliveroo etc.)

There seems to be a niche for a turnkey online ordering & fulfilment system for (very) small businesses.

Our local pub did try deliveries (though they tried to do it themselves. Having failed to solve P vs NP, they've now they've gone to a takeaway model.

To be honest though, I think a lot of places that tried to be online in the early days have shut their doors now, having discovered the effort wasn't worth the margin. The future isn't looking bright if you're not Amazon.

« Reply #356 on: 23 April, 2020, 11:30:32 am »
Our local pub did try deliveries (though they tried to do it themselves. Having failed to solve P vs N, they've now they've gone to a takeaway model.

To be honest though, I think a lot of places that tried to be online in the early days have shut their doors now, having discovered the effort wasn't worth the margin. The future isn't looking bright if you're not Amazon.

I am finding the opposite.  my veg now comes from a small supplier who was just starting 5 weeks ago selling from an allotment/smallholding.  They are now supplying 4-5 villages doing deliveries 3 days a week.

My meat comes from an online butcher as does my wine and beer.  The local microbrewery is doing deliveries of various beers which change weekly.

our cafe is doing afternoon teas by delivery and our ironing company is again doing collections and deliveries (he is at 50% capacity).

The veg box is building a website as they move from facebook and email ad payment is by BACS.  The local independent pubs between them have a curry night, pizza night, fish and chips and Sunday lunch.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #357 on: 23 April, 2020, 12:31:11 pm »
Our local pub (well, local in the sense that it's the nearest and for many people it is their local default venue, meeting place, drinking place, eating place and music place, though it's not a place I go to myself) is doing takeout beer; queue at the door on marked 2m footprints. Guessing wildly, pubs that function as centres with devoted clientele are more likely to be able to do this kind of thing; pubs that are simply drinking barns have nothing to offer over supermarket booze.

ian

« Reply #358 on: 23 April, 2020, 12:40:51 pm »
Our local (it isn't really, but it's a short bus hop away) does crafty beers, I can't see people queuing for a takeaway of Fosters.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #359 on: 23 April, 2020, 02:19:52 pm »
That's also true.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #360 on: 23 April, 2020, 05:35:11 pm »
Just heard that as of five weeks ago, the amount of all UK retail done online was only 10%. This compares to about 50% in China, which is apparently the world leader in this regard. Obviously both those figures will be higher now.

Funnily enough...

The client I work for at the moment is a high street retailer. Before lockdown, 10% of their trade was online. Last week it peaked at 50%.

It's currently around 30%. Probably would be more but they're struggling to keep up with demand, which has grown well beyond their capacity. I've heard that senior management are having to help out in customer services. Also having to field a lot of complaints about unfulfilled orders...
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #361 on: 23 April, 2020, 05:42:43 pm »
I love the idea of the CEO getting ranted at on the end of the phone line.

« Reply #362 on: 23 April, 2020, 08:28:24 pm »
I love the idea of the CEO getting ranted at on the end of the phone line.

I love the idea of being able to get through to the CEO on a telephone line!
Move Faster and Bake Things

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #363 on: 24 April, 2020, 09:38:07 am »
My work has a Farm Shop, they're doing Phone Orders. This is despite us having a full EPOS solution that is already integrated with web ordering. I'm literally a web link away from us going live - but it makes the middle management's head go all melty so it's not going to happen "until we're back to normal". Which, of course, will be far too late. I'm a tad frustrated.
Everyone's favourite windbreak

« Reply #364 on: 24 April, 2020, 01:59:42 pm »
The company I work for sells ERP systems to retailers.
Part of it has just gone into administration. :(

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #365 on: 28 April, 2020, 07:15:02 pm »
Our EPOS suppliers are feeling the pinch too :(
Everyone's favourite windbreak

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #366 on: 07 May, 2020, 11:49:30 am »
Target Australia is reporting sales "larger than Christmas" in its reopened stores. (They followed this up by reiterating the importance of social distancing in these busier than ever stores – because local outbreaks will cause state governments to close shops again... )

« Reply #367 on: 27 June, 2020, 10:30:31 am »
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #368 on: 27 June, 2020, 03:59:21 pm »
The physical retail experience lags far behind what technology is capable of providing as an experience.

At the moment, to me, it's about as enticing as a day trip to Bournemouth beach on the hottest day of the year during a pandemic.  But hey, that's just me.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #369 on: 30 June, 2020, 09:39:11 pm »
No one going into the office anymore  ....  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53242719   Coronavirus: TM Lewin to close all UK shops

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #370 on: 29 September, 2021, 06:29:43 pm »
Ribble open a new bike shop.
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/whats-on/shopping/mall-cribbs-causeway-bristol-welcome-5987560
British bicycle brand Ribble Cycles chose The Mall for its fifth showroom, alongside Bluewater, Nottingham, Birmingham and its Lancashire flagship.

Ribble Cycles is showcasing a selection of bikes from its award-winning range and offering a immersive customer experience with hopes of strong sales in the lead up to Christmas.

David Stacey, Commercial Director, Ribble Cycles says: “Opening our showroom doors in Bristol’s ever-popular The Mall at Cribbs Causeway is such an exciting statement for the brand and testament to the success of our retail strategy and portfolio roll-out plan.

“The Mall is a destination shopping centre with easy access and great transport links, high consumer footfall and resident premium global brands that share our values. Furthermore, Bristol and the South West have such a strong cycling legacy and heritage that aligns perfectly with our brand vision and strong existing regional consumer base - all prime considerations for when opening a state of the art Ribble Showroom and showcasing Ribble Cycles to the South West and beyond.”

The Mall at Cribbs Causeway is home to 153 shops and restaurants and employs over 6,000 people.
This does not encourage me to get anything from Ribble, and if I should want anything from them, I'm probably more likely to buy it online than trek out to Cribbs Causeway and endure soul destruction by mall.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #371 on: 10 January, 2022, 02:07:03 pm »
Why is retail dead? Because of cyclists! Of course...
Kevin Hill was among the readers who wrote a letter to the Bristol Post about the closure of M&S, predicting that it would be "the end of Broadmead".

He wrote: "I am surprised they lasted this long with the way this council and previous administrations pushed the bike revolution by effectively banishing cars from the centre.

"So here we are in 2022 and the bike revolution is finished. We have buses but no drivers, and the car owners have found free parking and undercover shopping outside of Bristol.

"Good work South Gloucestershire Council for the Mall and countless other developments."
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/ms-broadmead-closure-blamed-bristols-6465432

« Reply #372 on: 10 January, 2022, 07:33:14 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/jan/09/do-smart-supermarkets-herald-the-end-of-shopping-as-we-know-it

"There are no checkouts (self-scanning or traditional), no checkout assistants, and – in theory – no chance of shoplifting. This Tesco, called GetGo, is filled with thousands of cameras, weighted shelves and artificial-intelligence technology that watches your every move, figures out what you’ve bought and bills you directly as you walk out."

The future of shopping, and an end to the jobs many people rely on to make ends meet.   

What are these new Amazon 4 Star places about ?  There is one planned for the Liverpool One shopping centre  sorry, "Retail Experience" ,  near me. 

ian

« Reply #373 on: 11 January, 2022, 09:30:06 am »
It's a really weird name, 'Four Star' suggests it's a bit average, it does sound like a curiously British retail experience. It's alright. Not bad.

I've mentioned it before, but once upon a time I idling aways some time in an event queue and the woman in front of me had a tattoo of five stars on the back of her neck, of which only one was filled, like she'd given herself a one-star review. I'm not sure if that was brutal self-honesty, an ironic statement, she'd upset the tattooist, or she'd run out of money for the additional ink required to give herself a better review.

« Reply #374 on: 11 January, 2022, 09:42:53 am »
It's a really weird name, 'Four Star' suggests it's a bit average, it does sound like a curiously British retail experience. It's alright. Not bad.

I've mentioned it before, but once upon a time I idling aways some time in an event queue and the woman in front of me had a tattoo of five stars on the back of her neck, of which only one was filled, like she'd given herself a one-star review. I'm not sure if that was brutal self-honesty, an ironic statement, she'd upset the tattooist, or she'd run out of money for the additional ink required to give herself a better review.

Perhaps she'd just started work at McDonalds?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)