Author Topic: modern life is rubbish  (Read 12891 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Моя планета голубая, я люблю тебя и обнимаю
Re: modern life is rubbish
« Reply #150 on: 01 September, 2021, 05:42:33 pm »
https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/2021/07/russian-discounter-mere-confirms-opening-date-for-first-uk-store/

Founded 2009. I'd hazard that more changed in Russia between 1990 and 2009 than between 1953 and 1990. They seem to be stocking Western brands, which might be disappointing to some.
Riding a bike through a city is like navigating the collective neural pathways of a vast global mind.

« Reply #151 on: 03 September, 2021, 12:31:08 pm »
NX buses are working a paperless 'pretend your bank card is an oyster card' whereby you can only confirm what you've paid by checking your bank account later. I guess ticket checkers are an extinct profession ::-)

ian

• not a woman, not an american, not a vampire
« Reply #152 on: 03 September, 2021, 12:47:14 pm »
NX buses are working a paperless 'pretend your bank card is an oyster card' whereby you can only confirm what you've paid by checking your bank account later. I guess ticket checkers are an extinct profession ::-)

TfL does this (you can tie your contactless card or device to an Oyster account and get a journey and payment history, but it's optional).

Revenue inspectors, as I believe they're now called, can still check during the journey that the card has been used.
Authoritarian Thought Leader, the Pol Pot of Powerpoint, the Stalin of Spreadsheets

« Reply #153 on: 03 September, 2021, 02:17:03 pm »
Isnt' it odd that these days improving efficiency usually means taking something away from the end user, rather than adding value for them in some way?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

archy

• once asterix
« Reply #154 on: 03 September, 2021, 04:12:43 pm »
https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/2021/07/russian-discounter-mere-confirms-opening-date-for-first-uk-store/

Founded 2009. I'd hazard that more changed in Russia between 1990 and 2009 than between 1953 and 1990. They seem to be stocking Western brands, which might be disappointing to some.

Read a report that on assuming power Putin was horrified to discover how dependent Russia was on imports for its food supply.  Since then he has turned the situation round to the extent that Russia is now able to export a considerable proportion of its farm produce. 

It went on to describe how Russia's vast land area and sparse population would be to its advantage as the climate changed since produce could be grown in formerly impossible regions. Emphasis is also being shifted gradually away from dependence on fossil fuel exports.

This was in the FT this morning but i don't have the link now.
what man calls civilization
always results in deserts