Author Topic: Science that makes you cringe  (Read 49557 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Science that makes you cringe
« Reply #175 on: 30 September, 2021, 11:08:40 pm »
It’s still woo though.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #176 on: 01 October, 2021, 10:28:13 am »
The Infinite Monkey Cage - Series 11 - When Quantum Goes Woo

Brian Cox and Robin Ince are joined on stage by Bad Science author, Ben Goldacre, Professor of Particle Physics at Manchester University, Jeff Forshaw, and comedian Sara Pascoe. They'll be looking at why quantum physics, in particular, seems to attract some of the more fringe elements of pseudoscience and alternative medicine, and whether there is anything about the frankly weird quantum behaviour of particles, like the ability to seemingly be in two places at once, that really can be applied to the human condition. When spiritual healers and gurus talk about our own quantum energy and the power of quantum healing, is it simply a metaphor, or is there more to this esoteric branch of science that we could all learn from?

Particles aren't in two places at once they are in an every possible place they could be. And they aren't actually particles they are vibrations in a field. They act like particles when they finally interact with each other.

After reading that brain-bender I need to lie down in a darkened room!

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #177 on: 01 October, 2021, 10:48:53 am »
I'm just practicing aligning my particles to empty spaces so I can walk though walls.

I'll let you know when my head stops hurting
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ian

« Reply #178 on: 01 October, 2021, 11:21:23 am »

Brian Cox and Robin Ince are joined on stage by Bad Science author, Ben Goldacre, Professor of Particle Physics at Manchester University, Jeff Forshaw, and comedian Sara Pascoe. They'll be looking at why quantum physics, in particular, seems to attract some of the more fringe elements of pseudoscience and alternative medicine, and whether there is anything about the frankly weird quantum behaviour of particles, like the ability to seemingly be in two places at once, that really can be applied to the human condition. When spiritual healers and gurus talk about our own quantum energy and the power of quantum healing, is it simply a metaphor, or is there more to this esoteric branch of science that we could all learn from?

Particles aren't in two places at once they are in an every possible place they could be. And they aren't actually particles they are vibrations in a field. They act like particles when they finally interact with each other.

Basically, they aren't particles or waves, they're just metaphors for how they behave under specified conditions (similarly with spin, colour charge and other fancy aspects of quantum unreality). We just don't have an understanding or description of what they really are or even if they really are. It's all rather complicated. Wait till you learn about the fact a lot of matter is made out of things that only exist virtually.

« Reply #179 on: 01 October, 2021, 11:27:56 am »

So they are in two places at once - and also everywhere else.  Just like a four-legged table has three legs... and a fourth.  ;)
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

« Reply #180 on: 01 October, 2021, 12:13:51 pm »

Basically, they aren't particles or waves, they're just metaphors for how they behave under specified conditions (similarly with spin, colour charge and other fancy aspects of quantum unreality). We just don't have an understanding or description of what they really are or even if they really are. It's all rather complicated. Wait till you learn about the fact a lot of matter is made out of things that only exist virtually.

I was just starting to pull myself together; then I read this...

The wave/particle conundrum has fascined me for half a century.

« Reply #181 on: 01 October, 2021, 12:19:11 pm »
... and now for a real post!

this seems to me (Fine Art graduate) to be the best thread for this, but I suspect that it's a mathematical/topological thing.

Clothes made of wonder fabrics with (first) three way stretch,  and, now four(!) way stretch.

« Reply #182 on: 01 October, 2021, 12:47:08 pm »
The wave/particle conundrum has fascined me for half a century.

There isn't really a conundrum. Waves are a useful approximation of the behaviour of particles at a large scale. Lots of photons emitting from a source behave like a wave but a single photon doesn't.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

ian

« Reply #183 on: 01 October, 2021, 12:54:43 pm »
Ah, but that's not really true. A single-photon does have wave properties. The dual slit experiment simply forces photons to behave as waves or particles. It's the nature of the observation that determines whether we see a wave or a particle (whereas the reality is probably neither, and certainly not something we have a description for).

« Reply #184 on: 01 October, 2021, 01:25:47 pm »
Strictly speaking surely, if we don't know what they are (and I agree that we don't), we can't really say what they aren't either. They behave like both particles (things with very specific locations and dimensions) and waves (coherent phenomena but spread out over considerable areas) at the same time is about as near as we can get. And, as you say, they do that even if you reduce the amount of light so much that there is only one photon (particle) present. The sea is lots of molecules (particles) making waves together, of course; it's as though you reduced the entire ocean to one molecule of water, and still got the faint marks of waves left on the beach.

Not that that is remotely helpful in picturing what they might be!

ian

« Reply #185 on: 01 October, 2021, 02:33:38 pm »
Indeed, the closer you look at reality, the odder it becomes.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #186 on: 01 October, 2021, 02:56:27 pm »
Especially before lunchtime.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #187 on: 01 October, 2021, 04:48:15 pm »
Quarks are weird. Don't tell them, but they are.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #188 on: 01 October, 2021, 06:13:16 pm »
Especially the strange ones.

« Reply #189 on: 01 October, 2021, 06:15:28 pm »
They do have an up side though

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #190 on: 01 October, 2021, 06:16:47 pm »
I could get down with that.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #191 on: 01 October, 2021, 06:26:49 pm »
I've always found the concept rather charming.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #192 on: 01 October, 2021, 09:25:22 pm »
I've always found quarks to be a bit cheesey
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ian

« Reply #193 on: 01 October, 2021, 09:30:06 pm »
They tryst with their virtual selves by exchanging gluons. If that's not a euphemism, I don't know what is.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #194 on: 01 October, 2021, 09:34:00 pm »
I've always found the concept rather charming.

Very good!

« Reply #195 on: 02 October, 2021, 11:23:43 am »
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #196 on: 02 October, 2021, 07:45:26 pm »
I've always found quarks to be a bit cheesey

I can't top that.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #198 on: 12 October, 2021, 09:42:36 am »
I read that and thought what an ironic name (though I know it's Arabic and just coincidentally looks like English, doesn't even sound the same). Anywayz, what's cringeworthy about "deteriorating by the month"? After all, as someone's sig line says, "rust never sleeps".
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.