Author Topic: BHPC racing  (Read 60358 times)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
Re: BHPC racing
« Reply #150 on: 18 October, 2021, 07:28:50 pm »

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #151 on: 18 October, 2021, 07:37:32 pm »
#SlashWinsLOL

Never would have seen that one coming

Stuart tried his best to give the trophy to someone else, but it didn't work.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #152 on: 23 October, 2021, 10:52:20 am »

There's a gootube video from GCN at the BHPC racing. So far I've recognised a wild Kim going very quickly.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #153 on: 23 October, 2021, 11:16:58 am »

There's a gootube video from GCN at the BHPC racing. So far I've recognised a wild Kim going very quickly.

Well that was an amusing way to spend 12 minutes.

I do like that quattro velo. Some friends of mine have two of them in their household, and carry their 2 kids. In them. they used to carry all 3 kids, but the big one has got too big and how has his own recumbent. Interesting to see them racing.

Definitely better marketing for the dark side than some of the previous GCN attempts.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #154 on: 23 October, 2021, 12:58:21 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWM0CHJeYAI

(click to show/hide)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #155 on: 23 October, 2021, 01:05:56 pm »

« Reply #156 on: 23 October, 2021, 01:31:15 pm »
Results for the completed 2021 season are now up at: http://www.bhpc.org.uk/results.aspx

I'm still accepting quibbles over Hillingdon at http://forum.bhpc.org.uk/2021-round-12-hillingdon-sunday-17th-october_topic7295.html

Impressive season, Kim  -  well done!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #157 on: 23 October, 2021, 01:35:29 pm »
My grate frend Mr Woolrich reckons that with a head bubble and a fin enclosing the rear wheel, young Liam in the Notso might be able to give Slash a harder time next year, and has the benefit of youth and therefore fearlessness.  I remain unconvinced.  Slash will still be winning when he gets his telegram from Missis Kwin Charlie Wills :demon:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #158 on: 23 October, 2021, 04:37:24 pm »
If he retires before the sun turns red and swallows the earth/mass climate chaos kills us all (delete as appropriate) we should name the trophy after him.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #159 on: 23 October, 2021, 06:38:49 pm »
(Watches vid)

Professional race?

(Does a roffle)

I put in a brief appearance at 10:08 holding up the Twed in the yellow machine at the start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #160 on: 23 October, 2021, 08:32:51 pm »
Results for the completed 2021 season are now up at: http://www.bhpc.org.uk/results.aspx

I'm still accepting quibbles over Hillingdon at http://forum.bhpc.org.uk/2021-round-12-hillingdon-sunday-17th-october_topic7295.html

Impressive season, Kim  -  well done!

Not really, given that I lost the women's turning-up championship.  (Now holding out for more money, in light of Mr Larrington's comment above.)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #161 on: 23 October, 2021, 08:34:26 pm »
If he retires before the sun turns red and swallows the earth/mass climate chaos kills us all (delete as appropriate) we should name the trophy after him.

Slash would outrun the exploding sun.  He'd probably do a lap of the galaxy and rumble up on it from behind.

« Reply #162 on: 23 October, 2021, 09:24:26 pm »
So, I 2022 is there a race within walking distance of Mordor?
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #163 on: 23 October, 2021, 09:34:06 pm »

2022's season is still a work in progress (these things take time, as they inevitably involve chasing people who are less-than-prompt with email, and some won't take bookings this far in advance).

However, it's pretty safe to assume there won't be an event *in* Birmingham, due to the lack of a suitable venue.  Stourport and Curborough are the closest that we regularly use.  Derby Velodrome might happen at some point (there's budget and enthusiasm, but they're notoriously hard to pin down on dates, and there's always a risk of coronalurgi restrictions) - that's brilliant fun if you can reasonably manage about 18mph.

Watch this space.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #164 on: 24 October, 2021, 10:39:27 am »
Tech followup video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjnqGmCZv5A

Only just noticed that link.  50% of the machines prodded came out of the Sheds of my grate frend Mr Woolrich :thumbsup:  I had custody of the Velocino for a while when he was moving house and got some very strange looks when riding it up the Leytonstone High Road.

That Barney: #MediaTart :demon:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #165 on: 24 October, 2021, 11:23:32 am »
Tech followup video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjnqGmCZv5A

Only just noticed that link.  50% of the machines prodded came out of the Sheds of my grate frend Mr Woolrich :thumbsup:  I had custody of the Velocino for a while when he was moving house and got some very strange looks when riding it up the Leytonstone High Road.

I think they like the low-budget sheddi angle.  I know it's bad television but it's conspicuous how much they gloss over the boringly sensible road-going commercial machines that most people ride, even by way of comparison.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #166 on: 24 October, 2021, 12:56:11 pm »
It's slightly reminiscent of those Goodwood festivals of Edwardian racing automobiles.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #167 on: 15 December, 2021, 12:13:30 pm »

2022's season is still a work in progress (these things take time, as they inevitably involve chasing people who are less-than-prompt with email, and some won't take bookings this far in advance).

However, it's pretty safe to assume there won't be an event *in* Birmingham, due to the lack of a suitable venue.  Stourport and Curborough are the closest that we regularly use.  Derby Velodrome might happen at some point (there's budget and enthusiasm, but they're notoriously hard to pin down on dates, and there's always a risk of coronalurgi restrictions) - that's brilliant fun if you can reasonably manage about 18mph.

Watch this space.

Chairman Al reckons the calendar will be sorted before Missis Kwin appears on the nation's distascopes to wish us awl a vair heppy Christmess, with the likely kickoff being Colchester on the first weekend of April.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #168 on: 15 December, 2021, 01:11:21 pm »
And for Middle-Earthians, it looks like we'll be at Stourport in May.

Full calendar under embargo pending confirmation from some of the venues and rigorous elimination of CompSec's assorted typos.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #169 on: 15 December, 2021, 02:54:35 pm »
Will they be going to Bentwater again, or was that a one off for the World Championships?
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #170 on: 15 December, 2021, 05:07:54 pm »
Betteshanger (AKA Fowlmead)?

Not this season.  I believe there were Issues involving a change of ownership, and the facilities have been a work in progress for a while.  It's a shame, as it's an excellent track for the faster machines and anyone with a love of coal dust or a corner allergy.

Certain members of the committee are making noises about hosting the world championships in 2023 (and certain other members of the committee have made noises about only if we get a new Babbage-engine filled with fresh, less-viscous jam for the timing system), and it's a potential option, along with the excellent Gravesend Cyclopark.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #171 on: 15 December, 2021, 06:09:46 pm »
Will they be going to Bentwater again, or was that a one off for the World Championships?

Bentwaters was a one-off.  I think they've dug some of it up or 5's Daddy has built overpriced starter homes on it or something.  As Kim notes, the next time we get the Worlds it’ll be at TBD, though Gravesend is looking like a distinct possibility.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #172 on: 15 December, 2021, 06:17:57 pm »
If we do it at Gravesend, I'm insisting on a freewheeling competition.  With strict rules about how all multi-track vehicles must be accompanied by a rider.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #173 on: 15 December, 2021, 06:25:51 pm »
Do you want the rider to ride the vehicle or to run alongside it?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #174 on: 15 December, 2021, 06:30:58 pm »
Do you want the rider to ride the vehicle or to run alongside it?

Prior experience suggests that the latter is suboptimal for wheelchair users.