Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 864496 times)

Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #2025 on: 30 October, 2017, 07:00:33 pm »
Oi you, behave!
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #2026 on: 30 October, 2017, 07:51:21 pm »
Using a steam mop to defrost the freezer isn't any better than my usual method.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

ian

« Reply #2027 on: 30 October, 2017, 09:08:55 pm »
I've only ever defrosted one freezer and that involved a hammer. And then a replacement freezer.

Frost-free, it's like a special kind of magic hated by polar bears.

« Reply #2028 on: 30 October, 2017, 09:10:58 pm »

Bowl of hot water in the bottom, wait 5 minutes, works remarkably well.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2029 on: 30 October, 2017, 09:17:09 pm »
Fan heater at close range.  With something to stand it on so it doesn't drown.  And an RCD, because I'm all about the health & safety.

By the time the room's up to the mid-20s, the ice is pretty much gone, and you can move in and clean up with a mop.

Or you can stab it to death and get a new freezer.  But that's why *I'm * in charge of defrosting the freezer.

« Reply #2030 on: 30 October, 2017, 09:36:28 pm »
I find myself irresistibly drawn to removing 'frost' accumulation about once a week.   It's such a cathartic job and keeping on top of it makes life easier methinks.

« Reply #2031 on: 30 October, 2017, 10:00:16 pm »
As long as the room temperature is above about 10 °C, lots of room temperature air is just as effective or better than a little bit of hot air, so an ordinary fan works very well, with Kim's suggestion of something to stand it on and an RCD.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

ian

« Reply #2032 on: 30 October, 2017, 10:06:15 pm »
Seriously, are you lot living in a steampunk dark age of fuming grey kitchen goods? I didn't think 'frost-free' was an option these days. I've not had to defrost a freezer since that student incident with the hammer. The only ice that comes out of mine is square and goes into G&Ts.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2033 on: 30 October, 2017, 10:09:24 pm »
Our freezer dates from when we were PSOs, and barakta murdered the last one.  At the time frost-free was new and expensive.

« Reply #2034 on: 30 October, 2017, 10:25:43 pm »
Seriously, are you lot living in a steampunk dark age of fuming grey kitchen goods? I didn't think 'frost-free' was an option these days. I've not had to defrost a freezer since that student incident with the hammer. The only ice that comes out of mine is square and goes into G&Ts.
My wife managed to buy a new non-frost free one recently due to not reading the small print. I don't think it'll last as we will get fed up with it and get a frost-free one instead, making the current one less of a bargain than it first appeared.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #2035 on: 30 October, 2017, 10:33:50 pm »
I find myself irresistibly drawn to removing 'frost' accumulation about once a week.   It's such a cathartic job and keeping on top of it makes life easier methinks.

I'm wondering how my computer illiterate father has managed to take control of your account PB. He insists on cleaning (using a squeegee to remove any water and then a soft cloth to polish) their shower after every use.

I know that he's been retired for many years and therefore has fuck all to do, but there are limits.

Tell him to get his own computer but not to call me for support.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #2036 on: 30 October, 2017, 11:29:40 pm »

Yes, that's what I usually do, but I thought I'd give the steam mop a try. But, this is the magic bit - once you have removed all the old ice (and washed and dried the freezer if you are that way inclined) rub a thick layer of glycerine over all the surfaces on which ice accumulates. Next time you defrost, the ice will all just drop off in big sheets/chunks and you won't need to hack away with a bread knife.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2037 on: 31 October, 2017, 12:02:19 am »

Quite possibly, but this micro-thread is about defrosting freezers.
It is simpler than it looks.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2038 on: 31 October, 2017, 08:46:29 am »
That the intermittent droning sound that has had me listening closely to my Windows box and keeping an eye on CoreTemp is actually a bloke up the road drilling holes in a wall.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2039 on: 31 October, 2017, 09:52:34 am »
Bowl of hot water in the bottom

Princess Diana used to swear by it, I understand.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2040 on: 31 October, 2017, 09:56:06 am »
I think I'd probably swear, too.
Getting there...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2041 on: 31 October, 2017, 02:02:50 pm »
On Saturday I learnt that eBikes do actually have on/off switches for the lights. Some of them, anyway, but like BMW indicators they're rare in this neck of the woods.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2042 on: 31 October, 2017, 02:33:33 pm »
On Saturday I learnt that eBikes do actually have on/off switches for the lights. Some of them, anyway, but like BMW indicators they're rare in this neck of the woods.

Lots of ways that can work, depending on the system and lights involved, but why did you think they didn't?

Of course, with an ebike, the penalty for having your lights on is practically non-existent.  It's a vanishingly small amount of energy compared to the total capacity of the battery (which like any motor vehicle user, you'll have planned your journey around not running flat).  You're already going to recharge the battery, and it doesn't even create extra drag like a dynamo hub.  So if you're inclined towards thinking that daylight running lights are a good idea, there's no reason not to.

Data point: With Shimano STEPS (which is a newish high-end system, and relatively rare to spot in the wild, but it's one I happen to have read the manual for properly) the lights are controlled by a prominent button on the console, and optionally tied to the display backlight state.  This seems typical of well-integrated off the shelf ebikes.  A minor niggle is that they default to off (rather than the option of 'previous state') on boot-up.

Data point: On barakta's trike, which is a retrofitted kit, I've provided power for the existing dynamo lights (which have a sensor mode and switch on the front light in the usual manner) whenever the battery system is switched on.  Normally we leave them in sensor mode.  Potential gotcha is leaving the battery switched on when parking the bike (eg. at a pub), and the lights coming on at dusk.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #2043 on: 31 October, 2017, 09:11:23 pm »
A couple of plant sprays set to "jet" rather than "spray" full of hot water work well and as any fule kno you can pretend to zapping Treens with yore atomick death ray which makes the chore meer childs pla .  Grate fun.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2044 on: 31 October, 2017, 09:51:51 pm »
When we had the Liebherr freezer engineer round (our freezer was broke cos it was all frozen up, prolly cos the door had been left open) he was most explicit that it should be defrosted by leaving it open at room temp for 24 hours.
This was in a frost free freezer but he said it was because it would be all frozen up in the polystyrene insulation inside the back and would take that long for all that to thaw out properly.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #2045 on: 31 October, 2017, 10:42:38 pm »
When we had the Liebherr freezer engineer round (our freezer was broke cos it was all frozen up, prolly cos the door had been left open) he was most explicit that it should be defrosted by leaving it open at room temp for 24 hours.
This was in a frost free freezer but he said it was because it would be all frozen up in the polystyrene insulation inside the back and would take that long for all that to thaw out properly.
That sounds right. When frost-free freezers do fill with ice, due to malfunction or misuse, the ice forms in hard-to-reach places, so they are worse to defrost than normal freezers. However, defrosting should be extremely rare.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2046 on: 01 November, 2017, 09:10:33 am »

Lots of ways that can work, depending on the system and lights involved, but why did you think they didn't?

Because almost every eBike I have seen on the road has had the lights on, even at midday in high summer.

« Reply #2047 on: 01 November, 2017, 03:24:26 pm »
That Bashar al-Assad's favourite band is the Electric Light Orchestra.  Yes, I've been watching HyperNormalisation!

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #2048 on: 05 November, 2017, 08:05:16 pm »
That Jonty Rhode is actually John Torode.  ???

I had never seen his name written before.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #2049 on: 06 November, 2017, 10:23:49 am »
That giant walking machines are a thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2V8GFqk_Y
<i>Marmite slave</i>