Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 864461 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #2500 on: 03 June, 2018, 09:31:07 pm »
Kaolin is also used to trigger blood clotting through the 'contact pathway' or 'intrinsic pathway'. The original experiments on this were performed by the anatomist William Hewson in the 1770's where he ran freshly let blood into containers of china, or gutta percha and observed the different coagulation times. It wasn't till the 1880's that they discovered that bloodd clotting is usually triggered by constituents outside the blood (the extrinsic pathway) with the prime activator, tissue factor (as a preparation including lipids called thromboplastin) identified and described by Morawitz in 1905 in a somewhat extensive review (1)

(1) Yes I have seen a copy. It is in german as it was published in Angewandte Chemie. Of particular note are two things. a) all the references are listed at the start. 450 or so of them. and b) a particular figure (diagram) is not included. This is interesting as it is frequently seen in historical reviews attributed to this paper, clearly by folk who have not read it. There was an English translation in 1952 which I have not seen which may have this figure.

OK, I learned this when I wrote my PhD thesis 'My life in the laboratory with a bunch of clots' 24 years ago.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2501 on: 03 June, 2018, 09:40:46 pm »
KCCT -kaolin-cephalin clotting time, innit?

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2502 on: 03 June, 2018, 09:57:20 pm »

Useful things, clays.
Less so if your house is built on it  >:(
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2503 on: 03 June, 2018, 10:05:24 pm »

Useful things, clays.

Mine has stood up OK.

I presume its bricks are clay too...

« Reply #2504 on: 03 June, 2018, 10:45:10 pm »
Kaolin is also used to trigger blood clotting through the 'contact pathway' or 'intrinsic pathway'. The original experiments on this were performed by the anatomist William Hewson in the 1770's where he ran freshly let blood into containers of china, or gutta percha and observed the different coagulation times. It wasn't till the 1880's that they discovered that bloodd clotting is usually triggered by constituents outside the blood (the extrinsic pathway) with the prime activator, tissue factor (as a preparation including lipids called thromboplastin) identified and described by Morawitz in 1905 in a somewhat extensive review (1)

(1) Yes I have seen a copy. It is in german as it was published in Angewandte Chemie. Of particular note are two things. a) all the references are listed at the start. 450 or so of them. and b) a particular figure (diagram) is not included. This is interesting as it is frequently seen in historical reviews attributed to this paper, clearly by folk who have not read it. There was an English translation in 1952 which I have not seen which may have this figure.

OK, I learned this when I wrote my PhD thesis 'My life in the laboratory with a bunch of clots' 24 years ago.

I came across it when I had a huge boil on my elbow some, ummm, 50 years ago. A hot poultice of kaolin (a paste in a tin, not sure how it was heated as it was pre microwave) was applied. It burst (the boil) and a fibrous core was extracted from it  :sick:  I still have the dimple in the elbow.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #2505 on: 04 June, 2018, 07:10:25 am »

Useful things, clays.

Nothing wrong with building on clay.  But try not to pick clays which like to take in a lot of water in that ionic layer, because they also let it out again when something else out-competes them for that water - like trees, and droughts.

London Clay (and some other soft Southern clays - our up north clays don't suffer the same problem, we make 'em grittier up north  O:-)) is particularly prone to this phenomenon, but as long as your foundations are deep enough (below the shrink/swell depth), it's not a problem. 

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2506 on: 04 June, 2018, 07:41:14 am »

I came across it when I had a huge boil on my elbow some, ummm, 50 years ago. A hot poultice of kaolin (a paste in a tin, not sure how it was heated as it was pre microwave) was applied. It burst (the boil) and a fibrous core was extracted from it  :sick:  I still have the dimple in the elbow.

My mum knew all about putting poultices on but SFA about when to take them off; which meant that when I, aged 8, had a boil on my bum, a scalding bread poultice went on every morning, did its work (presumably), then cooled down and hung cold and damp in my underpants all day. This while spending August in a seaside cottage, in a village whose harbour later figured in GofT, God wot.  No dragons, but that bloody poultice going on felt like one having a go at my arse. Singeing, that is.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2507 on: 04 June, 2018, 06:50:12 pm »
Today I learned that, until today, amateur boxers were not allowed to have beards.  Still aren't at international level.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2508 on: 04 June, 2018, 07:56:13 pm »
Today I learned that, until today, amateur boxers were not allowed to have beards.  Still aren't at international level.
That’s beardist that is.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2509 on: 06 June, 2018, 02:24:58 pm »
Richard Attlee, close friend of Kenton Archer off of The Archers, is the grandson of Clement Attlee.

Ob. Cycling: I think it is he who is narrating On Your Bike on Radio 4 Extra.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2510 on: 06 June, 2018, 02:52:42 pm »
Richard Attlee, close friend of Kenton Archer off of The Archers, is the grandson of Clement Attlee.

Ob. Cycling: I think it is he who is narrating On Your Bike on Radio 4 Extra.
That confused I, mixing real people and Archer's characters (who are real really) Having googled Richard Attlee I know understand what you mean by 'close friend'

« Reply #2511 on: 06 June, 2018, 09:46:57 pm »
Three parts:
1) There is a reason why mandolines have a "don't touch blade" notice, and why they come with the holder-thing to keep fingers away from that blade (yesterday's lesson); and
2) "Waterproof" bandages really mean "water that gets in won't get out" and your skin will turn white under them; and
3) Slicing the end of one's thumb negates the benefit of having it opposable, at least until the sensitivity of the cut area drops off.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2512 on: 07 June, 2018, 12:32:16 am »
2) "Waterproof" bandages really mean "water that gets in won't get out" and your skin will turn white under them; and

The other two are fair enough (ouch!), but Shirley this is common knowledge acquired in childhood?

« Reply #2513 on: 08 June, 2018, 06:09:41 am »
/quote]
 but Shirley this is common knowledge acquired in childhood?
[/quote]
Except I hardly ever need to use one, and all of the suitably-sized ones from our son's youth (he's 26 now) have been used up, so no cutesey animal print ones at hand, but - aha! - box says waterproof, so won't have to replace when adhesive lets loose after washing my hands ….

I think there is a rule that only the odd sized ones are permitted to be found in times of need

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2514 on: 12 June, 2018, 01:33:35 pm »
The typically dowdy colour in which the Surly LHT is currently offered is really called Lagoon by the factory.  Surly's spliff-smoking* marketroids call it Grandpa's Thermos (wouldn't that be tartan?) and the European distributors call it Sea Green.

Varicose Vein Blue would be my description, but it's better than black.  Black bikes look heavy.

*I have no evidence for this but I believe it to be at least probable
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Chris N

« Reply #2515 on: 12 June, 2018, 03:55:10 pm »
Surly's bike colour names are great.  Drink more water yellow is a particular favourite of mine.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2516 on: 12 June, 2018, 05:24:43 pm »
To wear safety glasses when putting on a new G-string.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2517 on: 12 June, 2018, 07:19:18 pm »

:-X
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #2518 on: 12 June, 2018, 11:36:53 pm »

:-X
Bum note or bum floss?
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2519 on: 13 June, 2018, 09:08:18 am »
The end flicked out of the winder and pinked me on the bridge of my nose.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #2520 on: 13 June, 2018, 11:09:25 am »
Think you might need a size larger . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2521 on: 13 June, 2018, 01:40:29 pm »
Well, it's safely anchored now, although the nut slot is a little large and it's inclined to buzz when strummed forcefully. Time for a little superglue & baking-powder, then I'll have at it with my dozuki.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #2522 on: 13 June, 2018, 02:54:00 pm »
Well, it's safely anchored now, although the nut slot is a little large and it's inclined to buzz when strummed forcefully. Time for a little superglue & baking-powder, then I'll have at it with my dozuki.

Which kind of G-string are we talking about here? :o
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2523 on: 14 June, 2018, 08:12:43 am »
The kind that goes twang when you pluck it.

« Reply #2524 on: 14 June, 2018, 11:12:00 am »
Not all Garmin GPS cables are the same.

Wanted to upgrade the maps on my Nuvi car GPS so fished the lead labeled Garmin out of the draw and connected. Computer can see it but the Garmin upgrade installer can't. Unplug and reconnect a few times with no luck. Give up and brew some tea. It then occurs to wonder how many Garmin leads I've got and whether any of the others would work. Sure enough the second lead works, the first lead only seems to work with an edge 700.

Leads now labeled with device name as well as manufacturer.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams