Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 864523 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #4300 on: 27 May, 2020, 09:08:03 am »
Does the groom have to keep his eyes shut?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Davef

« Reply #4301 on: 27 May, 2020, 09:28:52 am »
When cutting a length of wood to act as a paint stirrer, with the paint poured into a plastic ice-cream tub, make sure the stirrer is not just longer than the longer edge of the ice-cream tub, but also longer than the diagonal.  Or even the 3-D opposite corner diagonal.  Just to be sure.
I am not sure if it is still the case but it used to be that the Royal Mail maximum parcel size was 3 feet in any one dimension, so you could send a 3ft cube but not a 5 foot broom handle ... unless you packed it down the long diagonal of a 3ft cube box.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4302 on: 27 May, 2020, 09:37:14 am »
Samphire used to be used in the manufacture of glass, hence its other name: 'glasswort'
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

« Reply #4303 on: 27 May, 2020, 09:37:37 am »
Does the groom have to keep his eyes shut?

If he's got any sense, he'll steer well clear of the whole business.

« Reply #4304 on: 27 May, 2020, 11:45:23 am »
The french word for pollard is tadpole.

Têtard Têtard

I love this.

« Reply #4305 on: 27 May, 2020, 01:15:03 pm »
Pre-wedding photoshoots are a thing.

Presumably this is a way of getting all those tiresome wedding pics done without having it spoil the day itself.
Unfortunately not...
Our photographer explained his rationale as it was a chance for us to get to know one another a bit and also for him to learn a bit about how we reacted to having our photos taken - could we easily do what he wanted, did we pull funny faces, that kind of thing.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4306 on: 27 May, 2020, 01:23:31 pm »
The french word for pollard is tadpole.

Têtard Têtard

I love this.

Me too. Didn't know that.

Meanwhile, I have learnt what bundle means in Southron slang.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #4307 on: 27 May, 2020, 01:36:45 pm »
That to Sard was the medieval version of to F*ck

Also what a grawlix is.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

ElyDave

« Reply #4308 on: 28 May, 2020, 09:19:15 pm »
That despite buying a whiskey under their label, my wife has no idea what a Pogue is, or any recollection of Fairy Tale of New York, so I've just played it, all

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4309 on: 29 May, 2020, 08:07:33 am »
That despite buying a whiskey under their label, my wife has no idea what a Pogue is, or any recollection of Fairy Tale of New York, so I've just played it, all

Pogue is lotsastuff: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/pogue

ElyDave

« Reply #4310 on: 29 May, 2020, 11:29:38 am »
yebbut, she didn't have any idea, just liked the look of the bottle

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4311 on: 01 June, 2020, 11:50:45 am »
Onoz!  The Northern Hairy-Nosed Wombat is on the critically-endangered list :'(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #4312 on: 01 June, 2020, 08:15:07 pm »
I've been joking about how having really, really bad hay fever must be wots making my tinnitus worse.
It's a thing!
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4313 on: 03 June, 2020, 10:27:09 pm »
That former Polish rock Maanam took their name from the Tamil for "respect".
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #4314 on: 03 June, 2020, 10:44:57 pm »
For some reason, tonight I wondered if there was such a thing as a welsh sign language.  Apparently not.  BSL is, in fact, fully British and used in all four nations.  Although many people in NI are bilingual and can read BSL and ISL.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4315 on: 03 June, 2020, 11:17:25 pm »
For some reason, tonight I wondered if there was such a thing as a welsh sign language.

Yeah, it's the BSL dialect where <letter> looks like <cunt>.  (Postman Piers helpfully warned me about this before I turned up at the BDA's Cardiff office to do some unisex spaceadmining some years ago.)

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #4316 on: 03 June, 2020, 11:21:18 pm »
BSL is extremely regional, so people in Sheffield use lots of different signs than say Doncaster a few miles away.

Northern Irish Sign Language is also sometimes recognised as being even more dialectically different from the rest - not sure why, whether more ISL influence or something else.

citoyen

« Reply #4317 on: 03 June, 2020, 11:45:38 pm »
Pete Shelley was inspired to write Ever Fallen In Love by a line in Guys & Dolls.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4318 on: 04 June, 2020, 08:40:57 am »
BSL is extremely regional, so people in Sheffield use lots of different signs than say Doncaster a few miles away.

That sounds like the Alsacien dialect, which varies from village to village.  Our old cleaning woman could tell which of the neighbouring villages someone came from just from how they spoke.  She also used to look down on everyone who wasn't from her village, which is a cowsnest like any other but does boast a kilometre-long 10% climb.

« Reply #4319 on: 04 June, 2020, 08:41:58 am »
When cutting a length of wood to act as a paint stirrer, with the paint poured into a plastic ice-cream tub, make sure the stirrer is not just longer than the longer edge of the ice-cream tub, but also longer than the diagonal.  Or even the 3-D opposite corner diagonal.  Just to be sure.
aka 'body diagonal'.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #4320 on: 04 June, 2020, 08:59:48 am »
Pete Shelley was inspired to write Ever Fallen In Love by a line in Guys & Dolls.
I heard that too. Now trying to work it into what is officially the longest listener-generated, thematically-linked sequence of musically-based items on the radio.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #4321 on: 04 June, 2020, 09:07:52 am »

Northern Irish Sign Language is also sometimes recognised as being even more dialectically different from the rest - not sure why, whether more ISL influence or something else.

Thanks.  Dialects hadn't occurred to me, but I don't think there is any reason why they wouldn't develop. That's rather interesting.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

citoyen

« Reply #4322 on: 04 June, 2020, 09:22:54 am »
I heard that too. Now trying to work it into what is officially the longest listener-generated, thematically-linked sequence of musically-based items on the radio.

Bzzzt! Repetition...
https://www.thechain.uk/590-buzzcocks-ever-fallen-in-love-with-someone-you-shouldntve/

(Had to check to be sure, but it would have been a major oversight if they'd never had it yet.)

Must admit that I've not listened to Love Bites in its entirety for some years, but it is an abso-fucking-lutely awesome album. Cranked it up to 11 and pogoed round the kitchen while making dinner.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4323 on: 04 June, 2020, 01:19:27 pm »

Thanks.  Dialects hadn't occurred to me, but I don't think there is any reason why they wouldn't develop. That's rather interesting.

Combination of factors:

Sign language users have historically had small communities based around schools for the deaf, Deaf clubs, and sometimes churches and sports groups.  Bear in mind that most deaf people have hearing parents, and that sign was deliberately marginalised by the authorities in favour of oralism (particularly in the UK) since 1880.

Sign languages lacked the homogenising effect of telephone, radio and television until video technology became cheap enough for Deaf people to access.  (An hour a week of Blue Peter See Hear on the BBC[1] was all you got on broadcast telly until quite recently, and that only started in the 1980s.)  Spoken languages have had a century's head start, in that respect.

My own sign is a mixture of Big Gay Yorkshire and Mary Hare, courtesy of my Sheffield BSL tutors and Postman Piers (with the usual SSEishness of Crap Hearing People).  I can do London numbers, but they're like starting a bike with the other foot.

[1] Needless to say the majority of BSL you see on telly is the 'London' dialect.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4324 on: 04 June, 2020, 01:27:44 pm »

Bzzzt! Repetition...
https://www.thechain.uk/590-buzzcocks-ever-fallen-in-love-with-someone-you-shouldntve/

(Had to check to be sure, but it would have been a major oversight if they'd never had it yet.)

Must admit that I've not listened to Love Bites in its entirety for some years, but it is an abso-fucking-lutely awesome album. Cranked it up to 11 and pogoed round the kitchen while making dinner.
Blimey. I don't think I've ever listened to the whole album. What have I been doing for the past 77 years?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.