Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 859451 times)

Guy

• Retired
Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #5550 on: 09 October, 2021, 04:06:34 pm »
That's the lorry driver shortage sorted. Those hairy-arsed Tuggers-of-War can pull the trailers around on the end of a rope.  :thumbsup:
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5551 on: 09 October, 2021, 04:35:33 pm »
Harold "Harry" Joseph Stiff (23 October 1881 – 17 April 1939) was an English tug of war competitor who debuted at the age of 38 in the 1920 Summer Olympics, and won the gold medal representing Great Britain, as part of the City of London Police.[1] He later became a landowner of the Horse and Groom Public House, Cornish Hall End, close to Finchingfield, Essex.[2]
The glory days of the Olympic spirit!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5552 on: 09 October, 2021, 10:39:50 pm »
The amount of morphine needed to stun a rhino.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5553 on: 09 October, 2021, 10:47:11 pm »
The amount of morphine needed to stun a rhino.
Fun day out at the zoo?

It's such a perfect day,
I'm glad I spent it with you.
Stun rhinos at the zoo
Then later a movie too
And then home.

Lou Reed, this morning.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5554 on: 09 October, 2021, 10:52:35 pm »
Barakta has repeatedly claimed that she was on enough morphine to stun a rhino. So I looked it up. Turns out that they're surprisingly difficult to stun and you need at least an order of magnitude more equivalent dose than she was taking.

She wasn't even on enough to stun a baby rhino, which would be bad news for the car. If we had a car.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #5555 on: 09 October, 2021, 11:10:44 pm »

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5556 on: 09 October, 2021, 11:12:26 pm »
'zactly

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #5557 on: 09 October, 2021, 11:26:27 pm »
So Barakta should be able to take on a car.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5558 on: 10 October, 2021, 11:01:38 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FfgELGrC98

?
Wow. I note the "hope they learned a lesson" comment – I'd say they were at least stunned, overturned and quite likely overdosed and RIP.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5559 on: 10 October, 2021, 11:20:32 am »
Barakta has repeatedly claimed that she was on enough morphine to stun a rhino. So I looked it up. Turns out that they're surprisingly difficult to stun and you need at least an order of magnitude more equivalent dose than she was taking.

She wasn't even on enough to stun a baby rhino, which would be bad news for the car. If we had a car.

For those of us catching up. Exactly how much morphine does one need to stun a rhino? in terms of mg per kg of mass?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #5560 on: 10 October, 2021, 12:02:05 pm »
Well from further discussion this morning, it turns out morphine is really bad at stunning rhinos as are ketamines and you're better off using synthetic stuff with NxOx type chemical compounds in them. It's a constant tradeoff between not stunning the rhino sufficiently and stunning it too much and having its heart stop beating...

I think the figure Kim used on Twitter was 8000mg but I think by weight that's not too different to what I was taking at my highest as Rah did maths to calculate needed amount to stun a baby rhino... As you do...

I am not sure about now being more compared to a rhino... My own fault I fear.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5561 on: 10 October, 2021, 01:29:22 pm »
Rhinos and Baraktas both have and need thick skins?

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #5562 on: 10 October, 2021, 01:38:17 pm »
Truefax!

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #5563 on: 10 October, 2021, 07:58:05 pm »

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #5564 on: 11 October, 2021, 08:35:19 am »
Well from further discussion this morning, it turns out morphine is really bad at stunning rhinos as are ketamines and you're better off using synthetic stuff with NxOx type chemical compounds in them. It's a constant tradeoff between not stunning the rhino sufficiently and stunning it too much and having its heart stop beating...

I think the figure Kim used on Twitter was 8000mg but I think by weight that's not too different to what I was taking at my highest as Rah did maths to calculate needed amount to stun a baby rhino... As you do...

I am not sure about now being more compared to a rhino... My own fault I fear.
There is an advantage to being a rhino - Emma Thynn said that her favourite job is smeaaring mud onto the rhinos at Longleat.
https://metro.co.uk/2019/11/05/emma-weymouth-brushes-off-shock-strictly-exit-beams-leaving-takes-two-11043045/
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

ian

« Reply #5565 on: 11 October, 2021, 10:02:45 am »
The probably with opiates is that synthetic derivatives are significantly more potent. Morphine isn't very strong (heroin is 2-5x as strong, plus is more euphoric, hence the abuse potential). Fentanyl, on the other hand, is 50-100 times as strong as morphine, which is why it kills a lot of people. Its effects on rhinos, I'm unsure, you'd have to be a pretty brave dealer to push that.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #5566 on: 13 October, 2021, 12:09:15 am »
That in the 60's you could buy a turbine powered back axle for cars.

That is, a turbine powered by rocket fuel driving the back axle (don't forget to engage neutral first, your valves and pistons will thank you) - Turbonique Turbo Drag-Axle

<fx>knock knock</fx>
Who's that?
It's the postman, I've got that 55 gallon drum of isopropyl nitrate that you ordered.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5567 on: 13 October, 2021, 12:57:53 am »
(Reads article, notes presence of word “Florida” in company address, nods sagely)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #5568 on: 13 October, 2021, 07:08:51 am »
That in the 60's you could buy a turbine powered back axle for cars.

That is, a turbine powered by rocket fuel driving the back axle (don't forget to engage neutral first, your valves and pistons will thank you) - Turbonique Turbo Drag-Axle

<fx>knock knock</fx>
Who's that?
It's the postman, I've got that 55 gallon drum of isopropyl nitrate that you ordered.

A guy I used to know told me that he had ... erm ... acquired a 55 gallon drum of isopropyl nitrate and used it to spice up the fuel in his racing motorbikes.  One of the downsides was the fact that the combustion products contain hydrogen cyanide and if you were held for too long in the pit lane the rider behind you started to suffer.  He also had problems with keeping it mixed in the fuel and on one occasion reckoned that he ended up running on the stuff neat.  Very fast for a short period of time until it was just the piston skirts going up and down.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5569 on: 13 October, 2021, 11:19:29 am »
In the halcyon days when anyone with big enough carb jets ran their racing car on “alcohol” and petril was just for little tin boxes nitromethane briefly found favour as a fuel additive.  Apparently you had to be careful about handling the stuff as it could be absorbed through the skin, with hilarious consequences.  There is a story about Charlie Cooper getting higher than Sputnik after a nitro mishap.  Top Fuel dragsters use the stuff, which explains a lot.

Then the Feds FIA interfered, as was their wont, and mandated “pump petril”, prompting an irate Tony Vandervell* to demand to know exactly which pump racing teams had to use.  The Man relented and specified AvGas instead, since at least there was an existing standard for it.  Somehow by the 1980s everyone with a tame oil company chemist managed to use stuff based largely on toluene which still met the letter of the rules.

* whose Chaps, coincidentally, were having a hard time making the Vanwall engine work properly when deprived of the booze it was designed to ingest
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #5570 on: 13 October, 2021, 12:15:18 pm »
Nacho is short for Ignacio, the person who came up with the idea of putting cheese, chilli, and beans on tortillas/tortilla chips.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5571 on: 22 October, 2021, 05:32:50 pm »
To open a bar of Cadbury's Kraft/Mondelez Dairy Milk, simply pull apart at the OPPOSITE end to that indicated.  I'm sure they label it the wrong way around just for a laugh.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5572 on: 22 October, 2021, 05:48:52 pm »
In order to enjoy a bar of Dairy Milk at its very best, open at either end. It doesn't matter which. Then throw it away and have some decent chocolate.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #5573 on: 22 October, 2021, 06:29:22 pm »
Wot he said.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5574 on: 22 October, 2021, 07:47:44 pm »
why bother unwrapping it, save yourselves 30 seconds for more choclolate