Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 864184 times)

ian

Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #5925 on: 17 February, 2022, 06:15:09 pm »
Ours doesn't seem to be limited in its movement.  Outwards movement ultimately gets restricted by the wiper thingy[1] being crushed against the rim of the bath.

The bath's the wrong way round, so no danger of it hitting the taps.  This also means that the shower screen is barely long enough to prevent the stream of water running down your forearm, off your elbow and into a neat puddle on the bathmat as you rinse your hair.

[1] A thing I learned on a previous day is that these are replaceable, and there are a zillion different standard shapes.

Yes, I learnt that last year too and in the end decided it was worth paying well over the odds to get the correct one from the shower manufacturer rather than having four or five goes at getting the right one from unknown internet suppliers.

We have this problem and despite the replacement seal looking and feeling the same, we now have a permanently drying bath mat. Unfortunately, we don't know who supplied the bloody shower cubical. I think we're on the sixth seal now.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5926 on: 17 February, 2022, 06:35:41 pm »

I think we're on the sixth seal now.

wasn't that a Tom Hanks/Dan Brown "movie"?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5927 on: 17 February, 2022, 07:20:05 pm »
Ours doesn't seem to be limited in its movement.  Outwards movement ultimately gets restricted by the wiper thingy[1] being crushed against the rim of the bath.

The bath's the wrong way round, so no danger of it hitting the taps.  This also means that the shower screen is barely long enough to prevent the stream of water running down your forearm, off your elbow and into a neat puddle on the bathmat as you rinse your hair.

[1] A thing I learned on a previous day is that these are replaceable, and there are a zillion different standard shapes.

Yes, I learnt that last year too and in the end decided it was worth paying well over the odds to get the correct one from the shower manufacturer rather than having four or five goes at getting the right one from unknown internet suppliers.

We have this problem and despite the replacement seal looking and feeling the same, we now have a permanently drying bath mat. Unfortunately, we don't know who supplied the bloody shower cubical. I think we're on the sixth seal now.

I managed to get it right, probably due to limited compatible options.  It helps that the replacement is a generously proportioned reasonably flexible rubber, whereas the original was landlord-quality plastic and barely filled the gap.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #5928 on: 17 February, 2022, 07:48:52 pm »
Ok then, let's say the screen is supposed to fold open away from the bath,  I don't understand how the silicone sealant is supposed to work correctly.
For shower cubicles at least you're supposed to seal on the outside of the cubicle to tray interface, not the inside. I can't do that with an outward opening screen because the hinged bit moves.
2022-02-17_06-53-36 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Here's the inside. Apologies for manky sealant. It's on the to do list along with trying to stop the leak.
2022-02-17_06-52-56 by The Pingus, on Flickr
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #5929 on: 17 February, 2022, 08:39:28 pm »
Your problem is probably not sealant. Your problem is the shower screen equivalent of draught excluder. They wear in a ridiculously short amount of time. As stated above they are very replaceable.

Sealant only needs to be on the bath side of the upright and hinge.

I ended up trying to shower with the screen in the bath rather than sitting on the rim. This would probably have been a straightforward thing except I am a fat bastard.

Anyway now I have a cubicle and different first world problems.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #5930 on: 17 February, 2022, 09:19:07 pm »
I have an outward opening door on my P shaped bath with shower. It has a draught excluder wossname on the bottom edge, which seems to do the job. The time it didn't do the job was when, in a fit of exuberance, I removed it to clean it and didn't put in back on properly. The water ran down the shower door, into the groove of the draught excluder, up over the outer edge and down onto the floor.

Might be worth checking this isn't what's happening with yours.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #5931 on: 17 February, 2022, 09:44:31 pm »
I think we're on the sixth seal now.

You know what happens next...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5932 on: 17 February, 2022, 11:59:32 pm »
Y-M-C-A?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #5933 on: 18 February, 2022, 06:30:28 am »
This is where the leak is presenting
2022-02-18_06-28-34 by The Pingus, on Flickr

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #5934 on: 18 February, 2022, 07:30:00 am »
This is where the leak is presenting
2022-02-18_06-28-34 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Can you redirect the shower head towards the wall a bit? - assuming it's tiled! - that would be a start in reducing the amount of water bouncing off your body towards the screen.

I guess the real question I would ask myself - is : Do I want a bath-tub? - or shall I replace it with a large shower tray/cubicle (the type with no door where the screens are sealed to the base)?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5935 on: 18 February, 2022, 08:33:15 am »
I guess the real question I would ask myself - is : Do I want a bath-tub? - or shall I replace it with a large shower tray/cubicle (the type with no door where the screens are sealed to the base)?

We have separate bath & cubicle, and I'm kicking myself to this day about not holding out for shower-only.  "A bathroom has to have a bath," they said.

13 years later and it's been used just once for bathing. The rest of the time it has mostly gathered dust.  The only positive thing about it is that I can take off the shower-head - the bath came with its own shower-head - and use the powerful jet of water from the hose to blast a stuck moby round the bend.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5936 on: 18 February, 2022, 08:39:53 am »
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5937 on: 18 February, 2022, 12:12:43 pm »
Today I are learning that racing motor-ist Bruce McLaren was only 5'3” tall, thus making him shorter than Napoléon Bonaparte, Ian Holm and TV's Tiny P Kennaugh.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5938 on: 18 February, 2022, 01:55:14 pm »
Napoléon's height is usually given as 5'2", but under the Ancien Régime an inch was 2.706 cm so that he was almost 1m68 tall, or 6'6", about average for the time.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #5939 on: 18 February, 2022, 02:30:49 pm »
Nelson was also height challenged .
Today's fun fact:
The statue at the top of Nelson's column tapers outwards as it get taller, so that when it is viewed from ground level, the the perspective is corrected to look straight.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #5940 on: 18 February, 2022, 03:21:46 pm »
Napoléon's height is usually given as 5'2", but under the Ancien Régime an inch was 2.706 cm so that he was almost 1m68 tall, or 6'6", about average for the time.

5'6" shirly?

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #5941 on: 18 February, 2022, 04:50:05 pm »
Well I know what I *want*, but it's entirely academic at the moment as I'm just about to blow the last of the magic beans on a new kitchen.

« Reply #5942 on: 18 February, 2022, 04:55:06 pm »

5'6" shirly?

Indeed, I think T42’s post should go into the arithmetic that makes you cringe thread

« Reply #5943 on: 18 February, 2022, 05:25:14 pm »
I thought his statue in Trafalgar Square was 16 foot and he was 5' 4" - Horatio of three to one.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5944 on: 18 February, 2022, 07:24:11 pm »
...that the sticker I've seen on some delivery scooters round town is for an Algerian football club.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b2/Logo_MCA_1921.png/220px-Logo_MCA_1921.png
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Feanor

« Reply #5945 on: 18 February, 2022, 08:28:39 pm »
Well I know what I *want*, but it's entirely academic at the moment as I'm just about to blow the last of the magic beans on a new kitchen.

Ditch the enclosed shower totally, and go with a wet room where the shower runs directly onto the floor which is gently inclined towards the drain.

Then nothing leaks because it all leaks.

Unless it's on the first floor, in which case it *always* leaks. Into the downstairs room.
In which case, Laings of Inverurie will re-do it for you, for a king's ransom. But it works.

ian

« Reply #5946 on: 18 February, 2022, 08:38:56 pm »
Yes, wet rooms. What can go wrong there?

You can spot anyone who's had a wet room installed from about 50 metres away just by the agonised look on their faces, a picture of what one wrong decision can do to contort one's soul.

« Reply #5947 on: 18 February, 2022, 08:43:48 pm »
Yes, wet rooms. What can go wrong there?

You can spot anyone who's had a wet room installed from about 50 metres away just by the agonised look on their faces, a picture of what one wrong decision can do to contort one's soul.

Indeed. Who doesn’t love damp toilet tissue.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ian

« Reply #5948 on: 18 February, 2022, 08:58:14 pm »
Friends of mine had one in their Hackney flat. Their solution, after two years of fighting with the contractors, was to move to Devon.

Feanor

« Reply #5949 on: 18 February, 2022, 09:01:28 pm »
So the wet room is not *totally* un-enclosed!
It's just that there's no plastic tray with a mouldy seal around the perimeter.
(The mould is free to grow everywhere else instead!)

It's got walls on 2 sides, and there's a full room-height glass wall on the third side to contain the worst of the spray.
Also, the room needs to be big enough that there's a reasonable distance from the open end to Things You Don't Want To Get Wet, like bogroll.
But having been dangled by the ankles to have the initial poor implementation put right, I do like it.

There's room enough for all possible showering options, without worrying about leaky rubber seals.