Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 864221 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #6775 on: 19 March, 2023, 04:53:05 pm »
When you buy plywood, chipboard, OSB etc from B&Q or other timber supplying emporia the items usally have a sticky label placed in the middle of the sheet - with glur of the "shit to a blanket" variety . . .

I've discovered, courtesy of YT, that gentle heat from a heat gun (or even a hairdrier) and gentle scraping eases the label from the surface leaving minimal glue residue which can then be gently sanded away.

On a similar note, I have found removing old bar tape much easier on a warm summer day when the bike storage area is roasting as opposed to in the winter months.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #6776 on: 19 March, 2023, 08:26:08 pm »
The female voice at the end of Roxy Music’s For Your Pleasure saying “Don’t ask…” is Judi Dench.

Judi Dench!!!

It actually seems blindingly obvious once you know.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #6777 on: 27 March, 2023, 08:29:48 pm »
Yesterday.  NCP aka National Car Parks used to do cycle parking as well.

Next time you watch, "The Blue Lamp" keep an eye on the hoarding backing onto the tube line that's seen during the on-foot chase sequence as first Riley (Bogarde) then Mitchell (Handley) climb over the fence near the greyhound track.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6778 on: 28 March, 2023, 09:33:02 am »
A couple of weeks ago I learnt the word eleemosynary. Came across it in a book written in the early 18th century. Now, reading another book written recently but set in the same time period, I've encountered it again! I guess it should stick in my mind now.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #6779 on: 28 March, 2023, 10:04:21 am »
A couple of weeks ago I learnt the word eleemosynary. Came across it in a book written in the early 18th century. Now, reading another book written recently but set in the same time period, I've encountered it again! I guess it should stick in my mind now.
IIRC PTerry uses it in 'Making Money' (Uttered by the conman who is posing as a vicar).

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6780 on: 28 March, 2023, 11:52:05 am »

Sounds like Holmes has been at the cooking sherry again: "eleemosynary, my dear Wazzock".
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #6781 on: 04 April, 2023, 01:56:44 pm »
Courtesy of Donna Leon's latest offering, there is no word for "privacy" in Italian.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #6782 on: 07 April, 2023, 02:24:11 pm »
That the term 'piping hot' refers to the sound made by steam escaping from hot pies, with references as early as Chaucer.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6783 on: 07 April, 2023, 02:26:31 pm »
Onomatopiea.

« Reply #6784 on: 10 April, 2023, 02:56:32 pm »
That TK Maxx is actually TJ Maxx, but in the UK the name was changed so as to avoid confusion the British retail “giant” TJ Hughes - which I’ve never heard of before reading that. 

« Reply #6785 on: 10 April, 2023, 03:54:04 pm »
That TK Maxx is actually TJ Maxx, but in the UK the name was changed so as to avoid confusion the British retail “giant” TJ Hughes - which I’ve never heard of before reading that.
Seems TJ Hughes are mostly a northern England thing, based in Liverpool.
Not to be confused with TJ Morris, also based in Liverpool, who own Home Bargains.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #6786 on: 10 April, 2023, 04:47:18 pm »
Seems TJ Hughes are mostly a northern England thing, based in Liverpool.
Not to be confused with TJ Morris, also based in Liverpool, who own Home Bargains.

Gets more confusing as TKMax owns the Home Sense chain or shops

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6787 on: 10 April, 2023, 07:16:30 pm »
Waitrose still call them chicken kievs.  Russki-loving bastards  >:(
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #6788 on: 11 April, 2023, 12:28:45 pm »
That the Spanish for Flemish is 'flamenco/a'.

As in 'la campaña de clásicas flamencas'  in a translation on eurosport.es of an interview with Adrie Van der Poel.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #6789 on: 11 April, 2023, 02:16:16 pm »
What, in some places at least, a "Toby" is.  Apparently, says t'int'ernt, a "Toby" - in Britain and New Zealand no less - is the valve that sits between the water main and your properties supply pipework.  Hence the generic term "Toby Box" for those hatch-lidded openings in the highway, used for water meters, valves, and (pertinent to our village atm) termination of FTTP feeds before being connected to the property itself.

I've never heard the term "Toby" used for a valve. It's apparently from an Irish term for a roadway (the Toby), and short for "Toby-Cock" or "Toby-Valve".

citoyen

« Reply #6790 on: 11 April, 2023, 02:50:52 pm »

I first came across that in Henry Fielding's Tom Jones (mid-18th century - obviously something they were all into back then). He uses it *a lot*, so it has stuck, even though it's quite a few years since I read it.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6791 on: 11 April, 2023, 03:01:23 pm »

I first came across that in Henry Fielding's Tom Jones (mid-18th century - obviously something they were all into back then). He uses it *a lot*, so it has stuck, even though it's quite a few years since I read it.
Ditto! The second being Suskind's Pefume...

citoyen

« Reply #6792 on: 11 April, 2023, 03:12:02 pm »

Ah! I don't recall it from Perfume, though I'm sure I would have noticed it at the time of reading. Can't think of any other books where I've come across it.

What did you think of Tom Jones? It's one of my all-time favourite books.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6793 on: 11 April, 2023, 03:28:27 pm »

Ah! I don't recall it from Perfume, though I'm sure I would have noticed it at the time of reading. Can't think of any other books where I've come across it.

What did you think of Tom Jones? It's one of my all-time favourite books.
I'm still in the middle of it! Keep getting sidetracked by other things... But I'm enjoying it. And it's interesting how in some ways it seems more modern than something which was written a century later.

« Reply #6794 on: 12 April, 2023, 07:41:44 am »
That typing the abbreviation for Councillor into a text produced Clot instead of Cllr.

« Reply #6795 on: 12 April, 2023, 11:49:38 am »
That the one time stack construction of the PP3 is nowadays a basket of AAAA (was this the genesis of the AAAA?)

« Reply #6796 on: 12 April, 2023, 12:12:57 pm »
Gutenberg says only twice in Tom Jones. But the first one is in the first sentence. Unusual words in first sentences can have quite an impact. I learnt 'catamite' from the first sentence of Anthony Burgess' Earthly Powers:

"It was the afternoon of my eighty-first birthday, and I was in bed with my catamite when Ali announced that the archbishop had come to see me." (Who wouldn't want to read on after a first sentence like that?)

It is now in fairly common use at work - so much more acceptable than the 'bitch' it replaced.

citoyen

« Reply #6797 on: 12 April, 2023, 01:18:27 pm »
Gutenberg says only twice in Tom Jones. But the first one is in the first sentence. Unusual words in first sentences can have quite an impact.

Yes, I remember it being right at the beginning. Could have sworn it being used more than that, but as you say, that's probably the impact of it being in the first sentence.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6798 on: 12 April, 2023, 03:01:52 pm »
The finest first sentence in English literature.

Can't remember where I first ran into the word, but I knew it before reading E.P.  It sounds as if it might be a siliceous mineral, formerly used in paste form for poulticing boils.  I have unfond memories of having something like that clapped against my bum when I was 8.

citoyen

« Reply #6799 on: 12 April, 2023, 03:34:39 pm »
The only one of his books I've read is A Clockwork Orange, but yes, that is quite the opening line and would certainly want to make me read on. I shall add it to the pile.