Author Topic: Nightcam videos  (Read 13290 times)

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
Re: Nightcam videos
« Reply #25 on: 02 September, 2020, 08:51:31 am »
The cats which sniff the HH food (mostly actually dogfood*) which I leave out are far more interested in mice.

But the mice are interested in the HH food. They run from the cover into open ground, snatch a piece, and run back with it to wherever they they go to eat it in peace.

Recently all the food disappears the whatever takes it usually fails to trigger the camera. The camera is BTW showing its cheapness: (a) the latch holding it shut has broken and it's held together with rubber bands and the rain can get in, and (b) when I pressed the 'menu' button recently it went in but wouldn't come out, so I have to poke about with a screwdriver to bring up the menu.

* I believe it's known as 'kibble'. Much of it comes from a neighbour who breeds wheaten terriers.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #26 on: 03 September, 2020, 12:20:36 pm »
I've videoed a number of cats having a sniff at the hedgehog food but I've never seen them eat it.

Is it commercial hedgehog food? If so, have a read about what my link above says about it. Apparently lots of it is rubbish and some contains things that are harmful to hedgehogs such as mealworms.

Yes, I read that too. But if I put cat food out, all I will get is cats. I don't know what harm it's likely to do to hedgehogs - a lot less than the constant traffic zooming along our road. I've quite surprised we have any hedgehogs to be honest.

I got a short, sweet video last night when the camera was triggered by a fox, but a hedgehog was already at the bowl. The fox disappeared pretty promptly when it saw the hedgehog, and the hedgehog wrapped itself up into a ball and then began an impressive heavy breathing routine. I'll link to it when I've uploaded it.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #27 on: 04 October, 2020, 04:43:44 pm »
Not a video:

EK002706 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #28 on: 08 October, 2020, 09:09:34 am »
I've been setting my camera most nights but I haven't had a hedgehog visit for well over a week. I would have thought it's far too early for them to have started hibernating even though the weather has got a lot cooler.

I've decided to move the saucer of food to a more open space and I'm getting a more panoramic view of our patio and anything that ventures onto it, and it has allowed me to observe foxes' behaviour. For both of the last two nights, when it has finished eating and drinking, the fox has carefully pissed into either the food bowl or water bowl. OK, mark your territory by all means, but that seems a bit extreme.

Having said that, some while ago my brother came down to the delight that a fox had shat directly into his rain gauge.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #29 on: 26 April, 2021, 09:24:16 am »
No hedgehogs, badgers or mice spotted as yet this year. A cat comes every night to help itself to food, and this visitor makes very brief appearances, seemingly very wary of the camera

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #30 on: 07 September, 2021, 07:57:43 am »
I've had a fence replaced. The gap left under the panel wasn't as high as I'd asked, but with a bit of excavation it still possible for hedgehogs to squeeze underneath. Just.

https://youtu.be/7IetE4xrEJM

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #31 on: 10 September, 2021, 08:06:56 am »
I've had a fence replaced. The gap left under the panel wasn't as high as I'd asked, but with a bit of excavation it still possible for hedgehogs to squeeze underneath. Just.

Not enough space under the new fence for one of Tuesday night's hedgehogs, who took matters into his own hands paws(?). 60 1-minute clips edited down to just under 5 minutes:

https://youtu.be/BoUVPvN7sVY

« Reply #32 on: 16 October, 2021, 02:25:14 pm »
Very good! Does the first hedgehog have a sore on face, right hand side of the nose? Or ticks perhaps.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #33 on: 22 March, 2022, 10:19:15 am »
They're back (2 at least at a guess). Not coming in from next door via the gap under the fence, but exiting that way.

https://youtu.be/SbFuwLIHMA8

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #34 on: 26 March, 2022, 01:03:37 pm »
Some cat-hedgehog interaction last night. https://youtu.be/coDwSfnxw6k I like the way that the cartoon convention is observed whereby in the dark you can only see eyes*.

Upthread I reported that I hadn't had any hedgehogs in my garden at the end of April. But this year I've already seen several different ones. I remember the weather staying chilly last year much later than usual.

*see https://youtu.be/LUqZmEJ3fb4

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #35 on: 28 March, 2022, 11:49:56 am »
Big fight last night, if a bit one-sided.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #36 on: 07 April, 2022, 07:36:43 am »
I think there was an owl last night. I've never heard one, but my neighbours often do.

https://youtu.be/2JdqFF4Z6hA (normal speed and 30% slow motion, not that it helps)

« Reply #37 on: 08 April, 2022, 08:45:07 am »
With those forward facing eyes, certainly looks like an owl.
We caught one on camera last year - came down to one of the hedgehog feeders, presumably in hope of mice!
We do know we have 4 species of owl - aren't we the lucky ones!

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #38 on: 08 April, 2022, 02:09:58 pm »
We caught one on camera last year - came down to one of the hedgehog feeders, presumably in hope of mice!
We do know we have 4 species of owl - aren't we the lucky ones!
Mice used to be regular visitors to the HH bowls, but I've only seen one so far this year. Perhaps their absence and the appearance of the owl are in some way related.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #39 on: 10 April, 2022, 09:42:45 am »
Less timid than previously. Perhaps it's a different fox, or perhaps it's because my new cheapo camera doesn't have a visible red light whereas the previous cheapo one did.

Click on the image for a 20-second youtube video.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #40 on: 05 September, 2022, 10:09:34 am »
Some interaction last night. The hedgehog didn't seem to be aware of the cat until it fled. A few seconds were cut during which the hedgehog had its head tucked away.

Click on the thumbnail for the youtube video.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph